• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

Train Without a Station

Rugby does have a solid foothold compared to league. Definitely stronger here. The Melbourne comp is stronger, and then has country divisions which league appears to lack.

In addition there is a strong schools comp as well due to rugby having stronger history in Melbourne. Still a long way to go but provide the product is decent, the rising should get reasonable support and definitely has room to grow.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the test get a strong crowd next week either. Despite Melbourne terrace's moaning, etihad is still an adequate location to watch rectangle sports. I went to the AFL game there last night and amazingly I was able to clearly see the centre square from the second tier in the grandstand, so we should manage alright for rugby.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I can't comment on Vic, maybe train can assist.
Rebels V Storm - The storm had a big head start, few salary cap breaches, and premier ships - is rugby bridging the gap.
NRC is running after the NRL & AFL - always read that VIC proclaim to be the sporting capital of Aust lets hope they grab it.
the short answer is no, not at the moment. bigger crowds at storm games, better coverage in newspapers, but no real growth in grass roots numbers playing RL. the Dewar Shield rugby comp and playing numbers in the junior ranks is expanding, but losing a lot between 16 and 20 years old, the local Colts comp is struggling apart from a couple of clubs. the VRU's big focus is on reataining kids after school and expanding womens and sevens rugby.
i hope the NRC draws good crowds just as the ARC did down here.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
the short answer is no, not at the moment. bigger crowds at storm games, better coverage in newspapers, but no real growth in grass roots numbers playing RL. the Dewar Shield rugby comp and playing numbers in the junior ranks is expanding, but losing a lot between 16 and 20 years old, the local Colts comp is struggling apart from a couple of clubs. the VRU's big focus is on reataining kids after school and expanding womens and sevens rugby.
i hope the NRC draws good crowds just as the ARC did down here.

So an U20 NRC team would be HUGE for this development, and the school leavers with a real stepping stone and path. And possibly not a huge cost to implement and run with grade.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
F*ck Mourad Boujellal. How are the ARU supposed to compete against a club being bankrolled by some billionaire

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
So an U20 NRC team would be HUGE for this development, and the school leavers with a real stepping stone and path. And possibly not a huge cost to implement and run with grade.

yeah i think an U19 or U20 NRC would be a good idea. but whether the Super clubs and the ARU think so is another thing.

the development path would then run gold Cup 15's, 17's then NRC U19 the U20's comp between the states as per this year.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
F*ck Mourad Boujellal. How are the ARU supposed to compete against a club being bankrolled by some billionaire

Do what the Irish do, offer really good tax deals to keep them in OZ. Not sure it would fly here.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Inevitably, we will need to either a) offer sabbaticals or b) upon the expansion of the super comp to a couple of Asian teams, allow our players to play for Tokyo/Hong Kong etc and still be eligible.

Bairdy, want to know how to compete with Boujellal? Get people richer than him involved in Super Rugby from Asia; enter the Hong Kong, Tokyo and Singapore teams of a Super Rugby.

All places have enormous Rugby union followings, and very deep pockets. Why not lure our boys from Europe back to our competition, playing in our timezone against our best?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It would be great to have, but the ARU is a long way off being in a position to do that financially in my opinion.

You're talking about a competition that would cost a similar amount to the proposed NRC to run (except for some efficiencies from hosting two games at the same venue in a row) but with even less pulling power to draw sponsors and broadcasting interest.

I think this sort of thing could be achievable in four or five years if the NRC takes off and starts paying for itself. In the interim, you'd hope that the cream of the crop from the under 20s get a gig to play in the NRC.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It would be great to have, but the ARU is a long way off being in a position to do that financially in my opinion.

You're talking about a competition that would cost a similar amount to the proposed NRC to run (except for some efficiencies from hosting two games at the same venue in a row) but with even less pulling power to draw sponsors and broadcasting interest.

I think this sort of thing could be achievable in four or five years if the NRC takes off and starts paying for itself. In the interim, you'd hope that the cream of the crop from the under 20s get a gig to play in the NRC.

Cost yeah, i didn't think so but I am unaware of the insurance etc involved??
Train same days in the same location.
Travel play in same location.
Pulling power for sponsors and broadcasting interest - i was looking at development, growth, and retention especially in WA & VIC. At the moment quality players are possibly leaving school - huge step up to the Force & Rebels when they are also prospecting for players in NSW / QLD / Marquee.
I'll go and watch the games any way, but I'd much rather be watching 2 games.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm with BH. Every time people say the NRL Under 20's is a massive success it really grinds my gears. It brings nothing in regarding revenue or fans, costs money and at best develops future talent, which may or may not have been developed anyway playing NSW/QLD Cup or even going into a Super Rugby system.

I'm against age based comps. No good for development anyway. Teams already have a bias towards youth in their recruitment. In my opinion they get zero benefit playing against other kids. Plenty of players have done well in colts or under 20's environments then struggled when put into senior grade comps, even at lower grade level because they struggle with the physicality of playing against men and players with a size advantage have less of an advantage against grizzled old grade veterans who don't give a fuck how big they are.

There's been plenty of airplay given to the demise of Australian cricket linked to the changing of the Shield 2nd XI to the Futures league and a limit on players over the age of 23.

Already competitions like this will bias towards young players because once men are over 21 they are likely to have full time employment in lucrative careers, and greater commitments putting a further emphasis on their need to have stable and secure employment. Something made difficult when needed to train like a full time professional for 10+ weeks of the year. I can't see too many cases of older players being chosen over a younger one of similar talent. I can see the opposite though.

If anything when the competition is developed, a 2nd XV would provide greater development. It would be primarily youth and the few old heads would enable them to toughen up, instead of growing soft running rings around other kids who are 75% the size of professional players in the same positions.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
We can't honestly be surprised if Izzy leaves for the big dollars and low tax in France, even if it's pre-RWC.

I mean, the guy left his native sport when he was arguably the biggest drawcard to play AFL in Western Sydney. If that doesn't tell you he's perhaps money motivated, nothing will.

I hope the rumours are wrong and that he'll play in 2015, but if he leaves it may be the catalyst that forces the ARU to look at its selection policies.

T

Train Without a Station

Tex, if that's the case, it will be the catalyst for the demise of Super Rugby and Australian Rugby as we know it, only for the benefit of a couple of seasons of the Wallabies short term.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Rugby does have a solid foothold compared to league. Definitely stronger here. The Melbourne comp is stronger, and then has country divisions which league appears to lack.

In addition there is a strong schools comp as well due to rugby having stronger history in Melbourne. Still a long way to go but provide the product is decent, the rising should get reasonable support and definitely has room to grow.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the test get a strong crowd next week either. Despite Melbourne terrace's moaning, etihad is still an adequate location to watch rectangle sports. I went to the AFL game there last night and amazingly I was able to clearly see the centre square from the second tier in the grandstand, so we should manage alright for rugby.

Please, you're kidding yourself, the second tier is ok if you have a bit money to spend because it's not too high or too far, but down on the first tier it is dreadful. I've been to enough Rugby, Football and League games at Etihad and been left frustrated with my seats to have a good moan about them. Behind the goals you can barely see the play on the far side in any real detail. The angle of the stands is very "shallow" meaning you need to be far back enough to see anything but too far back and you are under the second tier and can't see the ball when it's kicked high. The third tier is better than the first but it's still a long way back and not worth the ticket price.

T

Train Without a Station

The biggest issue is the pricing structure relative to the seats. For the Lions tour, the most desirable seats where the cheapest, and the least desirable the most expensive. If it's not a high demand event people don't go because there's no value in the average seats.

And just for reference, I attended the 2012 State of Origin, in the 3rd tier on the corners. We were something like 5 rows from the back, jokingly saying we wouldn't see the game if the roof was closed. Once again, I amazingly was able to see the game, make it each player and know what was going on.

I guess though, if you legitimately want to find fault in anything you can.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
why are you talking about etihad in this thread?
i really struggle to see how the ARU is going to manage the players post RWC without sabbaticals. i just don't see it happening at all. the french are happy it seems to cede power to the clubs and go the route of english football. barring more strict requirements on players being from france, i dont see a stop to the demand.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
there is too much money in france and barring a massive tv windfall for the ARU, they won't be able to compete. players can now make more in europe and japan than they can if they stay here and star for the wallabies. as noted elsewhere, folau could get $2m, genia, cooper, the same with guys like palu, higginbotham, horwill not far behind at close to a mill over there.
i think the france lifestyle play is overhyped though. outside of paris, toulouse, toulon (maybe it's still not great) biarritz, bordeaux, you really are in unattractive cities in somewhat industrial areas. these are often quite small with little industry and its very difficult for spouses to get jobs.
so don't make it all out to be paris. it ain't.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
why are you talking about etihad in this thread?
i really struggle to see how the ARU is going to manage the players post RWC without sabbaticals. i just don't see it happening at all. the french are happy it seems to cede power to the clubs and go the route of english football. barring more strict requirements on players being from france, i dont see a stop to the demand.

I agree, actually I'd go step further and say that rather than a decrease in demand we might see it increase with teams like Biarritz and Perpignan being relegated. The Top 14 is becoming more and more like the English Premiership and Championship in football.

Rather than spending big money to have a tilt at the title teams will increasingly have to recruit big to either stay in the Top 14 or get back into it.