• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Just because a business is worth a lot doesn't mean it's viable. I hate the specious argument that because a person has money they automatically know more than others. Fucking nonsense Donald J Trump reasoning. Its common knowledge the clubs lose a shitload and the owners cover the costs because they like rugby.

Its just a really expensive hobby.
I don’t know if it works the same in European Rugby, but my understanding NFL owners use their losses as a tax write off on their successful businesses

B

Bobby Sands

I don’t know if it works the same in European Rugby, but my understanding NFL owners use their losses as a tax write off on their successful businesses

Correct.

Tax strategies are an interesting beast ;), which most will never understand.

B

Bobby Sands

Just because a business is worth a lot doesn't mean it's viable.

Unpack this one for us would you Derpus?

Even by your standards its a cracker.

If a business is "worth a lot", assuming it is necessarily liquid, then it is solvent.

A solvent business is very viable to short term and long term change.

A good example is Qantas which "lost" 2.8Billion in a financial year, and then did not pay tax the next year.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/qantas-28-billion-loss-explained-20140828-109h8q.html

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surely RA will throw the cash at coleman - so many other guys on RA topups are going to be leaving/not getting topped up. Poey, quade, hunt, phipps, kepu, arnold.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Surely RA will throw the cash at coleman - so many other guys on RA topups are going to be leaving/not getting topped up. Poey, quade, hunt, phipps, kepu, arnold.
In 2020, RA's problem will be finding 25 odd players worth giving a top-up to. We will be overpaying some ordinary players

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just because a business is worth a lot doesn't mean it's viable. I hate the specious argument that because a person has money they automatically know more than others. Fucking nonsense Donald J Trump reasoning. Its common knowledge the clubs lose a shitload and the owners cover the costs because they like rugby.

Its just a really expensive hobby.

In the 80s I worked for a company who sponsored an AFL side, the CEO was once asked how he justified the expense, he stated it helped if you were a fan

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I guess with Luke Jones coming back and the likes of To'omua, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) etc, its not all one way traffic heading north.
As long as they only go for a few years, make some coin and then get the hunger for intl rugby again and come back to Aus still in their prime it may not be as bad as it looks.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s inevitable that they will go with that coin on offer and RA unable to match it. In the long run it’s not such a bad thing as we will have fresh faces coming into Super Rugby at the beginning of each RWC cycle. As the game becomes more global we really need to open up test eligibility while we rebuild our domestic product and player pool.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tyrel Lomax starting for the Highlanders. Heartbreaking to see him lost to Aussie rugby, I was so keen to see him become a regular Brumby and potential Wallaby.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jack Whetton, who is still elligible for the Wallabies and played for the Brumbies in 2014, signed for the Highlanders this year. He is not in their matchday 23 for the opener.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Jack Whetton, who is still elligible for the Wallabies and played for the Brumbies in 2014, signed for the Highlanders this year. He is not in their matchday 23 for the opener.

Not sure that quite qualifies as Aussie exodus, he's eligible through a grandfather and his only time playing in Australia was that stint at the Brumbies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
England are gobbling them up.

Looks like Brodie Retallick might be the next up for sale.

Oops. I meant to Sale.

Or not:

IMG_0845.JPG.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Lol WOB, I am afraid the NZ exodus is really an exodus, and perhaps Aussies at this stage a trickle. Just as concerning, and in no way playing down the harm it doing.