• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not according to research being reported on BBC. Nutrition and Genes are reported to have nil effect on body height. All psychology apparently.

BBC is a very reliable source, but I personally have a lot of doubt about this particular item.
We are talking about mass - not height.

I think to suggest you can't be as built as Eztebeth because 'genetics' is a cop-out. He probably just has an intense work-out regime and diet and a healthy supply of 'supplements'.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I think to suggest you can't be as built as Eztebeth because 'genetics' is a cop-out. He probably just has an intense work-out regime and diet and a healthy supply of 'supplements'.

I was commenting on Adam's reference to height having to do with the Dutch heritage.

BBC podcast available on bbc.co.uk/sounds/play titled The Compass - Changing World, Changing Bodies, by Professor Cregan-Reid, aired on 4 March.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I think to say you can have a physique and fitness like Eztebeth or Pocock without the right genetics is a cop out, its more then just training and diet.

That's like saying the only difference between Usain Bolt and the rest of the population is his diet and workout, its ridiculous.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think to say you can have a physique and fitness like Eztebeth or Pocock without the right genetics is a cop out, its more then just training and diet.

That's like saying the only difference between Usain Bolt and the rest of the population is his diet and workout, its ridiculous.

There is also the bodies ability to accommodate the additional/unnatural muscle mass.
I look at someone like MMM whose body (ligaments/joints) probably weren't able to cater the extra 15kg he put on to be a pro footballer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jonno Lance has returned to Australia presumably because he knew the English season was over and it was about his last chance to return for potentially a long time.

He's currently doing the 14 day isolation in a Gold Coast hotel. Some of his socmed has been pretty good.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Jonno Lance has returned to Australia presumably because he knew the English season was over and it was about his last chance to return for potentially a long time.

He's currently doing the 14 day isolation in a Gold Coast hotel. Some of his socmed has been pretty good.
Do you or anyone else follow other aussie players overseas? I wonder if we've seen some big players return before the curtain fell down and in turn we'll see the most star-studded NRC/domestic comp in August.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you or anyone else follow other aussie players overseas? I wonder if we've seen some big players return before the curtain fell down and in turn we'll see the most star-studded NRC/domestic comp in August.

I don't follow many of them but I'd guess that a fair few of the younger unattached ones have returned home.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quade has put his hand up to play League. Simple game plane for the opposing side, Can see some big boys running straight at him.

Big difference between putting your hand up & getting picked.....

Besides, FuckRugby I mean FoxSports say the Titans, on who's behalf Mal Meninga expressed an interest, aren't in fact interested & I seriously doubt anyone else would be, either, mostly for the reason you stated.

wonder how that fits in with his Japanese contract where he is on pretty decent bikkies.

Fox article saying Titans aren't interested also said his Japan contract doesn't start until January so maybe there's something in there that allows him to do other stuff during their off-season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Big difference between putting your hand up & getting picked...

Besides, FuckRugby I mean FoxSports say the Titans, on who's behalf Mal Meninga expressed an interest, aren't in fact interested & I seriously doubt anyone else would be, either, mostly for the reason you stated.

Fox article saying Titans aren't interested also said his Japan contract doesn't start until January so maybe there's something in there that allows him to do other stuff during their off-season.

apparently the Wests Tigers are interested. As for the 2nd point, I'd doubt that very much. The season may start in January (I don't know) but he has a contract (in the middle of one).

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Didn't Stiles (his coach..) already say if Quade wants to play League he can do it ...when he's not under contract.

Why would a Japanese club risk a million dollar man? More likely to release him completely then maybe re-sign him then let him play under contract

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I read an article yesterday where Stiles said he was dubious Cooper would be released to play. If he wants to play league, Stiles indicated he’d have to make a choice (interestingly Stiles comments seem to suggest that, if he did choose league, the fact he had an existing contract wouldn’t necessarily prohibit him doing it).

With regards to his tackling, league teams run their big guys at halves all the time, the same as union teams. I’m not sure he’s any worse then guys like Lockyer, Soward or Maloney. League teams can carry 1-2 bad defenders. He’ll get targeted and miss some tackles but it won’t be that far off the norm.

Coopers problem will be whether he can play in the regimented, disciplined method role that playing league requires.