• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Allan A was THP for Aus U20s last year. http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...orld-championship-–-new-zealand.13567/page-24
Thought he played that for the Brumbies. Mike is an LHP who was converted to THP for the Eagles in the NRC last year but I think he is just considered an LHP now, not sure though.

Holmes is 31 turning 32 later in the year. Good age for a prop and could carry the national team for a couple of years before the next generation come through.

Why would Kepu not return for a RWC year? he only just turned 29 last month. He'll be 32/33 for 2018/19. Judging by how old the Argentinian props are and how good, I don't think Holmes and Kepu are pushing it at that age.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that Kepu, at 32 or 33, won't risk the top money from Europe for a last couple of seasons for a last ditch attempt at the World Cup. It's very rare that players in their last couple of seasons return for a World Cup attempt.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Keeps could easily return. However IF another bloke steps up and does well and Keps is not a "certainty" then why risk it. He would be on shitloads by then

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Mark Gerrard returned at 29 to have a shot at RWC which would be the equivalent career age for an outside back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Now we must not only worry about the French money, the British money or the Japanese money:

A leading NRL player agent has been approached by an NFL franchise to scout for Australian talent. The franchise told him what they were after. Rugby UNION stars are in their sights:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...layer-scout-role/story-fn2mcuj6-1227246088581

Smith said the franchise had been particularly interested in the talents present in Australian rugby circles, especially the potential for second-rowers and bigger flankers to make the transition as defensive players in the American game.

:eek::eek::eek:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Smith said the franchise had been particularly interested in the talents present in Australian rugby circles, especially the potential for second-rowers and bigger flankers to make the transition as defensive players in the American game.

I doubt that any established forwards would be interested (or could afford) to take the sort of gamble that Hayne has. This sounds like a beat-up to me.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I expect Will Skelton's agent will keep this filed away to be brought out in time for the next contract negotiation.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What a big beat up from this Hayne situation. Hype hype hype, it's a big deal when he actually gets a proper contract, not a training contract.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
True, but it's still an interesting story. I'll be watching his development closely, hoping that he can score a contract (looks unlikely though).

T

TOCC

He has essentially taken a $1million pay cut, I always thought he was a bit of a dick but good on him for risking his career to chase something he really wants to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I expect Will Skelton's agent will keep this filed away to be brought out in time for the next contract negotiation.

will skelton would go horribly in nfl. doesnt have the pace or accelleration to be effective and is too tall to get low enough on smaller players.
to me this targets a higgers or a palu and if it is true they will be after under 20 types i think who they can grab on a $150k a year contract and have a punt with.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Now we must not only worry about the French money, the British money or the Japanese money:

A leading NRL player agent has been approached by an NFL franchise to scout for Australian talent. The franchise told him what they were after. Rugby UNION stars are in their sights:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...layer-scout-role/story-fn2mcuj6-1227246088581

I call bullshit on this story

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
will skelton would go horribly in nfl. doesnt have the pace or accelleration to be effective and is too tall to get low enough on smaller players.
to me this targets a higgers or a palu and if it is true they will be after under 20 types i think who they can grab on a $150k a year contract and have a punt with.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

I'm just saying I can see his manager using it.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

People said the same about Jarryd Hayne, the man wasn't the faster player in NRL and with few months of training he got the speed of a top NFL running back. There is no much difference between rugby and american football players, our sport has beasts like Julian Savea, Bryan Habana, Israel Folau and Tevita Kuridrani that can compete with any top NFL player.

The NFL lasts only 3 months per year, players have 9 months for rest and training. Rugby players play more than 10 months per year with a tight schedule, imagine what could achieve guys like Julian Savea or Israel Folau with so many months for rest and training per year?. NFL agents were surprised by speed and physical abilities of Hayne, and he had only few months to prepare. Rugby has had more physical and faster players than Hayne like Jonah Lomu or Joe Rokocoko at his best.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Most of those guys would also realise that playing the position of running back is so brutal that most guys have an average NFL career of three seasons.

You are kidding yourself if a bunch of these top rugby players are going to consider following Hayne's lead.

He has gone to the NFL because it's his childhood dream and the thing he is most passionate about.

Hayne has always been one of the fastest of the best players in the NRL. Let's forget about the ex sprinter wingers who never make the grade (and they don't really get anywhere these days like a few did in the past). Of the elite players, Hayne has always been amongst the fastest.

Hayne will still probably never play an NFL game. I'm sure hoping he does because I follow the NFL and it would be awesome but the odds are stacked against him.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Most of those guys would also realise that playing the position of running back is so brutal that most guys have an average NFL career of three seasons.

You are kidding yourself if a bunch of these top rugby players are going to consider following Hayne's lead.

He has gone to the NFL because it's his childhood dream and the thing he is most passionate about.

Hayne has always been one of the fastest of the best players in the NRL. Let's forget about the ex sprinter wingers who never make the grade (and they don't really get anywhere these days like a few did in the past). Of the elite players, Hayne has always been amongst the fastest.

Hayne will still probably never play an NFL game. I'm sure hoping he does because I follow the NFL and it would be awesome but the odds are stacked against him.

I never said that Hayne will succeed in the NFL, I just said he showed that there aren't many athletic differences between rugby and american football as some people say, especially the ignorant Americans who know nothing about foreign sports.

Also, in the NFL there are excellent sprinters who never make the grade. Rondel Melendez and Chris Johnson are the faster players in the 40 yard dash history and they aren't the best players of the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also, in the NFL there are excellent sprinters who never make the grade. Rondel Melendez and Chris Johnson are the faster players in the 40 yard dash history and they aren't the best players of the game.

Johnson was the best running back in the league in his second season. He was unbelievable.