• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i got this post earlier but it seems to have been deleted

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/aru-junior-gold-cup-national-junior-championships.11929/page-28#post-577556

Well those Victorian boys sure showed that they are the real deal by winning all three of thier on the road games over the past three days ..both 15s and 17s need a huge pat on the back .well done and rest up as you now have two weeks off ..

That central coast 17's side played out of thier skins yesterday and pushed Victoria all the way until a couple of late tries blew out the score line, 10-8 would have been a more realistic score line .

West Sydney didnt deliver what was promised to be a encounter of the big forwards, somehow the bruised and battered and very worn out Vic forwards dominated and didnt give WS a chance to get into the game allowing a slick unit of backs to execute and deliver.

View this Thread​

Kyle Salter

Frank Row (1)
U15
Vic 46 def. Central Coast 0
Vic 22 def. Western Sydney 17

U17
Vic 24 def. 7 Central Coast
Vic 41 def. 13 Western Sydney

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
A tremendous effort by the Victorian players and coaching staff who can now enjoy their time back home preparing for the balance of the tournament.

Will continue to watch their progress with keen interest.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Have to say the performances of the Vic and WA boy's has been very encouraging for the game at the junior level in terms of quality across the board. I even noticed the SA boy's results weren't all that terrible which considering I would have thought they would have struggled the most in a competition of this level.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
WA finished it's grueling campaign tonight against Brisbane Orange.

U15's finished with a comfortable win (I didn't get the final score) to go 3 and 2. Both losses were heart breakers so it was good for the boys to finish on a high note.

U17's had a very tough encounter, particularly after debatable a red card for an unsafe tackle left them 1 short for a lengthy period. 8 - 8 was a fair result for 2 teams who left it all on the park. A fantastic, absorbing game.

The result has WA 17's tying up Pool D with 4 wins and a draw.

The word is that the Semi Final will be played in Perth. After a tough travel schedule and 5 games in 7 days, a home final will be very welcome.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Watched the first 40 minutes of the Northwest v South Aus U17. North west were up 3 tries to 1 with SA working hard through the forwards 10 out and NW defending. Impressed with SA especially with their set pieces which were causing all sorts of problems. Feel that they might of benefited from their roadtrip as they were not the easybeats that I was expecting to see. Anyone know the final score.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
this from the rebels website today

The Melbourne Rebels U17s and U15s have returned home following a hugely successful New South Wales tour in the Junior Gold Cup competition.
The U17s, following on from their first up victory against Sydney North Harbour in Melbourne, won all three matches on tour and currently sit on top of Pool A.
RaboDirect Rebels' General Manager of Elite Pathways, Matt Tink, was impressed with the performance of the team coached by Simon Strachan and Nic Henderson.
"The first game, the boys left at least seven tries out on the field by my calculations," Tink said. "It took them a while to gel, but in saying that it was a tough assignment having flown earlier that day and then sat on a bus for two hours. Once they found their rhythm they were excellent.
"They were without regular Captain Sione Tuipulotu for the whole tour, who was sidelined following a head knock suffered the week prior. Their toughest game was against Central Coast, where they trailed at half time but closed it out during the final fifteen minutes.
"That was really pleasing considering our boys are not renowned for their fitness. Connor Daly, who looks after their Strength & Conditioning, did an outstanding job and it was really pleasing for them to step up. They completed their tournament with a strong victory over Sydney West.
"Robert Leota played both lock and Number Eight, and was outstanding. He led well, and is a follow-me type captain; he wasn't necessarily the obvious choice to step up as skipper in Sione's absence, but he did a brilliant job.
"Flyhalf Josh Coward had a great three days in attack, and Nicholas Donghi was good at fullback as well. We're really pleased with the development of lock John Schwalger, who is coming along really nicely as well.
"Simon and Nic have a great combination as coaches, and we are really pleased to see that. They have a genuine rapport with the boys, and they are improving the squad every week.
U17 vs. Illawarra
38 - 5
Tries: Jordan Uelese, Oisin Clarken (2), William Sila, Michael Sega
Conversions: Nicholas Donghi (2), Josh Coward (2), Oisin Clarken
Penalties: Nicholas Donghi
U17 vs. Central Coast
24-7
Tries: Robert Leota, Puni Aupuni (2)
Conversions: Josh Coward (3)
Penalties: Josh Coward
U17 vs. Sydney West
43-13
Tries: Robert Leota, Josh Coward (2), Oisin Clarken, Sean Faamausili, Michael Sega, Nicholas Donghi
Conversions: Josh Coward (3), Nicholas Donghi
The U15 side also chalked up three victories, and top their poolwith one match remaining.
"The victories were not comfortable; they had to work hard," Tink said. "In the first two matches, the back end of the games turned into blowouts for us a little bit, but they were tough opponents. Our final match, against Sydney West, they had to come from behind to win and it's an absolute credit to the players and the staff.
"The U15s have a great backline that can score lots of points, but the forwards have worked very hard and there are a number of talented kids who can carry the ball. We'd love to see the team as excited in defence as they are in attack.
"Scrumhalf Phoenix Hunt played very well and we're really excited with his development, and there were a few other standouts; however one thing that we saw out of the 15s was the team effort, which was really pleasing. There a few boys who weren't in the Victorian U14s last year, and it's good to see a few late developers or perhaps guys we missed last year coming through. That's part of the process.
"There's the final pool round match to come, against Western New South Wales, who are the raw-boned country kids from just past the Blue Mountains. They'll be tough opposition when we host them at Harlequins on Sunday March 23rd.
"Greg Coward and Dave Southwood were pleased, but they know that there is still plenty to work on and so do the boys before progressing into the semi finals."
U15 vs. Illawarra
31-12
Tries: Jacob Cordtz, Kenneth Leota, Miniti Ofamooni, Tobias Sanerive, Alpha Vili
Conversions: Navarre Haisila (3)
U15 vs. Central Coast
46-0
Tries: Jacob Cordtz (2), Antonio Faamausili, Shaedyn Folau, Tolu Jnr. Lavea (2), Jacob Tavae, Sione Tui
Conversions: Navarre Haisila, Phoenix Hunt (2)
U15 vs. Sydney West
22-17
Tries: Kenneth Leota, Miniti Ofamooni, Nigel Toafa
Conversions: Navarre Haisila (2)
Penalties: Navarre Haisila
Tink said that the trip was an overwhelming success on and off the field.
"I'm not overly surprised with the results given how much hard work has gone in, but pretty pleased with the position both teams are sitting in. I would like to make special mention of the parents of both squads who were able to travel with the team. They were unbelievably encouraging and vocal, in a very positive way, and were a great support for the boys and the staff.
"All the feedback from the parents has been great, and we have had nothing but positive feedback regarding the behaviour of the squad. The management of the accommodation, the bus drivers and even the Qantas flight attendants made special mention of how fantastic the kids were, and their behaviour off the field has been as good as their performance on the field."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for posting that swingpass. The Vic boys have done great.

I did an interview with Hugh Carpenter, the Junior Gold Manager, in this blog:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the-junior-gold-cup-is-kicking-its-goals/

So if you want to give some feedback to the ARU please do so in the comments below the article. I think they'd appreciate what you have to say.

10 to 12—Hugie—Delphy

I used some quotes from your posts and I hope you don't mind—and Jasdec and HJ Nelson, I used one each of your photos but gave you credit.

Cheers

LG

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If this is the success that it has the potential to be, I still see two elephants.

These could be tamed and brought into line with the new JGC pathway, but is the will there from ARU to go elephant hunting?

Elephant 1 - NSW JRU State Champs (and SJRU regional champs) leading into the SJRU U16, and NSW Country U16 team at National U16 championships.

Elephant 2 - Schools. Aust Schoolboy championships as opposed to Aust U18 Championships. Aust Schoolboys Team (and Aust A) as opposed to an ARU Under 18.

Elephants are a little NSW centric. QLD seem to have sorted the issue with elephant 1 whereby they have Red and White teams at National U16, but there is still a disparate pathway into those teams from club as opposed to school based footy.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No Big Arse,there are more elephants in The Oz junior pathway,than in the fucking Kruger National Park.
FFS the Qld GPS are even importing interstate kids.
Which is fine,except that now they are playing for fucking sheep stations,all they do is recruit athletes and discourage football players,playing fucking Rugby.
Now we get all the GPS 10's being natural runners,cos it's the conservative way to play,and 12's that are limited to being crash ballers.
When you recruit a team of stars,you coach them to play a dumb game,because you know that without risk,one on one,eventually your stars will break a tackle.
Great for winning comps,not so good to develop skills.

Sorry,this rant is not directed at you,but at the status quo.

Interested party

Frank Nicholson (4)
If this is the success that it has the potential to be, I still see two elephants.

These could be tamed and brought into line with the new JGC pathway, but is the will there from ARU to go elephant hunting?

Elephant 1 - NSW JRU State Champs (and SJRU regional champs) leading into the SJRU U16, and NSW Country U16 team at National U16 championships.

Elephant 2 - Schools. Aust Schoolboy championships as opposed to Aust U18 Championships. Aust Schoolboys Team (and Aust A) as opposed to an ARU Under 18.

Elephants are a little NSW centric. QLD seem to have sorted the issue with elephant 1 whereby they have Red and White teams at National U16, but there is still a disparate pathway into those teams from club as opposed to school based footy.

Not a worry anymore as the ARU have cancelled the ARU U16s Nationals!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No Big Arse,there are more elephants in The Oz junior pathway,than in the fucking Kruger National Park.
FFS the Qld GPS are even importing interstate kids.
Which is fine,except that now they are playing for fucking sheep stations,all they do is recruit athletes and discourage football players,playing fucking Rugby.
Now we get all the GPS 10's being natural runners,cos it's the conservative way to play,and 12's that are limited to being crash ballers.
When you recruit a team of stars,you coach them to play a dumb game,because you know that without risk,one on one,eventually your stars will break a tackle.
Great for winning comps,not so good to develop skills.

Sorry,this rant is not directed at you,but at the status quo.
This is one of if not the best exposition of the long term problem created by stacking teams, particularly school teams.

Andrew Cropley

Frank Row (1)
Watched the first 40 minutes of the Northwest v South Aus U17. North west were up 3 tries to 1 with SA working hard through the forwards 10 out and NW defending. Impressed with SA especially with their set pieces which were causing all sorts of problems. Feel that they might of benefited from their roadtrip as they were not the easybeats that I was expecting to see. Anyone know the final score.

The final score was 36-10 for Sydney NW. SNW scored in the first 5 minutes of the second half, then SA scored after 10 minutes, for 22-10. There were then 2 quick tries by SNW in the middle of the second half, one a 50m break, made it 36-10. No more scoring for the rest of the game, and some good attacking by SA as well.

Considering that we had several starting players out injured after a very tough 4 games in 5 days, SA felt they put up a good fight, in this and all of their games. Definitely hope to benefit from the exposure to tough competition.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Not a worry anymore as the ARU have cancelled the ARU U16s Nationals!

Very strange ...as I heard only two days ago that NSW Country has confirmed they will be fielding a team in the 2014 U16 National Championships.

Despite this confirmation this is the second time inas many days that I've heard the 2014 National U16 Champs have been canned.

Can anyone shed some light on this in the form of a press release or other credible source?

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Very strange .as I heard only two days ago that NSW Country has confirmed they will be fielding a team in the 2014 U16 National Championships.

Despite this confirmation this is the second time inas many days that I've heard the 2014 National U16 Champs have been canned.

Can anyone shed some light on this in the form of a press release or other credible source?
Heard it from both inside the NSW Schools and also contacts familiar with the SJRU. So it would be fairly safe to say the National 16's will not be hosted by the ARU.

Status
Not open for further replies.