1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by swingpass, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Dctarget Ken Catchpole (46)

Three Wallabies flyhalves gone. Who's gonna step up. Please don't be Matt Toomua.
    Derpus likes this.
  2. Derpus Paul McLean (56)

Also RA should also be fairly comfortably in the black without any players on their books.
    ShtinaTina and Tex like this.
  3. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

three starting 10s. Shees.

Reds - Hegarty / Stewart / Gordon / McGahan (not my choice)
    Tahs - Harrison / Mason / Donaldson
    Brumbies - Hansen / Pasitoa / Lolesio / Kuenzle / Wright
    Rebels - Toomua / Hodge

Others - Andrew Deegan (Force), Jack McGregor (Force), Taylor Adams (Eastwood), Tane Edmed (Randwick), Angus Sinclair (Northern Suburbs), Hamish Angus (Warringah), Cooper Whiteside (Wests), Isaac Henry (Wests), Rohan Saifoloi (Brothers), Mitch Third (Bond), Dion Taumata (Bond), Jake Strachan (Souths), James Dalgeish (UQ).

Obviously that last back is just a list of names, but there is some real talent there. The two Force lads and Adams are perhaps the most ready but would like the likes of Strachan and Dalgeish given a shot. Also hear good things about Edmed.
    dru, Strewthcobber and RebelYell like this.
  4. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

Full list from Pandaram
    Foley, Cooper, Lealiifano, Genia, Kerevi, Pocock (Japan)
    Phipps, Coleman, Kepu, Rona (England)
    Arnold, Naivalu, Timu, Higginbotham, Paia'aua (France)
    Carter (Ireland)

Yet to commit
    Beale, Koribete, Hunt, AAC
  5. Derpus Paul McLean (56)

Glad Tahs have Harrison lined up.

Might be a bit of an ask to pick up starting 10 from scratch next season though.
  6. RoffsChoice Peter Johnson (47)

From what I've been hearing, Reg, the Brumbies coaches have a ton of faith in Kuenzle, with hopes that Pasitoa will be the replacement. Simone is considered the injury cover if both go down.
  7. RebelYell Jim Clark (26)

Tayler Adams is good to go. I rate him highly.

Somebody needs to bring Jack Deb home. Mike Harris? Zack Holmes?
  8. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

It will be interesting to see whether a new Wallaby coach next year selects Foley or Cooper or just opts for local players.

There is a substantially greater than zero chance that someone might make both their Super Rugby and Wallaby debut next year in the 10 jersey.
    Ignoto, RugbyReg and Derpus like this.
  9. thierry dusautoir Nicholas Shehadie (39)

It’s an outrage that no one has picked up Zack Holmes to come home.

Also I have heard it through the grapevine the u20 winger Sione Tui is off overseas after the JWC…Not really getting a look in at the Rebels apparently.
  10. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

Does he want to come home/can we afford him anymore?
  11. Show-n-go Fred Wood (13)

surely opt for local players, these guys need runs on the board from next year so they are seasoned come the next worlc cup. Unfortunately come wallaby time i imagine this means putting an experienced IC besides them, which would mean Toomua
  12. Derpus Paul McLean (56)

Probably would do with English (i think?) and MK gone next season, though.
  13. Strewthcobber Paul McLean (56)

Is there a definitive list of everyone who is leaving/rumoured to be gone for next year?
  14. RugbyReg Stirling Mortlock (74)

Impressive perseverance and resilience from this, what, 19 year old? Really prepared to do the hard yards and bide his time.
    Silverado, Tex, Tomikin and 3 others like this.
  15. Ignoto Alan Cameron (40)

I'd love to know what the other side of the fence is saying about the ever growing influx of foreign players. With more and more SH heading to the North, surely that's having an impact on their ability to develop players? Where are those players that were previously going to have a spot ending up?

What about Debreczeni? I know he didn't excel during his time at the Rebels, but has he developed whilst playing for the Chiefs?
  16. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Not really sure why Sione Tui could expect a look in at the Rebels next year. There are better players ahead of him including his current under 20s teammate Semisi Tupou.
    RugbyReg likes this.
  17. Derpus Paul McLean (56)

No, he's just playing for a better coached team.
  18. VassMan Herbert Moran (7)

Bring Deb and Holmes back! Also Deegan and McGregor playing well. It's a dilemma for Force supporters, want players to get Soup time for a go at higher honours but also want to keep them at the Force.
    RugbyReg likes this.
  19. TheNorth Peter Burge (5)

Perhaps? But there is a few things here which aren’t considered in your sarcastic statement;

Anyone who has spent time coaching at grassroots across the states with tell you that Vic Rugby has got it wrong. Vic Players aren’t raised like the players you know in Brisbane, where it is accepted as a privilege that you grind your way from colts to Premier. The Rebels organisation & Vic Rugby do nothing to help the competition nor the clubs foster this type of culture. From schoolboy>seniors>rebels - if your outside of the match day 23 it is considered better for your development if you pack your bags and go elsewhere.

So if a 19 year old kid perceives that he is not going to get a look in and it seems like his options are to move to Brisbane/Sydney to ‘develop’. Could you blame him for deciding it would be more worthwhile to go get paid and experience another country? Especially if you’re being pushed to leave home for your development anyway.

I know this isn’t the Vic Rugby thread and if this was a 19 year old from QLD I would probably agree with you, but I think you probably need some context on the state of the game in VIC before you make off handed comments.
    Show-n-go likes this.
  20. RoffsChoice Peter Johnson (47)

I'm honestly amazed we haven't seen more loan deals since the Force incident. The Lions made use of them very effectively during 2013:
    Source: https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/taute-to-move-to-wp-on-loan-1401021#.UHbALfCJeWg
    Source: https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Sharks-drop-Steyn-Du-Plessis-20130418
    Source: https://rugby365.com/tournaments/super-rugby/news-super-rugby/another-lion-on-loan-to-sharks
    Source: https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Lions-to-confirm-mass-exodus-20121003
    Source: https://www.supersport.com/rugby/sa-rugby/news/121011/Callie_heads_to_the_Bulls

Most of their loan players, particularly Jantjies, Mapoe, and Coetzee, have played massive roles in them making three successive finals.
    RebelYell likes this.