• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
he steered the Rams to a fantastic NRC season last year. Captaining them and playing 12 when they began their resurgence at the latter half of the season. Was the comp's equal leading pointscorer

IIRC also played No 15 for the NRC Barbarians (?) in their win over a NZ lower competition side in 2015. And played pretty good.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Having a gander at the Leicester Tigers forum looks like they Nick Malouf has signed for us as a 12/13.

Now i have no idea about Aus 7's (outside of Caslick) can anyone shed some light on him?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Having a gander at the Leicester Tigers forum looks like they Nick Malouf has signed for us as a 12/13.

Now i have no idea about Aus 7's (outside of Caslick) can anyone shed some light on him?

Played flanker for most of his rugby career.

Weird signing. Not bad necessarily, but I'd imagine there's equally talented guys with better CVs who're English qualified.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Played flanker for most of his rugby career.

Weird signing. Not bad necessarily, but I'd imagine there's equally talented guys with better CVs who're English qualified.

EQP generally adds onto costs, also there are 11 other clubs that will be looking for them and there are more clubs that can probably be able to offer them a bigger wage or more game time (sometimes both) than us.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
EQP generally adds onto costs, also there are 11 other clubs that will be looking for them and there are more clubs that can probably be able to offer them a bigger wage or more game time (sometimes both) than us.

Yes, but this is a bloke who isn't even an entrenched starter for the Australian 7s.

He'd be around English Championship level at the current time. I doubt Aussie Super Rugby sides are even looking hard at him for EPS spots.

This is not shitting on the bloke, it's just where he is at NOW.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Yes, but this is a bloke who isn't even an entrenched starter for the Australian 7s.

He'd be around English Championship level at the current time. I doubt Aussie Super Rugby sides are even looking hard at him for EPS spots.

This is not shitting on the bloke, it's just where he is at NOW.

If a player is UK qualified, there are a heap of opportunities in the UK. If not, you have to qualify as a marquee foreign player ( I think - however will stand corrected) . Its the opposite here.
As an example, Lewis Carmichael went to the Force as a young up & comer. No issues with residency. I know a similar ranking Aussie player was approached to back fill Carmichael's position at a club in Scotland and was rejected by the Scottish RU due to such a rule.
My guess is that Malouf somehow is deemed a local player.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Marquee rules basics only apply to English Premiership Clubs, are weird, and there seem to be so many exceptions that they effectively nullified.

Far more importantly in this case, is what you need to work. AFAIK, if you have: a British or EU or Kolpak Passport, or even a non-tourist/student Visa independent of a Rugby Career (say for example, his partner has accepted a position in the UK, and has a 3 year temporary Visa, he would be entitled to work as the Spouses, including as a Pro sporting player), the RFU and/or British Immigration can do nothing if a club wants to recruit you.

SRU is a little different as they and the two provinces are effectively the same bodies from a business POV, and so are always able to veto recruitment.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Marquee rules basics only apply to English Premiership Clubs, are weird, and there seem to be so many exceptions that they effectively nullified.

Far more importantly in this case, is what you need to work. AFAIK, if you have: a British or EU or Kolpak Passport, or even a non-tourist/student Visa independent of a Rugby Career (say for example, his partner has accepted a position in the UK, and has a 3 year temporary Visa, he would be entitled to work as the Spouses, including as a Pro sporting player), the RFU and/or British Immigration can do nothing if a club wants to recruit you.

SRU is a little different as they and the two provinces are effectively the same bodies from a business POV, and so are always able to veto recruitment.

Where does the England elligible fit into this?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Where does the England elligible fit into this?
RFU funding to the clubs (non-broadcast/competition) is contingent on using on an average percentage of English Eligible players in their Premiership match day squads, with allowances being made for Internationals and/or long term injuries.

EQPs are important, and much like in football, it does drive the players cost up a little, but the academies are overwhelmingly strong enough, and the requirements low enough, that it's a bonus to most teams if "foreign" players are qualified, rather than an important factor in that decision.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well, good luck to the kid.

Understandable with QC (Quade Cooper) in front of him (irrespective of performances).

Every player wants to start and he has had to go O/S to do so.

Probably more than double the money Mc was on at the Reds

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
See Randwick's Will Munro is off to France to join the other 140 or so players OS. He played for the Australian Barbarians this year and previously was with the Eagles & Rams NRC squads.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sheer scale.

Excluding the not Semi-pro leagues and Clubs (nudge nudge wink wink) across France, Italy and individual clubs in each other country, there's about 2650 opportunities across the top two divisions in France and England plus the Pro12, given a conservative estimate of 40 players per side before purely Training and Academy Contracts.

While it's not exactly a relevant ratio, with a combined population of a touch under 200 million, that amounts to 13.3 pro Rugby opportunities per million.

As compared to Australia, where officially 165 contracts are given out (before the hangers on), amounting to a measly 7.3 per million.

Subtracting one from the other for a crazy irrelevant figure and multiplying through gives about 1200 foreign opportunities in those leagues alone.

I never actually realised that myself until I did the maths. Fuck me that is a big gap. And it is without considering the opportunities in Japan.

T

TOCC

bloody hell, at 22 he should just be starting to find his place, same age as Duncan Paia'aua who has only started to shine in 2017