• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladerunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone have any thoughts on the Brisbane sides, who has the stongest squads to match it with the Southern and Western states.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Call me a tight arse, but is the QRU making a shit load out this JGC or what?
$250.00 for 6 training sessions x 35 players = $8750.00 = $1,458.00 per 2 hour session.
$470.00 for 5 games x 25 players = $11,750.00 = $2,350.00 per game.
The boys are going to have to sell a lot of raffle tickets this year!

Roscoe

Frank Nicholson (4)
Call me a tight arse, but is the QRU making a shit load out this JGC or what?
$250.00 for 6 training sessions x 35 players = $8750.00 = $1,458.00 per 2 hour session.
$470.00 for 5 games x 25 players = $11,750.00 = $2,350.00 per game.
The boys are going to have to sell a lot of raffle tickets this year!

Cyril Connell U16 & Mal Meninga Cup U18
$120
18 training sessions in 2014
12 training sessions in 2015 before comp
1 internal trial game
2 trial games
Squad cut to 25 after trials.
Training & Playing gear supplied

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ If they are in National Gold Squad, or Waratahs U18 Development Squad, or "the Whatever it is now Called" Squad, they may not have time for the Junior Gold Cup training requirements in addition to those of the <insert name> Squad.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^ If they are in National Gold Squad, or Waratahs U18 Development Squad, or "the Whatever it is now Called" Squad, they may not have time for the Junior Gold Cup training requirements in addition to those of the <insert name> Squad.

R A-C is also in the 7s squad

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Funny that rock stars in "mens" Rugby 7's are normally ordinary, or worse, in 15 aside version of the game and vice versa, yet in the 16-18 year age group, both forms of the game seem to want the same kids in their squads.

Our schoolboy 7's teams seem to play that game as if it was a normal game of rugby (or league or touch) with fewer players on the field.

Makes it tough for the Aussie Thunderbolts to win games on the circuit when they need to spend the first year of a players time in that squad "unlearning" their "intuitive" 15 aside game skills and thinking.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting to note some Sydney names not on the list:

Harrison Goddard (Aus Schoolboys)
Luke Lough (need I say more)
Mila Hingano (NSW Schools)
Riley Angles-Corke (NSW Schools)

All four qualify in age for JGC U17s.
All four are walk-ins. They wouldn't even to pay their $10 to trial.

Are there any more notables not on the list I wonder?

I think that some schools are advising their students not to do JGC as they are concerned about injuries and the boys playing too much rugby/contact sport. If boys do JGC two years in a row, that's 24 months straight without much if any break.

EDIT: Which goes to what I said when JGC first came in; great concept but putting another layer of rep football on top was not/is not the way to go, nor is playing/training in January and February. JGC needs to be part of a complete restructure of junior rugby.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I think that some schools are advising their students not to do JGC as they are concerned about injuries and the boys playing too much rugby/contact sport. If boys do JGC two years in a row, that's 24 months straight without much if any break.

EDIT: Which goes to what I said when JGC first came in; great concept but putting another layer of rep football on top was not/is not the way to go, nor is playing/training in January and February. JGC needs to be part of a complete restructure of junior rugby.
Regardless of when it is played, I personally think it is great that the more fancied players haven't put their names forward, from what i have seen there are plenty of boys getting exposure to better coaching, learning new skills, etc etc. Maybe when these boys go back to club or school or turn up at a trial day they will look better and the more fancied players have to actually work to get into a representative team or may even miss out. If we have 5 extra kids who can compete at a higher level come the end of April happy days IMO.

Until there is a uniformed approach you'll never have full change, as they say "too many cook....." NSW Rugby, SJRU, Schools all want control with nobody willing to backdown.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I agree, I think this is a program for kids who do not participate in a strong program with their School.
If you are already getting it at School you are nuts doing this in Summer when you could be surfing.

Agree - I was always for the JGC for the purpose of giving kids outside the big rugby school associations something that they wouldn't otherwise get.

In Sydney terminology: I wouldn't be fussed if none of the best players of the GPS or CAS put themselves forward because they already get the best of everything on a plate. They also have rep games at some time through their school days to showcase their play for club scouts.

I'd rather leave the spots in the JGC squads for lads outside of these schools though I wouldn't mind if some kids from the GPS or CAS who were being overlooked for the Ones of their age group took the JGC route to get noticed.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I agree that the real value in the JGC is the involvement of players from outside the traditional rugby schools. With the exception of the The Nationals, the JGC has the highest exposure to the ARU staffers and scouts. I understand that the ARU allocated scouts to all of the JGC rounds and observations and evaluations were logged on players were logged the aru's data base. Very good opportunity for any of the boys in it to be noticed.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
If you are involved in one of the centres, have you received your gear yet? My centre some boys got gear last wednesday others didn't, the reason stated was that they had paid, but there were 20 parents standing around who said we have also paid, to which the reply was "oh yes, someone is away at NSW so they haven't checked who has paid for the past week or so, maybe they will update me before sunday" No gear was given out on Sunday so I guess not. Things must be tough at NSW, one person is away so nothing gets done. I know they are spread really thin, it must be a tough gig for them. I really do feel for them the JGC could be fantastic for Junior rugby, the coaching the boys at our centre are getting is first class, but the adminastrative support just isn't there, too much work for too few people.:(

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hope people aren't in this for the gear: last year in some centres you were told to play in whatever shorts of your own you had.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Hope people aren't in this for the gear: last year in some centres you were told to play in whatever shorts of your own you had.
No not in it for the clothing I was hoping that they might have learnt from last year, they seem to have learnt a lot but in some instances it would appear they learnt nothing. i.e. communication and promising something and not delivering.

Status
Not open for further replies.