• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If he proves his value on the 7's circuit and earns his position then he will be a massive boost, what i don't want to see is players selected for the Olympics 7's teams based off their XV's form with no recent 7's experience.. It's not the solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree completely. There is no indication that any players will be considered without having played several lead up tournaments though. Seemingly the Foley contracting situation is so he can be available for almost all the 2016 7s circuit.

T

TOCC

There are very few players who would have Super Rugby contracts if they weren't part of the 7s programme.

I don't necessarily agree, there have been plenty of super rugby players who have come through sevens in recent years..

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foley might have been a good and is potentially a very good 7's player, but they are two vastly different games and growing further apart.. Especially in the playmaker role.. Is someone like Foley getting placed into the Olympics with no recent 7's experience better then someone like James Standard who has a wealth 7's experience..

Oh come on... Stannard was barely Super rugby standard. Foley has played Test rugby. The fact that's played plenty of 7s before is great, the transition isn't that much of a difference - he'll know what is required.

T

TOCC

I agree completely. There is no indication that any players will be considered without having played several lead up tournaments though. Seemingly the Foley contracting situation is so he can be available for almost all the 2016 7s circuit.

If that's what the scenario entails then I agree with it, though some people on here are pushing Speight, Hooper, JOC (James O'Connor) etc

I don't see these guys having the time prove their value and earning their selection on the 7'a circuit in 2016 thus I don't want them brought in just for the Olympics... They might be more talented, but 7's is a different game and you need players with 7's experience in the team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I disagree, plenty of players have come through 7's in recent years.including Bernard Foley

You said that pushing players down there would damage the interest in players being part of the 7s squad at all if there was a risk their spot could be taken by a XVs player. That is the point I was addressing.

Certainly players graduate from the 7s circuit. Plenty of them do. McMahon was a recent example. Generally it's once they mature and are picked up by Super Rugby sides. There are very few cases in Australia where players are opting out of taking up a Super Rugby contract so they can remain part of the 7s system.

If Foley went to the Olympics, it wouldn't be Stannard missing out on a spot. It would be the 3rd or 4th string playmaker who struggles to get on the field anyway. Part of our weakness at the moment is a lack of depth. Our best 7-10 players are much much better than the bench options.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The fact still remains that the majority of our 7s players are Super rugby rejects. Yes they're in the program and will have more 7s experience than the Super rugby players but generally the Super rugby players are better rugby players.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd like to see Kellaway (the winger) have a go at the 7s. Speed and agility are required and I think he has plenty of both. Would be good for his development as a Super player later on as well.

T

TOCC

Oh come on. Stannard was barely Super rugby standard. Foley has played Test rugby. The fact that's played plenty of 7s before is great, the transition isn't that much of a difference - he'll know what is required.

It will be 5 years since Foley played 7's.... You need blokes with 7's experience... Foley is obviously a better athlete, but you need experience in the playmaker position especially, like I've said in other posts..
If he plays in the 7's circuit through the year then he is a very positive inclusion, but I don't agree with bringing in players jus for the Olympics.. If Australia is serious about Gold then these players need to be playing 4 or 5 circuits leading into the Olympics.

T

TOCC

. There are very few cases in Australia where players are opting out of taking up a Super Rugby contract so they can remain part of the 7s system.
Given increases in funding and sponsorship I truly believe this is slowly starting to change, Sevens will become an alternate career path for young players in the future if it hasn't already for some.. Brad Wilkin recently left the Reds extended squad to join the Sevens team, it might be temporary, or it might be an example of Sevens becoming a career choice.

T

TOCC

e41eeb6c11d8b0c1fa8958e250b007bb.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Plenty of good young'uns coming through the system.

It is the circle of life.

Edit: They are also significantly cheaper than the established stars (except for the size of package that Kellaway should be able to get).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Kellaway is a very good finisher, let us wait to see whether he can create tries for himself or, more to the point, for others.

I suspect that he is going to be a bit of a disappointment.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's a little naive to say that, the implications of this are that there is little satisfaction for a player to push his 7's career if he is at risk of losing his position to a higher profile XV's player. Australian Rugby needs talented players seeing 7's as a quality alternative rather then a stepping stone.

Foley might have been a good and is potentially a very good 7's player, but they are two vastly different games and growing further apart.. Especially in the playmaker role.. Is someone like Foley getting placed into the Olympics with no recent 7's experience better then someone like James Standard who has a wealth 7's experience..

Most players see the 7's as a stepping stone to a super contract,I doubt any/many have knocked back a contract with a Soup franchise to stay with the 7's.
I think Foley is a poor example,as he is one that I have no doubt would adapt with ease,but I do take your point that others need to demonstrate they are in fact the best option before being selected in the Olympic squad.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Apparently the Japanese deal with Foley was the genius of the ARU to separate any conflict with the Waratahs and Wallabies and sevens in 2016. And Chieka was not part of it and is not happy. Looks like Geraint John will be the head honcho next year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IF Foley going to Japan is tied in with a return to 7's next year then that's a good thing, isn't it? IIRC he was a very, very good 7's player & from what I've seen of your current outfit I reckon they could use his creativity & that it'd give you a better shot at a medal in Rio (silver or bronze, of course).

Fully expecting a few AB e.g. SBW, Savea being released from Super Rugby. duties next year as they at least try to get up to 7's standard, we can do that with central contracting, ARU have to be more creative (or cunning depending on which Super Rugby. team you support).

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Kellaway is a very good finisher, let us wait to see whether he can create tries for himself or, more to the point, for others.

I suspect that he is going to be a bit of a disappointment.

He played 10 and 12 respectively in his final years at high school. He's also played 13 for Tah's u20s.

Whilst he can be quite selfish in 2 on 1 situations, when he is put in a playmaking position (E.g. 10 or 12) he's actually very handy.

I guarantee you he will not disappoint.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He played 10 and 12 respectively in his final years at high school. He's also played 13 for Tah's u20s.

Whilst he can be quite selfish in 2 on 1 situations, when he is put in a playmaking position (E.g. 10 or 12) he's actually very handy.

I guarantee you he will not disappoint.

I will be the happiest man alive if he lives up to the hype.