• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Has he signed for 2016?

No, but he hasn't announced that he's going anywhere either. He's on contract till after the RWC.

You seem to be making the assumption that any incumbents aren't going to be around unless they state otherwise..which is fine but it's a pretty conservative view and also likely to be incorrect in many cases.

With regards to Butler, if he's ever going to get a Wallabies berth it will probably be as a 7..even S Hoiles would be ahead of him at 8 for 2016.

T

TOCC

Let's just remember that Nic White was announced as signed for 2016 as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Phipps is signed to 2017. Pretty sure Benn Robinson is signed to 2016. He signed a 3 year contract before the Lions tour under Deans and before the scrum rules changed and then a few months later got dropped by McKenzie. Read two different articles about TPN one said he's off contract the other that he is signed to 2016.

Included Robbo in the squad for LHP, but will wait for uo to date info on TPN.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No, but he hasn't announced that he's going anywhere either. He's on contract till after the RWC.

You seem to be making the assumption that any incumbents aren't going to be around unless they state otherwise..which is fine but it's a pretty conservative view and also likely to be incorrect in many cases.

With regards to Butler, if he's ever going to get a Wallabies berth it will probably be as a 7..even S Hoiles would be ahead of him at 8 for 2016.

At the outset, I explained that my idea was to look only at those who have signed for 2016 and beyond, mainly to see if the exodus of players going overseas was going to be as terrible as some have feared. And as you say I am taking a very conservative (pessimistic) view by not including any who have yet to decide or announce their intentions for 2016. Not much point assuming players will be available if they haven't yet informed us of those intentions. As players sign, or I become aware that other players have signed, they will be added to the list.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BR, are you an accountant per chance?

Sorry to disappoint you RR. Prior to retirement finished my career as a Project Manager. Budgeting was really the closest I got to anything resembling accounting.

My concern is to lay to rest the wailing that is going on about the numbers of players going overseas. I have a distinct feeling that we could well be stronger in 2016 than either of the Bokke or the ABs, though the never-ending conveyor belt that is NZ rugby will come into play of course.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think that was his point, just because these players have been announced as 'signed' through 2016 doesn't guarantee that they'll actually be here.

No, but it must be the best guide until some announcement to the contrary is made. Certainly more relevant than those who have currently only signed for 2015 and who we all hope will still be around next year.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
So now the Wallabies 2016 is looking a lot better.

LHP : Sio, Cowan, Daley, Hoskings, Robinson

No 2 : Moore, Charles, Siliva,

THP : Faulkner, Ala'alatoa, Toupou

Lock : Carter, Timani, Coleman, Enever, Staniforth, Jeffries

No 6 : Fardy, Cottrell

No 7 : McMahon

No 8 : Butler

No 9 : Phipps, Meehan, Dowsett

No 10 : To'omua, Debreczini

No 11 : Tomane, Horne

No 12 : Lealiifano, Godwin, Dargaville

No 13 : Kuridrani (T), Rosolea, Ah Wong, English

No 14 : Speight, Shipperley

No 15 : O'Connor, Crawford, Placid

Just need Phipps and Folau to commit to 2016 (if they haven't yet) and another lock to step up to test match level and we are looking good. Although, I have to say, to this point it is comforting that the Brumbies have been able to retain most of their current Wallabies. Otherwise, it wouldn't be anywhere near as promising for next year.

Faulkner at 3??? Butler at 8??? :eek:

It's like a Tier 2 team.

I hope the Kiwis exodus continue to rise, is the only hope to regain the Bledisloe

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Faulkner at 3??? Butler at 8??? :eek:

It's like a Tier 2 team.

I hope the Kiwis exodus continue to rise, is the only hope to regain the Bledisloe

MHCS you appear to be still missing the point. I am simply keeping a watching brief on what the 2016 Wallabies might look like given only those players who have so far committed to stay for next year and beyond. I have no doubts that others will come into play as they finalise their ongoing contracts this year, and No 8 is one spot that I'd expect other qualified players like McCalman or Palu to become available. And Maybe even Holloway if he continues to improve, but I don't know what his contract status is atm.

But given Kepu is off, who do you think will be the No 3 based on known availability for next year? Benny A apparently hasn't yet signed beyond 2015, nor Laurie Weeks either as far as I know. Both would clearly be considered if the sign for next year.

Even at this stage I don't think it is realistic to say it's a Tier 2 side. Most other spots are filled by current Wallabies. Or do you think our current side is Tier2?

T

TOCC

If it anything like last year the Reds won't confirm re-signings/signings until October

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Weeks is signed to another two years with the Rebels. I think the number 3 will belong to Holmes until Allen A from the Brumbies gets a bit older. Kepu will be back for Super Rugby in 2019 but might join the Wallabies earlier in 2018.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Weeks is signed to another two years with the Rebels. I think the number 3 will belong to Holmes until Allen A from the Brumbies gets a bit older. Kepu will be back for Super Rugby in 2019 but might join the Wallabies earlier in 2018.

Thanks. Weeks added to the squad.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Allen A is currently a LHP, isn't he? Brother Michael is a THP. Allen looks to have the greater potential.

Holmes only has a few years left I think. He'd be about 32 now.

If Weeks develops a little, we will see him get more chances for the Wallabies I think. Weeks is 28, I think.

Talakai looks the most promising up and coming THP that is sticking around and that has regular game time, but we have barely seen much of him at Super Rugby level.

PAE was one of the most promising schoolboy THPs we've ever produced (if not the most promising), but he hasn't progressed as some thought he might. PAE is still just 23, the same age as Talakai actually I believe, and the same age as Sio as well? Slipper is also just 25, all four are still young for props.

I doubt Kepu will return to play professionally in Australia.