• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Athletically Hayne is fine, but not being brought up with the game will be too much.

Agree with this generally, but isn't he planning on being a kick returner? Seems like a pretty easy position to grasp, it doesn't have the tactical nuances of other roles

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Johnson was the best running back in the league in his second season. He was unbelievable.

Now he's in Jets, one of the worst teams in the NFL. He has speed and nothing more, too small to break tackles, he depended on his teammates to gain yards, he won few yards after first contact. He was never at the level of players like Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch or DeMarco Murray. They are slower than him but have the power and the size.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Now he's in Jets, one of the worst teams in the NFL. He has speed and nothing more, too small to break tackles, he depended on his teammates to gain yards, he won few yards after first contact. He was never at the level of players like Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch or DeMarco Murray. They are slower than him but have the power and the size.

I'm not really sure what you're arguing. Of course 40 yard sprint time isn't the only predictor of how good a running back is. It's just one of many.

The underlying thing if you look at the career stats of any running back is that most of them are only really good for a couple of seasons (and these are the most elite ones in the league). It's an absolutely brutal position and you get smashed repeatedly and suffer lots of injuries.

Chris Johnson ran for 2,000 yards in 2009 (something only 7 guys in history have ever done I believe). There are very, very few running backs who were elite players 6 years ago and are still amongst the best in the league. That is why it is so difficult.

T

TOCC

Top14 team of the week, 4 Aussies
e40926209d8f2515708d8ab9e12de7be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Rumour is Ioane is leave Stade Francais, to where though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think he's got 2 more seasons with Stade after this one. Would love to have him back this year, but will probably not eventuate. Finishing his contract in full would see him coming back at 28 (roughly Fardy age), with a wealth of experience and knowledge, with 2 (and maybe that little bit when Top14 finishes, but the Soup is still on) seasons of Australian Rugby to grab himself a Canary Jersey.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
An interesting idea from South Africa to limit the exodus:

Currently, Springboks under contract are not allowed to negotiate with a foreign club before 1 July each year, giving them a matter of weeks before the start of the European season to seal a deal. Midi Olympique claims that under the secret plans being drawn up by Saru – allegedly outlined in letters recently 'sent to Boks and their representatives' – a whole new set of regulations will be implemented from next season.
The paper states that when the new regulations are brought in approximately 40 ‘principally young’ players will form an elite group (an increase from the current number of 20 Springbok contracts), which will be obliged to inform Saru if they have an intention to move abroad before 30 April each year. There will then be a 90-day moratorium during which time the player is forbidden from negotiating with any overseas club. These 90 days will simultaneously give Saru 'the time to prepare the best financial offer possible' to hopefully persuade the player in question to stay in South Africa and not take up an overseas contract.

http://m.sarugbymag.co.za/compatibl...mit-player-exodus#saru-to-limit-player-exodus

What do u think?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'm no contract law expert but that seems unlikely to be replicable in Australia because of our restraint of trade laws.

Hopefully the SARU can find something that works because they seem in an even worse position than the ARU with regards to retaining players.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm no contract law expert but that seems unlikely to be replicable in Australia because of our restraint of trade laws.

Hopefully the SARU can find something that works because they seem in an even worse position than the ARU with regards to retaining players.

I'm not sure if they are in a worse position. Wallabies are apparently more required than Boks ATM by the rule that they aren't eligible for the national team.

If you are Bath and you have Francois Louw and David Pocock on your team. Louw can play for his national team, so you're going to lose him in many games while Pocock is 100% at your disposal

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure if they are in a worse position. Wallabies are apparently more required than Boks ATM by the rule that they aren't eligible for the national team.

If you are Bath and you have Francois Louw and David Pocock on your team. Louw can play for his national team, so you're going to lose him in many games while Pocock is 100% at your disposal
Its not the national team I'm talking about. South Africa have way more players os than Australia and its affecting every level of their competition from super rugby down.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If anyone still believes we should pick overseas players go look what is happening to the NBL now. No one gives a fuck about it because of the NBA and all our best players play in the NBA.

Nobody watches the Boomers, either, perhaps because they don't play anybody.

However if overseas players are selected for the Wallabies our national team would win more, bringing in more viewers and more sponsorship money (because Australians only want to watch the Wobbs when they win), which would be a good thing. More success at the national level (and more overseas career opportunities) might help us attract a slightly greater share of the potential players who now go to loig, because that is their only real choice.

The NBA and the Premier League would always be more popular than the local equivalents no matter what the local selection policies are, simply because they are, and apparently always will be, world leaders in their sport.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
However if overseas players are selected for the Wallabies our national team would win more.

This is the six million dollar question though.

Would we win more?

I think next year could be the first time ever that our team could be definitely improved by selecting foreign based players and at this stage that would only involve Kepu.

I can't think of one definitive overseas option that would have improved our side in the last couple of years.

Picking Matt Giteau at 12 would be closest but Matt To'omua has also been one of our best performers.