• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foley would be the first picked 7s player. He was the captain of the team and one of the best 7s playmakers going around.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope a lot of thought is going into the selection policies for 2016.

The coach has talked about recruiting players from the NRL, for example. Maybe that was just a bit of an attempt to get some free publicity (even a bit of interest) amongst loig supporters.

But whether it is Foley or NRL recruits, presumably they are going to have to be available for the whole of next year's circuit?

Incidentally, I fully support the idea of getting Foley into the squad, although it would be nice if he learns how to kick out of hand first. Assuming that he is the prefered kicker, that is. A conversion in Sevens can be, and often is, the difference between winning and losing.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think there's a bit more room for leeway with a guy like Foley, whose done the circuit before.

I don't disagree, he knows how to play the game, which is the most important reason for requiring newbies to do the circuit.

However there is always the question of team morale, and player cohesion.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
There's also the question of fitness in the Brazilian summer. I think Geraint John has said every player will need 3 months preparation for the olympics.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting the article also mentioned Speight for the 7s. He would be perfect, he's a finisher but has the other core skills pat down like breakdown work and 1 on 1 defending.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I don't disagree, he knows how to play the game, which is the most important reason for requiring newbies to do the circuit.

However there is always the question of team morale, and player cohesion.
I'm certain the squad would welcome his inclusion.
Morale might take a beating if another 4 or 5 also joined the squad.
But I reckon that would only be temporary if the new additions strengthened the squad.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
If pocock does come back strong hooper may find himself benched and looking to 7s wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea. Still a pretty big if at this stage, though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gill might be more likely. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he adopts a Foley approach. A couple of years in Japan and the 7s circuit.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I was a bit disappointed with Gill in the CW games, I think he's gotten a bit too bulky for 7s now. He was much better as a 17 year old when he was more mobile & quicker.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Foley, McMahon, Gill, Speight, JOC (James O'Connor) are guys on my list of potential sevens players.

Obviously it'd be cool if a Folau and or a Hooper was there

T

TOCC

I wonder how the bloke whose done the hard yards helping the team qualify for the Olympics will feel if another player who isn't even signed to Australian Rugby parachutes in for the Olympics..

If someone wants to play at the Olympics I think they need to play a couple of the circuits to prove their selection and also be committed to Australia Rugby..

No player should get to pull on the jersey at the Olympics if he hasn't played some of the circuit, the technicalities and style of 7's has never been more different to XV's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I really don't give a shit about how they feel.
They tour the world,and are well paid whilst doing "the hard yards"
We send the best possible squad,no one is entitled to be there.

It's a little naive to say that, the implications of this are that there is little satisfaction for a player to push his 7's career if he is at risk of losing his position to a higher profile XV's player... Australian Rugby needs talented players seeing 7's as a quality alternative rather then a stepping stone...

Foley might have been a good and is potentially a very good 7's player, but they are two vastly different games and growing further apart.. Especially in the playmaker role.... Is someone like Foley getting placed into the Olympics with no recent 7's experience better then someone like James Standard who has a wealth 7's experience..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lealifano and To'omua are good players. Exceptional test 5/8s though? I don't think so... Wallabies are in real trouble if both Foley and Cooper head off..

Yep, I do think so. In fact, I rate To'omua a better No 10 than Foley primarily for his much stronger defense. But he also plays as flat as or flatter than Foley and offers more variety in attack.

Of course, I would prefer Quade at 10 and To'omua at 12, but I don't think Quade has yet signed up for 2016.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder how the bloke whose done the hard yards helping the team qualify for the Olympics will feel if another player who isn't even signed to Australian Rugby parachutes in for the Olympics..

If someone wants to play at the Olympics I think they need to play a couple of the circuits to prove their selection and also be committed to Australia Rugby..

No player should get to pull on the jersey at the Olympics if he hasn't played some of the circuit, the technicalities and style of 7's has never been more different to XV's.

They should also appreciate that they're getting paid much more and have far more funding in the sport than ever before because the ARU is diverting more revenue primarily raised by the Wallabies to 7s.

It's really not a simple equation. Foley or anyone else will be required to play most of the 7s circuit next year to be a chance for the Olympics. That's a necessity to prove that they add value to the team.

This is about putting our best team on the park and trying to win. Part of that will have to be Wallabies playing some 7s tournaments to ensure that they are actually going to improve the team.

There's no doubt though that Bernard Foley who has matured into a starting Wallaby and was an excellent 7s player only a couple of years ago will provide a substantial improvement to our team.

T

TOCC

It's really not a simple equation. Foley or anyone else will be required to play most of the 7s circuit next year to be a chance for the Olympics. That's a necessity to prove that they add value to the team.

If he proves his value on the 7's circuit and earns his position then he will be a massive boost, what i don't want to see is players selected for the Olympics 7's teams based off their XV's form with no recent 7's experience.... It's not the solution...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a little naive to say that, the implications of this are that there is little satisfaction for a player to push his 7's career if he is at risk of losing his position to a higher profile XV's player.

Most of them get a professional rugby career and travel the world that they otherwise wouldn't have.

There are very few players who would have Super Rugby contracts if they weren't part of the 7s programme.