• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seems to me the proposition is that Quade, with zero 7's experience, should be allowed to do something that Foley, rated by your former 7's coach as the best player he ever coached, has been forbidden doing by HQ more-or-less on the grounds that he's Quade Cooper.

Seems to me also that an awful lot of eggs are being put in a basket not noted for being all that robust in recent years................

T

TOCC

Seems to me the proposition is that Quade, with zero 7's experience, should be allowed to do something that Foley, rated by your former 7's coach as the best player he ever coached, has been forbidden doing by HQ more-or-less on the grounds that he's Quade Cooper.

Seems to me also that an awful lot of eggs are being put in a basket not noted for being all that robust in recent years......

When was Foley forbidden from playing 7's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The issue is also Quade doesn't have a Super team for the next year, it's not similar to Foley where the Tahs wanted him to keep playing for them.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"While Pulver last week granted Foley its first-ever "flexible contract", which will allow the Test five-eighth to play two seasons in Japan over the next three years, the ARU won't be allowing players to double up for the Wallabies and Olympics in 2016."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/a...nard-foleys-sevens-dream-20150421-1mq58k.html

Unless of course they're going to re-negotiate his flexible contract I'd say that's as close to forbidden as it gets.

qwerty51, I think we both know Quade would get a gig with any Aus S18 outfit bar the 'tahs.

T

Train Without a Station

Foley wanted to play in Japan, play Super Rugby and play tests, be contacted and paid for all of them AND play 7s.

Cooper wants to play 7s as a priority. Completely different situation.

T

TOCC

So we're back to bending the rules for Quade 'cos he's Quade, aren't we? :) A somewhat dangerous precedent, I'd have thought.

What rule is he breaking? Where does it say he will play for the Wallabies in 2016?

The article suggests that Quade will play 7's in 2016 before linking back with a Super Rugby team in 2017.

Quite frankly you're jumping to conclusions about something which wasn't mentioned in the article, and given the overlapping seasons I don't think it would even be possible.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Seems to me also that an awful lot of eggs are being put in a basket not noted for being all that robust in recent years......

When did O'Connor say that about Foley?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Here - From March 12 2015 in The Daily Telegraph:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rio-sevens-glory/story-fnii0ksb-1227260404687
LEGEND Michael O’Connor believes Australia’s Sevens team can build their Olympic campaign around Bernard Foley.
The man who plucked Foley from Sydney University colts into the national Sevens team in 2010 told us: “He is the best Sevens player I coached.
“His ability to set up play and look for space, even that try he scored (against Queensland), it was very similar to tries he scored in sevens. Throw the long pass, get on a good support line and work hard.
You’d build your side around him, but he is going to need a couple of tournaments in that year to put him back into Sevens shape.”
Despite the news that Foley will return for the Waratahs, the mail remains strong that he will still be going to next year’s Olympic Games in Rio.

T

TOCC

If Foley wanted to play 7's then he would have had to forgo his Japanese stint and the Waratahs/Wallabies 2016 season.. He had the opportunity to do this and didn't... He wasn't forbidden from playing 7's as someone has suggested.

Quade isn't going to Japan and isn't playing Super Rugby or for the Wallabies in 2016..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It was an article or interview but O'Connor definitely said Foley was the best 7s player he coached.

But then he never coached our Quade, did he? He has the footballing instincts to do just about anything.

Apart from his defensive errrrr lapses, the only thing standing in the way of a stellar Sevens season is his fitness.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
But then he never coached our Quade, did he? He has the footballing instincts to do just about anything.

Apart from his defensive errrrr lapses, the only thing standing in the way of a stellar Sevens season is his fitness.
Putting this as politely as possible - looking at the results of the team's that O'Connor led, he may not have coached too many great 7s players.....

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Personally ,I think this is great news. I'm not a great QC (Quade Cooper) fan or anything, but keeping players in SH is always good news to me. WOB, I suspect that QC (Quade Cooper) will concentrate on 7s and no Wallabies next year,(wouldn't ne surprised to see a boxing match in there) and although I know the old story if you sign a contract blah blah etc, but these players are cherry picked by these clubs, and if their form goes to pack they can usually be cut, so they earn no rights to much in the way of loyalty to me. If QC (Quade Cooper) is actually paying 150 grand to get out of contract he should perhaps be applauded for having the belief to risk it (and maybe a bit of advise not to sign so quickly next time). I wouldn't mind betting someone is quietly helping him out with some of the money, but again I say bloody good, and would be happy if it happened more often.