• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

B

Bobby Sands

Jake McIntyre has signed for French giants Clermont next season. There was a little talk 6months ago of his potential return to Aus but I guess this rules it out

Never saw much in young Jakey, but best of luck to the Northern NSWelshman.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Robson has the scoop on Kerevi's asking price
A $400,000 per season gap between what Samu Kerevi wanted and what the Wallabies and Reds were prepared to pay saw Japan's Top League snap up the Queensland captain on a three-year deal, the Herald can reveal.

Rugby Australia valued the Reds No.12 at around $800,000 per year after the Wallabies' spring tour last November, a figure well short of the $1.2 million mark Kerevi and his manager believed he was worth for a four-year deal, sources told the Herald.

In March this year, after the 26-year-old – by now the Reds captain – had taken Super Rugby by storm, RA and the Queensland Rugby Union upped that offer to $850,000 scaling up to $1 million in the fourth year.

But it was too late, as Kerevi had already agreed to terms with Suntory Sungoliath, the same club that had been home to feted Wallabies George Smith and Matt Giteau. The deal was worth more than Kerevi's original asking price.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ving-australia-for-japan-20190613-p51xi9.html

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
$800k a year sounds high considering his Wallaby form last year.

Obviously he's been better now but I would have thought $1M would be about right. He really needs to prove himself on the test stage. He may well do it this year, but it's just an unfortunate lag in negotiations.

The only way to resolve it I would image is for the the Aussie Rugby Foundation (or whatever) to come to the party as happened with Izzy and Poey, but that were individual 'deals'.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's disappointing because I think the initial offer made to Kerevi was very good in terms of where his international career is to date.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I bet everyone that the next 3 years we continually hear uneducated people on the topic bemoan that RA didn’t do all they can to keep him, that he left because he despised the direction Rugby was going in this country and that if he was a Waratah he’d be offered more, etc.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I bet everyone that the next 3 years we continually hear uneducated people on the topic bemoan that RA didn’t do all they can to keep him, that he left because he despised the direction Rugby was going in this country and that if he was a Waratah he’d be offered more, etc.

I'm sure it'll be related to RA's handling of the IF saga also

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You do realize he intended to sign with Suntory pre IF saga

He's suggesting what people will argue. I think he's right.

Based on past events, people clearly forget timelines of when things happened and suggest one issue led to another when they clearly didn't.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
He's suggesting what people will argue. I think he's right.

Based on past events, people clearly forget timelines of when things happened and suggest one issue led to another when they clearly didn't.
Haha that he is. Sorry, I’m an idiot.

Apologies

Just been a hypocrite and showing a prime example of how people would react without reading the information provided first :p

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
SO just thinking about the potential Skelton situation and what has happened with To'omua and White. Can Samu Kerivi sign an intent to return to the Reds in 2023 and remain eligible for the Wallabies?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
SO just thinking about the potential Skelton situation and what has happened with To'omua and White. Can Samu Kerivi sign an intent to return to the Reds in 2023 and remain eligible for the Wallabies?

I think RA said that Skelton's signing (which is nothing more than rumours at the moment) for 2021 is too distant and wouldn't be eligible. To'omua and White are fine because they signed for the following super season. So, Kerevi won't be able to play for another two years.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well - I was also planning on blaming Cheika & the resource industry. But otherwise I think you coverred it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I also think the Bilberburg and Trilateral Commission had a role in this too. Must have. MUST HAVE!

Anyway, I don't think we can be too critical of RA in this instance. I think they had a reasonable offer for Samu on the table, given that he hasn't been quite at the Horan or Nonu level at 12 in previous years that his perception of value would suggest.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Lots of noise in this Kerevi thing. He claims in interviews that he wants to be close to his brothers who are playing in Japan and teach his younger brother how to be a man and shave etc - the guy is playing pro rugby in Japan so I think maybe he has learnt the skill of shaving by now. Bottom line, he was offered a lot of money to stay in Oz and more to go to Japan. He chose the more money. Fair enough, but he shouldn't pretend there was anything other than money involved, although greed might be frowned up in some circles, and as Reg has pointed out, previously he was a strong but fairly one dimensional player who hadn't really shone at test level but this year has lifted his game. The RA offer was very good, his manager has probably pushed him to take the money in Japan as it pays the manager more. Hard to see his game improving by playing in Japan so I wonder if he looks to return whether we will wonder what could have been.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
D9Yd58RUcAABiiQ.jpg:large

Alleged landing locations in Japan for a few Wallabies from Jamie Pandaram.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^
That is the Wallabies.

There is not going to be a player in sight after the WC.

On the bright side (i guess), there will be plenty of opportunities for these youngins coming through the U20s at the moment.