• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Heard it from both inside the NSW Schools and also contacts familiar with the SJRU. So it would be fairly safe to say the National 16's will not be hosted by the ARU.

Heard it from both inside the NSW Schools and also contacts familiar with the SJRU. So it would be fairly safe to say the National 16's will not be hosted by the ARU.

Hmmmm, like a good custard the plot thickens.

Interesting however that a decision of such importance has not been declared publicly but instead seems to be doing the laps of the rumor mill.

Maybe it's a case of where there's smoke there's fire?. I for one will be watching to see what appears on the ARU website before believing that it's been canned.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Hmmmm, like a good custard the plot thickens.

Interesting however that a decision of such importance has not been declared publicly but instead seems to be doing the laps of the rumor mill.

Maybe it's a case of where there's smoke there's fire?. I for one will be watching to see what appears on the ARU website before believing that it's been canned.
there's as much smoke and fire on this one as there was at Barangaroo yesterday afternoon.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
fair enough.but this sounds like the same stuff that did the laps more than 12 months ago.

....and now for the next exciting installment...i just read what Brainstrust mentioned in an email from a NSW GPS school. Seems the fire is well and truly burning

Rampage

Frank Row (1)
I heard last year from numerous sources, mainly club rep coaches, that it has been canned but 2 qld schoolboy rep coaches are certain that it won't change.

This year seems to be more talk about qld u16's picked from junior gold cup, I know of a few boys already training with qld u18's don't whether they are schoolboys or club u18's. No idea what is happening at the moment.

Andrew Cropley

Frank Row (1)
Here is the summary of the South Australian tour to NSW last weekend:

S.A Junior Gold Under 15's and 17's return from tour of NSW

After a tough 5 days covering over 1200km in New South Wales, the South Australian Junior Gold Under 15's and 17's have returned home after strong performances against a number of quality Sydney based and regional sides. Parent support while the boys were away was brilliant.

The competitiveness of S.A shows why we deserve to be part of the Junior Gold Cup. Thank you to a loyal group of volunteers who have helped deliver a very professional program over the last 5 months. The fantastic support of Junior Gold Cup sponsors Easy Fuel and Munroe is also acknowledged.

Under 15's
S.A 12 - 55 Sydney South Harbour
S.A 17 - 24 Northern Inland
S.A 14 - 38 Hunter Valley
S.A 12 - 48 Sydney North West

Under 17's
S.A 5 - 22 Sydney South Harbour
S.A 19 - 22 Northern Inland
S.A 12 - 46 Hunter Valley
S.A 10 - 36 Sydney North West

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fair enough.but this sounds like the same stuff that did the laps more than 12 months ago.

There was a rather well placed snout (not Grumbles mate, Radio) who was saying that the 2013 U16's would be the last. I think it was around the time of the tournament that the story was broken on G&GR.

To be fair, that story had been doing the rounds every so often, but not from such reliable sources.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
The reply fromSJRU to follow

Dear CEOs and Game Development Managers,
As part of a number of proposals to reduce costs in 2014 and a round of conversations with each State Union, the ARU has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2014 National U16 Championships.
I appreciate that this decision will be disappointing for you and your stakeholders. We recognise that the National U16 Championships have been an important thread in the pathways of the participating State Unions and affiliates and they have worked valuably to provide opportunity for players at this level. However, we are confident that we have a development pathway that will continue to provide quality exposure and experiences for our talented young players – at state and regional representative levels, including quality offerings for players in the U16 age group.
In the past year in particular, we have done a lot of work to improve the development pathway for our players, coaches and match officials to ensure they can move from junior Rugby right through to the elite level. This work includes establishing the Junior Gold Cup (JGC) for Under 15 and Under 17 teams from across Australia; re-energising the national U20s program providing exposure to eight state/territories and regional areas to national competition; and expanding the Pacific Rugby Cup with the IRB, to include teams from our Super Rugby clubs. This is in addition to the existing junior and school programs to ensure the Rugby pathway continues to be one of the most accessible and varied in the Australian sporting landscape. It is important to communicate that none of the above listed new initiatives have been implemented at the expense of the National U16 Championships.
Through 2014 we will be engaging with all State Unions to further assess and review our development pathways. This process will include State Unions working with their respective stakeholders so that an aligned progressive pathway can continue to evolve and provide all participants with effective access and opportunities.
Through conversations held with many of you in the past few days, I recognise the desire to fill the U16 void in 2014 with alternative talent development and/or representative plans. In order for the ARU to most effectively support these plans, we would encourage you to share any ideas with us. As with all levels of the pathway, we will need to work together and align these activities to get the best results for participants.
I apologise for the relatively late notice of this decision – we were keen to explore all opportunities before having to take this significant step. Please do not hesitate to contact me on 0416 002 065 / ben.whitaker@rugby.com.au if you or your stakeholders have any questions.
Regards

Ben Whitaker

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
SJRU Reply

12 March 2014
To all SJRU Districts, Clubs and Players
We have been advised by the ARU today that the 2014 Under 16 National Championships have been cancelled.
We realise that many players, parents, coaches, and indeed Districts and Clubs, view this tournament as a prestigious stepping stone in the Representative pathway and will be greatly disappointed that it has been cancelled.
Sydney Juniors has immediately commenced discussions with Victoria and ACT to organise a tournament on the October long weekend along similar lines to the Under 16 Nationals. We will also be approaching the other States and inviting them to also participate. Further details of the proposed tournament will be distributed in the next few weeks.
In the meantime the SJRU will be choosing an Under 16’s team from the NSW Regionals on 28 and 29 June which will play NSW Country Juniors in Tamworth on 27 July.
Should you have any queries regarding the above please do not hesitate to email Kerry Brady the SJRU Competitions Manager at kbrady@nswrugby.com.au.
Tony Fisher
President
Sydney Junior Rugby Union

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
SJRU Reply

12 March 2014
To all SJRU Districts, Clubs and Players
We have been advised by the ARU today that the 2014 Under 16 National Championships have been cancelled.
We realise that many players, parents, coaches, and indeed Districts and Clubs, view this tournament as a prestigious stepping stone in the Representative pathway and will be greatly disappointed that it has been cancelled.
Sydney Juniors has immediately commenced discussions with Victoria and ACT to organise a tournament on the October long weekend along similar lines to the Under 16 Nationals. We will also be approaching the other States and inviting them to also participate. Further details of the proposed tournament will be distributed in the next few weeks.
In the meantime the SJRU will be choosing an Under 16’s team from the NSW Regionals on 28 and 29 June which will play NSW Country Juniors in Tamworth on 27 July.
Should you have any queries regarding the above please do not hesitate to email Kerry Brady the SJRU Competitions Manager at kbrady@nswrugby.com.au.
Tony Fisher
President
Sydney Junior Rugby Union

well there you have it...Stay tuned for the next exciting installment.

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
Well to add to the canning of the U16 Titles a source that I trust has told me that the BJRU will not be providing U15 and U17 teams for this year's State Titles.

It seems like we are providing this great new delepment pathway with the Junior Gold Cup and then hoping that the boys will hang around even though they will have limited representative opportunities for 12 months; Qld Schoolboy trials the only opportunity I would suggest.

Adam Osborne

Frank Nicholson (4)
Brumbies U15 win over Sydney North West, 24 to 12. As predicted it was a very physical game. A credit to all those involved.

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sydney South Harbour U15's were too strong in the forwards and beat Hunter 14-0 I think it was.

U17's saw plenty of errors by both sides in a close contest and undisciplined play by Sydney South cost them dearly. If you are going to have league players in your team then at least teach them the take the ball into contact and to set up the next phase instead of kicking the ball when in the oppositions 22. A great effort by Sydney South though.

Hunter won 18-10 but needed a bonus point for a chance to qualify. I erred in not turning on the video camera for the first 2 minutes of play but then filmed for another 34.5 minutes. Interesting considering time is not added for injuries.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Within the Brisbane under 15's to Brisbane teams will fight it out in pool C for the winner in the group. Should be an interesting game

The other pool I believe sees Gold Coast and Brisbane yellow at the top. The lady I was talking to today was under the impression that if Gold Coast win both games by a bonus point (Which they are capable of doing) that they would go through.

Interesting to see ACT dominate its pool so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom