• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just wondering if some of our more informed posters here could give a quick update on how Aussie players are fairing in the NH?
Particularly I'm curious about James Horwill and Matt To'omua, I miss their playing a lot.

I haven't watched a lot of Horwill's games but he seems to be going pretty well. I'd say he's more solid than star though.

To'omua hasn't returned since doing his knee last October.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Rebels picked a Scotsman too.

It just so happened that the Scotsman was playing in the Dewar Shield.

Now that we're down five lock options, (Day, Jeffries, Toolis, Timani and Douglas) we're playing the young local off the bench.

Are you guys down 5 locks?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Down four. But I don't see the difference between bringing in a Scottish fellow in an emergency versus signing a capped Welsh international (Dom Day). I imagine we will start using local comp players if another lock goes down but hopefully some of the injured ones will be back before then.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Down four. But I don't see the difference between bringing in a Scottish fellow in an emergency versus signing a capped Welsh international (Dom Day). I imagine we will start using local comp players if another lock goes down but hopefully some of the injured ones will be back before then.
It wasn't a criticism, just some more commentary about how many injuries it's taken to for us to consider using young talent as an alternative to importing players.

Carmichael was a good move IMO. He'll basically have cost you flights and accommodation, and it would have been really hard to bring over an East Coaster on a short term deal, between Perth itself, low current lock depth in general, and even if they proved that they were up to this level, there's no guarantee of a new contract, particularly given the current uncertainties.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
On reflection my reply looked more defensive than intended. More an explanation for Macca. Sometimes when the barrel is thin you have to take what you can get that still keeps you competitive. I'd love to know who the Tahs would go to if they were down 4 locks.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Midi Olympic have published salary details

@gavinmortimer7: Top overseas earners in the Top 14, says M.O, are:
Carter:€1.5m a season
Giteau: 700,000K
Vermeulen & Halfpenny: 600k
Slade: 500k
Vito: 300k

@gavinmortimer7: Overseas players in the T14 on €500,000 a season:
Colin Slade
Ma'a Nonu
Census Johnston
Sergio Parisse
Bismarck Du Plessis
Conrad Smith

@gavinmortimer7: Struggling to make ends meet on €400,000
Nemani Nadolo
Rory Kockott
Adam A-Cooper
Pat Albacete
Will Genia
Davit Zirakashvili
Luke McAlister

@gavinmortimer7: Living on the breadline at €300,000
Bryan Habana
Gio Aplon
Brock James
Mam Gorgodze
Juan Imhoff
Steffon Armitage
Leone Nakarawa
Rory Grice

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Damn, I knew the Frenchies loved the props, but €500k a season at 35 (36 tomorrow) is an excellent contract for Census Johnston.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: mst

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Why does Vito rate a mention in the 'top earners' category when he's only on the breadline at 300k?

Footnote: I don't have any problems with blokes getting paid this much to play footy. A lot of them have a finite high earnings period and should take it while they can. I only wish we could compete with it.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The attraction of players playing in France and to a lesser extent Ireland is the tax benefits associated with 'entertainers'. Over here you'd be looking at paying 45% personal income tax where as in france (and don't quote me on this) it is around 20%. In simple terms a $500k contract in Australia could see an athlete receive $275k, where as in France it would be worth $400k. Obviously it's not as simple as that. In Ireland for example they have benefits for athletes, one which involves long service tax pay back etc.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought entertainers was even less. about 10%. In ireland, I think you have to play and retire all in Ireland. Then you get tax back as a super/retirement pension style contribution. No little french and japanese stints allowed

T

TOCC

Yep France is closer to 10% and the tax rate still exists..

Irelands tax break is aimed at Ireland tax residents, essentially they could claim a rebate on 10years of their earnings preceeding retirement, it changed a few years ago which now means players can claim 10 years of earnings from their previous 15 years, allowing players to break service if playing elsewhere in the EU. Hence why Johnny Sexton went to France for a couple of years, he could do so without impacting his tax concessions

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Without having read all the detail on the French "entertainers" tax which also applies to sportspeople, this generally relates to a short term thing.

I.e. if you are a musician and you do a concert tour in France and earn $1m, you'll pay 10% tax on it. The same applies for a sportsperson if they are there for a short period of time. This is because this is the only tax France will get out of it.

If you're there for greater than 183 days in a year, you're more likely to be considered a tax resident and taxed at ordinary rates.

If an Australian sportsperson tried to limit their time in France so they would only be taxed at 10% there as an entertainer, they would still be considered an Australian tax resident and be taxed on their worldwide income (with a credit for the tax paid in France).

To my understanding, someone like Matt Giteau who clearly resides in France would be taxed like any French resident and wouldn't receive a huge benefit in terms of taxation purely because he is a sportsperson.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
To my understanding, someone like Matt Giteau who clearly resides in France would be taxed like any French resident and wouldn't receive a huge benefit in terms of taxation purely because he is a sportsperson.

Actually IIRC the rules in France are odd with most players getting the 8% rate for entertainers as its an exemption in the French legislation and there are provisions to work around the time limits.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
so yeh. I remember a few years ago a player left here to get the same salary in france. (maybe mowen as he was an important wallaby at the time?) But it was the fact that even on the same salary, you take home so much more, it's the same as a huge pay rise anyway!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
so yeh. I remember a few years ago a player left here to get the same salary in france. (maybe mowen as he was an important wallaby at the time?) But it was the fact that even on the same salary, you take home so much more, it's the same as a huge pay rise anyway!
The rules changed substantially in 2013 from my reading.

You are advantaged in not having to declare certain components of the income under their special expatriate tax rules.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk