• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Baa Baa's Vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Sharpe is our best lineout jumper, also he's the 2nd best ball carrying lock. However we don't really need improvement in those areas, especially if we've got better ball carriers coming back into the side (Higgers, TPN, Palu etc.). We need physical players that will win collisions in the tackle and breakdown areas.

Well maybe we don't need improvement in the lineout or ball carrying, although I would dispute that. Do you think we need worsening by dropping our better exponent of those facets? TPN in BaaBaas, Palu nowhere, Higgers probably benching, so that argument has a few holes for Saturday. After Tests this year, I find it hard to believe you really think Sharpe is deservingly 4th in the pecking order. Anyway, 'tis up to Robbie, and no-one knows what he is up to.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bit concerned about Palu's form and fitness if he's not ready to play Canada in the Aus Baabaas. How many club / warm up games will he get under his belt before the WC?

Unless he gets some full 80 minute club games, don't see how Palu could be considered a starting player in the WC side. Even Brown would be better than a woefully out of form Palu, sadly.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Definitely not 4th. I think he's ahead of Simmons and I'd have him on the bench but I do think Vickerman and Horwill offer much more than Sharpie. I think it's very important to win the collisions against the ABs, SA showed this on the weekend.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Bit concerned about Palu's form and fitness if he's not ready to play Canada in the Aus Baabaas. How many club / warm up games will he get under his belt before the WC?

Unless he gets some full 80 minute club games, don't see how Palu could be considered a starting player in the WC side. Even Brown would be better than a woefully out of form Palu, sadly.

This I DO NOT BELIEVE. Added to that, Palu's form for the Tahs coming back from injury did not need half a season to get to where it should be, just a couple of games. Like Russia and Italy perhaps. He was really good against the Clan till Thompson broke his shoulder blade in a freak incident.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As far as Palu goes, I am sure he is "fit" enough, maybe not match fit. But the Wallabies coaching and medical team would have scrutinised him pretty damn closely prior to picking him. I guess they feel there will be enough time to get him playing. I guess? :(

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Robbie: mad genius or plain mad?

You do not take injured players to a World-freaking-Cup. Nor do you fuck with form.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
As far as Palu goes, I am sure he is "fit" enough, maybe not match fit. But the Wallabies coaching and medical team would have scrutinised him pretty damn closely prior to picking him. I guess they feel there will be enough time to get him playing. I guess? :(

As long as he get's his hands on the ball early to get himself into a game, she'll be right.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I wonder if he will have time for Manly initially

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am a Palu fan but they would be better off taking Hodgson rather than Palu with no playing time under his belt

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
This I DO NOT BELIEVE. Added to that, Palu's form for the Tahs coming back from injury did not need half a season to get to where it should be, just a couple of games. Like Russia and Italy perhaps. He was really good against the Clan till Thompson broke his shoulder blade in a freak incident.

Guess we will disagree then. After a few games Palu went OK for the Tahs, but he was hardly in game-affecting form. and I don't need to point out the difference between the Clan and a test side. And what will a big, strong bustler like Palu gain from an 80 point hiding of Russia? Games for Manly would be better for him. A few easy pool games and a tight-ish Italy game won't be enough for Palu to get back his match fitness when he hasn't played for 3 - 4 months.

A big guy like Palu needs matches to get back match fitness, and confidence in contact to get back to where he was. And no matter who the player is, after long injury lay offs if takes a while to get back to form. Like FP, I desperately hope Palu gets a few full 80 minute games for Manly.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
to anyone who knows canadian rugby>>>
what can u tell me about mike scholtz? inside back i believe

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
to anyone who knows canadian rugby>>>
what can u tell me about mike scholtz? inside back i believe

didn't look all that flash in either of the USA games.
contrast him with DTH Van de Merwe outside him and its like men and boys. DTH runs great lines, great hands, great pace and good foot skills. Scholtz just seems to run straight and make some of his tackles.
I think he's a weak link in the inside backs. DTH solid, Ander monro (ex magners league player) solid as well. wouldn't be overly surprised to see someone else get a bit of a run at 12. who though? im not sure.
he'll get done by giteau is the bottom line.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Three Changes for Australian Barbarians

Meanwhile there are three changes to the Australian Barbarians side that will face
Canada at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast from the line-up announced on Sunday. Mark
Gerrard, Matt Giteau and Ben Daley are all unavailable. Their places in the match
night squad have been taken by Bernard Foley, Ben Lucas and Greg Holmes.

The revised Australian Barbarians team to play Canada at Skilled Park on Friday
night, (please note, kick-off is at 7.30pm AEST, not 8.05pm as previously advised)
is:

15. Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs)
14. Rod Davies (Queensland Reds)
13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Ben Tapuai (Queensland Reds)
11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
10. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
9. Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels)
8. Pat McCutcheon (NSW Waratahs)
7. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
6. Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force, captain)
4. Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs)
3. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
1. Pekahou Cowan (Western Force)

Run on Reserves:

16. James Hanson (Queensland Reds)
17. Greg Holmes (Queensland Reds)
18. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
19. Beau Robinson (Queensland Reds)
20. Ben Lucas (Queensland Reds)
21. Luke Morahan (Queensland Reds)
22. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs)

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
gits pulled the plug?

if so, i don't think i blame him. it's clear he's not part of the set up so what's the real use of playing canada?

if someone gets crocked he'll either be brought in or not. no need for a trial or injury comeback run like most of the other guys selected. everyone knows what you're getting from him at this point.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I like the side better, in that Taps and Foley are the future, as compared to Gerrard and Gits. Not to diss either either of the latter. Nice for Holmes also. Daley still not 100%?

Status
Not open for further replies.