• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

TOCC

By not picking someone 'cos he's announced hes outta here you run the risk of picking a lesser player who may well fuck off on you anyway, using the fact you've picked him & that he's now a bona fide Wallaby rather than just part of the train-on squad to increase his salary. Best to pick the better player, IMO, regardless of where he may or may not be playing this time next year.

It depends on the competitiveness of the selection..

If there are two players, and one player is miles ahead of the second then i think its obvious that you select him regardless of staying or leaving...

But if it were 50/50, then i think the right thing is to pick the player who is remaining in the country, not just to reward him but to also help develop experience in a player who will remain in the country in the longer term.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^ only if you've got the other bloke signed up for at least the following year. Sorry, gotta go, Oirish only need 12 from 16......

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Pick the best player available irrespective of where playing next year.

Wgen you have a 50 - 50 call then pick the guy staying in Australia.

Kept is the standout and possibly Genia if he starts playing well consistently.

I would be surprised (not gob smacked) to see Horwill,Higgers, White or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to make RWC squad

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pick the best player available irrespective of where playing next year.

Wgen you have a 50 - 50 call then pick the guy staying in Australia.

Kept is the standout and possibly Genia if he starts playing well consistently.

I would be surprised (not gob smacked) to see Horwill,Higgers, White or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to make RWC squad

Lots of people (myself included) didn't want SBW picked for RWC 2011 because as at the selection deadline he hadn't re-signed for 2012; many people (myself not included) didn't want him picked in 2012 because he had by then made it clear he was going back to RL.

Somewhere between RWC selection & the June Tests of 2012 I came around to the notion of picking the best player available THIS WEEK regardless of where he might be in 6 months.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Scrubber, I'm not sure if you meant wouldn't be surprised but I would consider White, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Higgers certainties to make the RWC squad.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It seems to me overly sensationalist, made up bullshit is contagious at the SMH.I read the article thinking oi vay, your lot is going the route SARU has taken by picking overseas based players. It's piss poor journalism.

Some of the headlines this mob rolls out can be pretty entertaining, often having nothing in common with the actual story. It' fun to read though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scrubber, I'm not sure if you meant wouldn't be surprised but I would consider White, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Higgers certainties to make the RWC squad.

Yep, as they should, although AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs to extract a finger

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Not quite sure I understand everything that is implied in this article.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...and-at-world-cup/story-e6frg7o6-1227240707072

I read the rules a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I remember it saying that if you are member of the Test squad and are present at a test match you are captured for that country. McKibbin did this once in 2012.

McKibbin says that to play in the RWC for Scotland he would have to do a sevens leg or a 15s test match beforehand. something about waiting 18 months before you can transfer. Sounds pretty complicated. I don't get why you have to have represented your nation before RWC selection when "transferring."

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
That's what I thought but the rules have been changed according to the article McKibbin has to jump through some hoops in order to transfer his nationality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not quite sure I understand everything that is implied in this article.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...and-at-world-cup/story-e6frg7o6-1227240707072

I read the rules a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I remember it saying that if you are member of the Test squad and are present at a test match you are captured for that country. McKibbin did this once in 2012.

McKibbin says that to play in the RWC for Scotland he would have to do a sevens leg or a 15s test match beforehand. something about waiting 18 months before you can transfer. Sounds pretty complicated. I don't get why you have to have represented your nation before RWC selection when "transferring."

Paywall block. Any chance you could post the opening para, Im told that by copying that into our all-knowing friend Google it's possible to side-step Uncle.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah that's how I read it. Even works on iPhones now.

WARATAHS back-up half Brendan McKibbin may not play for the Wallabies this year, but he could still appear at the World Cup.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah that's how I read it. Even works on iPhones now.

WARATAHS back-up half Brendan McKibbin may not play for the Wallabies this year, but he could still appear at the World Cup.

Sadly not (yet?) for iPad, ran straight into the paywall again but thanks for the link, maybe I just need to get with the programme & acquire an iPhone (no fucking way I'm paying Uncle's ransom).