• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Skelton has developed into a rather good tight lock in a properly good side, the others listed above all play below his standard and are not near his level as a partner for Rodda

Phillip would not be far off the pace. Agree with the other names listed. Some like Frost we will have to wait and see what develops.

But the 2nd Row position is evolving faster than others, String beans seem to be on the outer and Bigger heavier types preferred.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Phillip would not be far off the pace. Agree with the other names listed. Some like Frost we will have to wait and see what develops.

But the 2nd Row position is evolving faster than others, String beans seem to be on the outer and Bigger heavier types preferred.

I wonder if s&c could turn string beans into bigger heavier types over a two year period.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder if s&c could turn string beans into bigger heavier types over a two year period.

It can happen

Rodda put on effective mass and now blyth is moving in that direction

Arnold did eventually

Will take longer for hockings to end up like arnold/devin toner.

probably closer to 3-4 years before they can confidently and explosively move those long limbs in a pro environment. So 2 years down and 2 more years to go and then make a judgement. Then will be able to see if they are going to be WC ready.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It can happen

Rodda put on effective mass and now blyth is moving in that direction

Arnold did eventually

Will take longer for hockings to end up like arnold/devin toner.

probably closer to 3-4 years before they can confidently and explosively move those long limbs in a pro environment. So 2 years down and 2 more years to go and then make a judgement. Then will be able to see if they are going to be WC ready.

One thing I always loved about Arnold was he has a bit of fire in the belly, he loved the hard stuff. Hopefully these young guys have that.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think we need to resign ourselves that none of the current crop of locks will develop into the physical attributes of Eben Etzebeth, like Pocock, he is a genetic freak

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think we need to resign ourselves that none of the current crop of locks will develop into the physical attributes of Eben Etzebeth, like Pocock, he is a genetic freak
Nonsense. They may never be as handsome or well apportioned but assuming the same height developing similar muscle mass only requires the appropriate diet and exercise regime. Should be achievable for a disciplined professional athlete. Probably precludes hitting the beers on a Tuesday night though.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nonsense. They may never be as handsome or well apportioned but assuming the same height developing similar muscle mass only requires the appropriate diet and exercise regime. Should be achievable for a disciplined professional athlete. Probably precludes hitting the beers on a Tuesday night though.

I'm pretty sure that genetics determine maximum muscle mass, irrespective of diet and exercise.
An individual can scale the heights of their personal potential but not all can achieve Arnold Schwarzenegger-like muscle mass.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm pretty sure that genetics determine maximum muscle mass, irrespective of diet and exercise.
An individual can scale the heights of their personal potential but not all can achieve Arnold Schwarzenegger-like muscle mass.

Of course, but Eben isn't exactly Mr Olympia is he?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Of course, but Eben isn't exactly Mr Olympia is he?

True. I was trying to say that in the normal curve of muscle mass distribution, not many men the same height as Eben will be able to match his depth of chest/core strength/arm muscle mass/etc.
Eben similarly won't become a American governor, nor marry the niece of a US president.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Newscorp reports Kurtley Beale to Racing and Matt Philip to Pau in France next year.

Ah crap. Beale, ok, fair enough he's had his time and he can still play for the Wallabies if he's up to it. Good luck to him.

Philip though would be a real shame. I'd heard rumours but that it was still not a done deal for him.

Only positive I could say is that it does give him time to bounce back for the next RWC a bit like Jones, but it just seems a real loss when all is said and done as you don't want to be losing your 25/6yr old locks :(

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ah crap. Beale, ok, fair enough he's had his time and he can still pay for Wallabies if he's up to it. Good luck to him.

Philip though would be a real shame. I'd heard rumours but that it was still not a done deal for him.

Only positve I could say is that it does give him time to bounce back for the next RWC a bit like Jones, but it just seems a real loss when all is said and done as you don't want to be loosing your 25/6yr old locks :(
Philip was a little frustrated with the lack of opportunity last year, which I completely get considering the stuttering form of a few guys that got a gig. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a change of mind if given an opportunity this year.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Philip was a little frustrated with the lack of opportunity last year, which I completely get considering the stuttering form of a few guys that got a gig. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a change of mind if given an opportunity this year.

I assume you mean the Gold gig?

To be fair I don't think he was there last year and of all the years to bail, a new coach and a clean slate might not be the best timing. Though as you say, I wonder if he's just waiting to see what happens this year before he puts pen to paper, hence why I'd heard this move wasn't set in stone.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

No, it’s not nonsense and it’s proven in plenty of studies.
Body composition isn’t simply about diet and exercise.

Some people no matter how hard they train or how refined their diet is will ever be able to have the physical structure of someone like Pocock or Etzebeth.

To suggest or think the only reason guys like Simmons, Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blyth, Swain etc don’t have the same physical traits is because they aren’t disciplined or hit the beers on Tuesday night is nonsense.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No, it’s not nonsense and it’s proven in plenty of studies.
Body composition isn’t simply about diet and exercise.

Some people no matter how hard they train or how refined their diet is will ever be able to have the physical structure of someone like Pocock or Etzebeth.

To suggest or think the only reason guys like Simmons, Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blyth, Swain etc don’t have the same physical traits is because they aren’t disciplined or hit the beers on Tuesday night is nonsense.
Isn't the consensus that the reason that all the supremely glorious muscle players happen to be Saffas ain't the biltong but the 'roids?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not according to research being reported on BBC. Nutrition and Genes are reported to have nil effect on body height. All psychology apparently.

BBC is a very reliable source, but I personally have a lot of doubt about this particular item.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not according to research being reported on BBC. Nutrition and Genes are reported to have nil effect on body height. All psychology apparently.

BBC is a very reliable source, but I personally have a lot of doubt about this particular item.

I’m not surprised.. there’s enough people in the world who also think the world is flat and evolution is false