• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Merry Christmas guys, be safe and bring on the rugby in the new year. :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Brisbane teams begin training again on Wednesday after having over 6 weeks break.
Being one of the last centres to hold trials, select players and begin training, they only had 2 weeks training before the break and have about 2 weeks training after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Brisbane teams begin training again on Wednesday after having over 6 weeks break.
Being one of the last centres to hold trials, select players and begin training, they only had 2 weeks training before the break and have about 2 weeks training after.

Doesn't sound good. But I doubt anyone is having a perfect prep to the upcoming games. My money however is on the Gold Coast in the u15's.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
My money is on the Ipswich boys. :p
Hey, my heart is with the Ippy boys, that's for sure!! I've seen a couple of training sessions so far and they look really good. Big forwards, good backs (with some younger players). It will be interesting to see how they go in their practice game against Logan this week.

I mention the Gold Coast as favourites due to a number reasons. Last year saw the Surfers Paradise u14's team easily win the BJRU Div 1 final and the two 'evenly' distributed Gold Coast teams came first (and third??) in the State Championships. So if the Gold Cup team is largely made up of those players, I'm sure they will be the team to beat. Maybe someone who knows more can fill us in on the make up of the team and how they are looking.

But I'll be waving the Ippy flag with you PJ :)

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Hey, my heart is with the Ippy boys, that's for sure!! I've seen a couple of training sessions so far and they look really good. Big forwards, good backs (with some younger players). It will be interesting to see how they go in their practice game against Logan this week.

I mention the Gold Coast as favourites due to a number reasons. Last year saw the Surfers Paradise u14's team easily win the BJRU Div 1 final and the two 'evenly' distributed Gold Coast teams came first (and third??) in the State Championships. So if the Gold Cup team is largely made up of those players, I'm sure they will be the team to beat. Maybe someone who knows more can fill us in on the make up of the team and how they are looking.

But I'll be waiving the Ippy flag with you PJ :)
When and where is this trial game, wouldn't mind going to see the boys play.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)

What's the go with the Brissy sides, it seem they are really missing out training wise, and really getting less value for money compared to other centers.

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)

But I'll be waving the Ippy flag with you PJ :)

Tashara,

Whilst it may have been a good win within the BJRU comp, no win is ever easy. It was definitely not an easy win for the Gold Coast boys, the Brisbane Pink team only lost by a disallowed try. I believe the 2nd team finished 5th. The Logan and Brisbane White boy's will give them a run for their money, and never write off WA. They have been training 4 times a week since early October.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Paty305,

What do BJRU do that is so moronic?

What should they do to be less moronic?

What would you do to fix it if you were in charge of them?

Have they done anything right?

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Tashara,

Whilst it may have been a good win within the BJRU comp, no win is ever easy. It was definitely not an easy win for the Gold Coast boys, the Brisbane Pink team only lost by a disallowed try. I believe the 2nd team finished 5th. The Logan and Brisbane White boy's will give them a run for their money, and never write off WA. They have been training 4 times a week since early October.

Thanks for the info rugbysthewinner... sounds like there is plenty of competition out there. And you're right about WA and I would also add in Victoria who I believe won the u15's last year (??). The state selected teams can be very dangerous.

My point about the GC team was that the winning State Champ team was not their 1st team - both teams were created as two evenly distributed teams (one just ending up being a bit stronger than the other. Many on the other GC team would have been selected in a 1st team if they had one - hence; if this Gold Cup team is doing exactly that, then they will be significantly stronger than either State Champ team - but I don't have details beyond that - merely speculating. But hey, I love hearing how the other teams are going and everyone's in it with a shot.

I'll get to see how Ippy and Logan go this Sunday, although I'm sure both coaches will be looking to try different combinations and giving all players as much time as possible over the four quarters.

Allen Oxlade (6)
I know the boys get to keep the money, sorry I re-read my post and can see the confusion. Yep the boys keep the money and it more than covers the cost of the program. It's nice. ie. nice work ARU. No sarcasm. All good.

Again the kids in the thugby league rep teams don't pay a cracker! Zero, zip, nothing.... IT'S FREE!!! They don't sell raffle tickets either.
As long as the ARU just aims its market at the private school boys that have money our game will be stuck in the perception of rugby is only for the rich. If you don't have money we don't want you.

ajb

Frank Row (1)
I know the boys get to keep the money, sorry I re-read my post and can see the confusion. Yep the boys keep the money and it more than covers the cost of the program. It's nice. ie. nice work ARU. No sarcasm. All good.
The cost of the goldcup for the u17 team is $960 /boy .There are a total of $500 of raffle tickets supplied to each boy to sell to offset the cost.I am just settling the discussion with the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.