• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I hope this is the last of the bad news we hear about JGC.

It seems that some of the assumptions underpinning the costings of the programme may have been a little ambitious and overly optimistic. I hope the ARU don't go all ARC on us and can the programme on cost grounds before it has had a proper chance to get established.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I see on the Sydney gold site a reference the the Brisbane and Gold coast side playing the curtain raiser to the Reds v Rebels trial game. Good to see the Brisbane guys delivering on their promise to the boys of games before super matches.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I see on the Sydney gold site a reference the the Brisbane and Gold coast side playing the curtain raiser to the Reds v Rebels trial game. Good to see the Brisbane guys delivering on their promise to the boys of games before super matches.

That will be the trial game at Ballymore, still a good experience. Hope the below works, images of the Brisbane team's kit:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash4/t1/q81/s720x720/995844_10153785126970367_1238404345_n.jpg

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
And well done to Pizza Capers for coming to the party. Teenage boys never have a problem with a bit of pizza splashed on their front. Need more like minded generous sponsors.

Ruckhard

Bob McCowan (2)
Well the first games are nearly upon us and I for one am looking forward to it.
Been really happy with the different approach to my lads teams (u15's bne) coaching apart from still haven't had a contact session (which I find very strange), whilst the other groups have been knocking lumps out of each other.

I think having walked around the groups every Sunday and Wednesday that the "first xv's" of each team colour are pretty much equal, what will be interesting is the squad strength as each player is supposed to have equal time (which just plain old irritates me). It is clear to me that the squad strengths are very different and the ability within the squads is so very varied from most capable to least capable. Never the less great experience for all I would guess.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Anyone know what time this Curtain raiser kicks off? Main game's at 7.40.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Some interesting trial games played yesterday between North West and Northern Sydney. Northern Sydney won the 15's 7 tries to 5 in very hot conditions. Both team looked like they needed the run, continuity was poor and both teams tried too hard to score quickly. Only watched the first half of the 17's but North West appeared too strong for Northern racing in 3 unanswered tried in the first 25 minutes, with a number of their strongest players sitting on the bench. Northern were playing a very deep attack and failed on many occasions when they went to the backs to get anywhere near the advantage line, which put them under huge pressure.
I'm sure all the boys involved will be better for the hit out and it will hold them well once the season proper kicks off.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
The invite on the facebook pages states 5.30pm

I can only say what was happening in Melbourne last year. All curtain raisers kicked off at either 5:05 or 5:10, although they were for 70-80 minute matches.

I am not sure how long these games are going to be, whether the ARU are going to shorten them or if they are going to be normal ARU times etc. If the pack says 5:30 then go with that.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Would you think that the $600 odd you pay to join this pathway included playing shorts?
You'd be wrong if you want XL - which I would have thought was a fairly common size in rugby

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Or the supply to the teams of XXXL shirts.........I know there are some big lads out there, but that seems a bit over the top !

Perhaps the intern doing the ordering doesn't have children......

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
I certainly would have thought that 3XL in the U15s would be a special request not something handed out to 14 and 15 year old outside backs, seems the clothing has been a miss match every where. Quite disappointing really.

Roastie

Bob McCowan (2)
It seems it's different in different zones. In the Illawarra, the boys were sized for their playing shorts as they did not arrive with the main order. And from what I've been told they have arrived and will be able to keep them at the end of the competition.

The sizes in general have been too big. The managers advised that they had to upsize more than half of each squad at least one size.

With regards to money, it has only cost me $160 as my son has sold all of his raffle tickets, but I do get the point.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Will you all stop complaining about the kits sizes :rolleyes:. After the JGC has finish all us old fat guys will be able to run around in JGC gear an re live our childhood dreams :).

Actually, my sons 97 cm shorts are 10 cm too large for me :D and 15 cm too large for him :oops:.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby Shorts have a long life.

Your boy will not always be 83cm waist.

97cm shorts are a very wise investment, and when your lad has long finished playing rugby, the shorts will be useful for around the house jobs like garden maintenance, bushwalking, painting etc.

The balance of probabilities suggest that the shorts will be the right size then.

Give the unpaid interns at ARU some credit for their forward thinking.:)

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Would be interested to get everyone's thoughts after the ARU announced poor financials. Will this mean that the JGC is a one year scenario? I have spoken to many centres who have not been able to attract the required sponsorship, and as such, this may impact the cost. I would like to think the ARU has growth as a key area, but lack of money may force changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.