• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

TOCC

Maybe not in 2016, but the Australian part of it can't keep losing quality players from an already small talent pool without it having some impact.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone ;)

Not just the Australian part, New Zealand and South Africa are losing some massive names as well... if you look at the players leaving across the 3 countries its quite incredible, if you put them in a team together they would easily rate as one of the best teams in the world.

This is ultimately going to impact on the game in Australia as well, Super Rugby is a comp founded on having the best players playing against each other and this has slowly been eroded by some of the best players all head off to Europe.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Saying he can't get a contract in Australia but then can in NZ.

I don't think we're comparing apples with apples here in any way.

I think he probably could get a contract here it's just the NZ offer brings far more opportunity and possibly more money than any offers he could expect in Australia next year.

I would have thought the current Waratahs contract would be the minimum Super Rugby contract and can't imagine there'd have been anything more on the table if he'd stayed.

I'm not moving goal posts, I'm simply stating facts. It's a simple fact that he hasn't got a super rugby contract in Australia next year but he has in NZ. Had one of the super sides wanted him, it would be a fair assumption that they would have offered him a reasonable contract. For whatever reason he didn't get a contract in Australia for 2016 - so he then decided to attempt to play for Fiji in RWC 2015. Once he took that step his value in the Australian market plummeted and so his options become Europe, Japan or as it seems NZ.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Maybe the guy wants to play for the Crusaders and was not keen on any other aus team. I mean when you look for a new role you look at your options and hopefully nail the one you most interested in. Volavola perhaps had no iterated in playing for the reds or the force.

Well I can understand a player not wanting to play under Graham or Foley, but that's another huge problem for Australian rugby. And it may well have some bearing on player movements.

Reactions: gel
T

Train Without a Station

I'm not moving goal posts, I'm simply stating facts. It's a simple fact that he hasn't got a super rugby contract in Australia next year but he has in NZ. Had one of the super sides wanted him, it would be a fair assumption that they would have offered him a reasonable contract. For whatever reason he didn't get a contract in Australia for 2016 - so he then decided to attempt to play for Fiji in RWC 2015. Once he took that step his value in the Australian market plummeted and so his options become Europe, Japan or as it seems NZ.

He would not be a starting player so why would he be offered a reasonable contract when he's at best going to crack a bench spot based on their current squads?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He would not be a starting player so why would he be offered a reasonable contract when he's at best going to crack a bench spot based on their current squads?

From what I have seen of the talent around, he would only have been an injury or two away from a Tahs starting XV.

He is a pretty talented footballer, very good stepper, and he can kick a long goal.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How many players in a squad of 32 aren't an injury or two away from a starting spot?

I did not make the point very well, perhaps. Volavola could cover two of the most crucial positions on the field, 10 and 15, and he kicks goals. Not many of those in the Tahs squad, dunno about the others.

Quite a few members of the average Soup squad could be fairly easily replaced from NRC ranks.

Good 10s and 15s are a bit like hen's teeth for the Tahs.

T

Train Without a Station

Really? Because they have 2 test capped 10s and 4 players who have played test rugby at 15? And they also had Jono Lance.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I'm not sure what your point is. I assume that you are agreeing with me that it would seem that no Australian super side wanted him - evidence of which is that it would seem that he wasn't offered a reasonable contract.

I realise that you might find it difficult to agree with me. (or to admit it anyway);)

T

Train Without a Station

I agree, but he'd still be at best, equal to a back up option like McIntyre. So really how could they offer him a decent contract.

My point was more along the lines that players 16-32 in the squad (and he's a fringe bench player) aren't going to be offered much, because they can't afford to fill cap space on them.

The Force were probably the only real option, but at the time he signed, Holmes wasn't gone so they weren't an option.

Even then he'd be fighting with Eberson (I don't rate him either, but much more experienced), Lance and DHP. At the Rebels it would have been Debreczeni, Hegarty and Harris. At the Brumbies Lilo, To'omua and Coleman. At the Reds there may have been a chance. But still if you're the Reds would you contract Volavola with 8 caps when you already have experienced options?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ben VolvoVolvo kicked Sydney University out of the Shute Shield Grand Final Last Year. 1st GF that they haven't been in for 10 years.

The bloke who penned "Hell hath no fury like that of a woman scorned." clearly underestimated the reach and vindictiveness of Sydney University Rugby Club. :)

Seriously, I would have thought that having an international Cap, and actual playing time in Super Rugby would significantly increase his marketability in Japan, and Europe. In two years with the Tahs, Wikipedia says he has only 8 caps for the Tahs, with no starts this year. More time on the bench than Chris Whittaker. If he stayed here, it is highly likely that he would never get the Wallaby Cap needed to increase any Euro or Japan contract price.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sydney University Football Club, HJ. Word hasn't reached the Camperdown crew association football and rugby went their separate ways in the early 1860s. And no one's had the heart to tell them since.....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Force were probably the only real option, but at the time he signed, Holmes wasn't gone so they weren't an option.

The Force signed Jono Lance right around the same time as Volavola announced he was going to the Crusaders.

Lance strikes me as a far more Michael Foley-esque option at 10, 15 or 12 than Volavola.

Volavola obviously played quite a few games in 2013 for the Tahs but has barely been seen since.

I'd say this season he'd be the fourth choice 10 and probably the third or fourth choice fullback. It's fairly clear from the people who have played above him that he's one of the last couple of backs in the squad.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Think that story was poo pood in the same article. The Rugby Heaven article says he was thinking of renegging but then had a quick chat to Gits and VOILA!! He's off again.

Just a bit of nerves.....although he's done it before (see Force Fans)