• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
I wonder how many fringe super players we are losing? Looking at the reds 2nd row stocks currently and the lack of players to fill the spots, I'd be interested to see the guys playing premier/shute shield etc from around Australia leaving.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well if Kepu doesn't play next year, and with PAE going overseas. We're left with 33 y/o Holmes. It would be in our best interests to get Slipper or Sio at THP. I still think Paddy Ryan will come good eventually.

T

Train Without a Station

Even if Kepu wasn't eligible we'd still have Holmes and Weeks next year that are eligible and have been in better super rugby scrummaging form than Alexander.

Then consider that 2 young tight heads in talaikai and faagese are coming along well at the reds with talaikai putting together a few good super rugby games and faagese finishing the NRC very strongly and still being very young.

They aren't growing on trees but it's a step up from when Alexander was our number 1 option and have all shown more than anae did.

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
Even if Kepu wasn't eligible we'd still have Holmes and Weeks next year that are eligible and have been in better super rugby scrummaging form than Alexander.

Then consider that 2 young tight heads in talaikai and faagese are coming along well at the reds with talaikai putting together a few good super rugby games and faagese finishing the NRC very strongly and still being very young.

They aren't growing on trees but it's a step up from when Alexander was our number 1 option and have all shown more than anae did.

Fair points TWOS. My only thinking around those players you have mentioned there are that Holmes is not going to add more than 12-24months or rugby in a gold jersey. Weeks has never really cracked it - despite being in good form off and on for a number of years; and those two young Reds are just that - young!

I'm all for giving young guys a shot as soon as they are good enough - but I think it would come down to Weeks and Anae (if he is starting at the Brumbies) and Holmes to look after that THP spot until 2017 at least...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
anyone seen anything of Mark Chisholm play lately?

Apparently he is having a bit of a disagreement with his club over salary/contracting.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Bayonne got relegated though, so there may be issues re: D2 wages and such.

According to others, no chance of coming home, loves the South of France and has legitimate business interests there as well now. I've not gone out of my way to watch Bayonne games though, so I can't confirm form beyond what I've read and the one or two games I've seen, but it's been described as quality. Think he was Captaining for a while too.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe the ARU contributed to part of the release fee under the condition it was 4 years.

The Sydney 7's will certainly be boosted by Cooper and SBW's involvement!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Very happy with that. What does he do if we don't qualify for Rio?

A better question is what if, having never played the game, he doesn't pick it up quickly enough to justify selection? Pick him anyway for essentially PR reasons? Also how can this even be contemplated given Pulver pouring cold water on the notion of Foley (one of your best 7's players ever) or Folau doing something similar? Quade's obviously a special player when fit & firing but is he really so special that the rules have to be bent to accommodate him?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
this is clearly a way (the only one?) of keeping him in the Australian set up. it points to three things in my mind. RG was the problem at the Reds (in contract terms at least) and could well be staying put; QC (Quade Cooper) is thriving under Cheika and Larkham, and wants to stay in the Wallabies and more importantly the Wallabies coaching staff want him to stay.

T

Train Without a Station

A better question is what if, having never played the game, he doesn't pick it up quickly enough to justify selection? Pick him anyway for essentially PR reasons? Also how can this even be contemplated given Pulver pouring cold water on the notion of Foley (one of your best 7's players ever) or Folau doing something similar? Quade's obviously a special player when fit & firing but is he really so special that the rules have to be bent to accommodate him?

I'd say Quade has taken a financial hit to do this. Foley and Folau have been chasing extra income with their deals.