• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Transforming a letter of intent into a legally-binding contract with the governing body seems like a MASSIVE jump. Considering the reports that QC (Quade Cooper) allegedly wants to stay, you can't seem him happily transforming his intent into a legally-binding contract.

One of the contract lawyers: can you think of any legal precedent where this has worked and would stick?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Manly 1st grade hooker Porecki off to Saracens.

Shute Shield becoming a significant recruiting ground for French and UK clubs. Plenty of people want to bag SS - strange that overseas clubs seem to have a hgher opinion of its players than do some people in Australian rugby.

I can't help but think that Australian rugby could make much better use of SS and its Brisbane equivalent.

T

Train Without a Station

What? No players are signed to Aus Super Rugby teams out of Shute shield and hospitals cup?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What? No players are signed to Aus Super Rugby teams out of Shute shield and hospitals cup?

Your hostility towards Shute Shield is well known. Few players are actually signed out of SS and it's equivalent - most super players come straight from the schools program and those who don't make it are left to play grade rugby or go overseas.

T

Train Without a Station

No. My hostility is towards the attitude that Shute Shield should be funded and prioritised as a right, not a basis of the results.

Your comment is made from the view that there is a fault.

Which hooker's place in a Super Rugby team should have gone to Porecki?

Because otherwise you have no point. He is surplus to the professional requirements here if there is not a player he deserves a super rugby contract over.

A country with 14 professional teams will always sign fringe players from a country with only 5.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We gonna do this? Really?

There are 38 top level clubs in Europe (12 Premiership, 12 Pro12, 14 Top14). There are another 26 clubs in the 2nd tier (12 Championship, 14 ProD2) who will all be filled with full time professionals. Due to the lengths of the seasons, most of these will be running with roughly 45 man squads. Mental maths, that's more than 2800 professional contracts up for grabs.

Whereas over here, we've got 5, 35 man squads, meaning less than 180 contracts are available to players. It's no surprise that players that are on the edges of Super Squads, in this case, Dave Porecki, Pat Sio, and I think Matt Lucas get signed overseas before getting a look in.

Besides, the Shute Shield is hardly alone. The ITM Cup and the Currie Cup get pillaged with far greater regularity than the Sydney and Brisbane comps.

Hell, the outside center in the Stade Francais side for the final and his brother were signed directly from the Dewar Shield! Any SS players you can say did that?

T

Train Without a Station

Highlander is quite an anomaly the amount of players signed to Top 14 from Victoria considering the relative strength of the competition against Bris, Syd and Canberra. Not a bad effort for a still evolving and growing competition.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We gonna do this? Really?

There are 38 top level clubs in Europe (12 Premiership, 12 Pro12, 14 Top14). There are another 26 clubs in the 2nd tier (12 Championship, 14 ProD2) who will all be filled with full time professionals. Due to the lengths of the seasons, most of these will be running with roughly 45 man squads. Mental maths, that's more than 2800 professional contracts up for grabs.

Whereas over here, we've got 5, 35 man squads, meaning less than 180 contracts are available to players. It's no surprise that players that are on the edges of Super Squads, in this case, Dave Porecki, Pat Sio, and I think Matt Lucas get signed overseas before getting a look in.

Besides, the Shute Shield is hardly alone. The ITM Cup and the Currie Cup get pillaged with far greater regularity than the Sydney and Brisbane comps.

Hell, the outside center in the Stade Francais side for the final and his brother were signed directly from the Dewar Shield! Any SS players you can say did that?

Mali Hingano signed straight from SS.

No one said the Shute Shield was alone and if you go back and read my posts, you'll not that I talk of equivalent competitions elsewhere.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No. My hostility is towards the attitude that Shute Shield should be funded and prioritised as a right, not a basis of the results.

Because otherwise you have no point. He is surplus to the professional requirements here if there is not a player he deserves a super rugby contract over.

A country with 14 professional teams will always sign fringe players from a country with only 5.

Go back and read my post at #2164. You'll note that I never said Porecki should have been signed by a super team in place of anyone. What I said was:

strange that overseas clubs seem to have a hgher opinion of its players than do some people in Australian rugby.

I can't help but think that Australian rugby could make much better use of SS and its Brisbane equivalent.

T

Train Without a Station

Apologies. I misread your comment "some people" and mistook that as meaning that players are being overlooked by teams.

But still I will not back down on the view that the Shute shield is not viable is a top tier from a commercial or high performance perspective.

The current hierarchy right now is exactly how it should be.

But most importantly, is it a surprise that an uncontracted player who played NRC and has made their Super Rugby debut has been signed overseas. Was he just signed on his Shute shield career? Or has his games at the higher tier been what put him on the radar?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Apologies. I misread your comment "some people" and mistook that as meaning that players are being overlooked by teams.

But still I will not back down on the view that the Shute shield is not viable is a top tier from a commercial or high performance perspective.

The current hierarchy right now is exactly how it should be.

But most importantly, is it a surprise that an uncontracted player who played NRC and has made their Super Rugby debut has been signed overseas. Was he just signed on his Shute shield career? Or has his games at the higher tier been what put him on the radar?

Other than the Wallabies, no part of the professional game in Australia is commercially viable. Super rugby and the NRC are both subsidised to varying degrees by the national body. The point I continually make is that the stronger that SS and it's equivalents are, the better for the NRC. The stronger the NRC is better for super rugby and so on to the Wallabies.

It isn't a surprise to me that uncontracted players who are playing SS are being targeted by British and French clubs. It's a compliment to the SS. One of the issues facing rugby in Australia is the way we identify and develop talent. At the moment we pick guys when they're 15 and for the most part those guys progress from school rep teams to academies to super contracts. This further narrows our already small talent pool. With the limited number of professional contracts available in Australia this severly limits anyone breaking into super rugby from SS or it's equivalent.

Along with the NRC, the SS et al should be used as a (not the) high performance competition. If that only applies to players centrally contracted by the relevant super side and allocated to club, that's fine by me.

T

Train Without a Station

Maybe in NSW QH. But that's not the case in both QLD and Victoria.

Sefa was contracted from the Dewar Shield.

Kerevi and Kotze were both contracted from the Hospitals Cup.

Teams are open to it. The fact is though, the majority of players will be identified early if they are good enough for that level, and of course playing rugby at that time.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Ah there is a spot in the Rebels and or Qld to start and I am doubtful about the long term prospects of Roach at Super level just on the basis of his scrummaging.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Transforming a letter of intent into a legally-binding contract with the governing body seems like a MASSIVE jump. Considering the reports that QC (Quade Cooper) allegedly wants to stay, you can't seem him happily transforming his intent into a legally-binding contract.

One of the contract lawyers: can you think of any legal precedent where this has worked and would stick?

Employment contracts are rather hard to hold humans to, in the end you want the employee to perform and if his heart isn't in it, why pay him the big money?

But, he is gone.

I am surprised he hasn't chosen the shit that money can't buy approach and followed SBW to go for an Olympic berth. In 20 years what would you prefer?

A couple of extra hundred grand or the memories of going to the Olympics and being an Olympian.

If any unit in the world suits 7s rugby it is Cooper

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ben Volavola to the Crusaders. Has that been mentioned?

Not sure if it has, but I was told on the weekend about it. I find it very odd that a player of his talent isn't wanted by any of the 5 super teams in Australia, but is wanted by an NZ super team.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Jeez Super Rugby is going to be a lesser product in 2016.

Maybe not in 2016, but the Australian part of it can't keep losing quality players from an already small talent pool without it having some impact.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone ;)