• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

TOCC

Surely sounds like the ARU chipped in:

THE Brumbies have got better news about their captain Sam Carter though, with the club and the ARU to announce they’ve re-signed the big lock for two more seasons.

After being left out of the Wallabies squad for most of last year, Carter was contemplating a move overseas after being pursued by French and English clubs.

But being appointed co-captain of the Brumbies, and showing some good form early this year, the ARU moved to keep Carter at home. You can bet Stephen Larkham’s endorsement carried plenty of weight for Michael Cheika, who is central in all negotiations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fardy is a big loss to Australian rugby.

He is obviously of the opinion he is on the outer come Wallaby time, getting a few games here or there but not a walk up starter, as he once was.

Looked around and took the money. No-one van criticise him for that in the current Wallaby environment.

More of these guys will go prior to RWC

Reactions: mst

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fardy will also be 33 by the time he goes overseas so if he wants the chance for a big pay day it's probably now or never.

You'd be bold to predict that he would be a matchday 23 player for the Wallabies after 3 more seasons when the 2019 RWC rolls around.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^
He'll be lucky to be in the matchday 23 this year (but should be IMHO)

The bloke who should be shunted is Moore. Overall he did not play well last year for the Wallabies and his 2 games this year for the Reds have been woeful. Personally I would not have him in the Reds match day 23 based on performance to date, particularly when Ready is available and actually has [ride and passion stitched into his Reds jersey

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sanchez is apparently coming back:

Should also be noted that Gavin Mortimer said Genia was coming back anyway.

Floggn was right

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
article saying Scott Gale (former Reds & current Uni) taking a contract in a lower tier Japanese club is signs of shrinking opportuntiies with the cutting of rebels or force. Pretty sure this guy didn't get renewed with 5 teams..

Riviera274

Peter Burge (5)
The writing is on the wall for the Wallabies unless world rugby rules are changed.

After 2015 RWC there were almost 21/2 wallaby teams playing in Europe or Japan froma playing base in Australia smaller than Ireland and not much larger than Wales. Effectively this makes it almost impossible to develop a squad.

Compare this with England which has 1.6 million union players to Australia's 70,000. There are precisely TWO England internationals playing offshore. Eddie Jones can train his squad at a moments notice....Australia can't when most of the best players, plus the best developing players, plus juniors have been recruited offshore. That's why England now beat Australia regularly, as well as Ireland....and therefore the crowds drop to watch AFL and NRL... so the revenue drops...the number of super sides is reduced..and the vicious circle continues.

Unless there is a change in currency values or a change in transfer rules between countries, Australia, followed by South Africa will cease to be a force in world rugby and given the gathering concerns about impact injuries may give up union altogether

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
^^^^
That might be but there are only so many bickies in the barrel

Might be why the Force are playing a new signing - the 21 year old Scottish Lock. Think he must have been paid for by his Scottish Club. Not a good look in the current circumstances IMO.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just wondering if some of our more informed posters here could give a quick update on how Aussie players are fairing in the NH?
Particularly I'm curious about James Horwill and Matt To'omua, I miss their playing a lot.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And Elise has spent a great part of the time back in Aus playing cricket and getting over her own injuries. Perhaps not exactly the experience they were hoping for in the move to the North.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Might be why the Force are playing a new signing - the 21 year old Scottish Lock. Think he must have been paid for by his Scottish Club. Not a good look in the current circumstances IMO.

They need a player for part of the season with no real prospect of a contract next season even if they remain in the competition.

How much over the odds would they have to pay to get a decent premier rugby lock to resign from their day job and relocate across the country for what is probably a 12 week contract?

What exactly should they have done?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
They need a player for part of the season with no real prospect of a contract next season even if they remain in the competition.

How much over the odds would they have to pay to get a decent premier rugby lock to resign from their day job and relocate across the country for what is probably a 12 week contract?

What exactly should they have done?

IMO - follow the lead of the Rebels - look local - the Scotsman is not a premier lock either as yet ;)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The Rebels picked a Scotsman too.

It just so happened that the Scotsman was playing in the Dewar Shield.

Now that we're down five lock options, (Day, Jeffries, Toolis, Timani and Douglas) we're playing the young local off the bench.

Are you guys down 5 locks?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Just wondering if some of our more informed posters here could give a quick update on how Aussie players are fairing in the NH?
Particularly I'm curious about James Horwill and Matt To'omua, I miss their playing a lot.

Not sure, but given the number of people calling for Kurtley Beale to walk straight back into the Wallabies, he must be playing prettty bloody good