• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Towns Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kippax, ACT. Postcode 2615. Named after a Polly and a typical bland Canberra suburb. One of the few loactions in Australia that ends in an X and this can be the end of a trivia Towns name game if Xantippe has already been used.

Xantippe, WA. Double points for naming this little beauty. 3960 km from The Corso, Manly. If you get near the Irishtown turnoff to Eradu, you have gone about 200 km too far.
This is famous for being the only X town in Australia and is found near Dalwallinu in the WA wheat belt. It got its name from workers on the rabbit-proof fence. On discovering that the granite ground they were working on was almost impenetrable, they called the place Xantippe, after the wife of Greek philosopher Socrates, reputedly a very hard woman!

I think many Gaggerlanders are acquainted with offspring of said Xantippe.

Great work by @Gristlechewer to lead in to the K for Kippax.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Elanora Heights in Sydney NSW, spent a many delightful day learning to play golf with my beloved grandmother at its county club there.

Can't remember any pie shop there back then but the food was also delightful at the clubhouse!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Surat, Queensland.

About an hour south of Roma. The first time I heard of this place was yesterday, when my Mum rang me, to inform me my Dad had passed away peacefully overnight while they slept in their caravan. He was 67 and a top bloke.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Just realised how heavy that sounds - it fucking is for me I guess, but don't pour out emotional shit here.

Just like the post or something and, next time you're thinking about sending flowers in your own family losses, send something small and donate the difference to research on cancer/heart disease/genetics or something.

Next town starts with T.

I'm going to get a beer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tingha, just outside Inverell. Famous for Tin, though the name apparently is an Aboriginal word meaning "flat or level"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Allansford, Vic. My mate Allan who used to live in this Western Victorian town actually drives a Holden. The Junction Hotel has a standard pie warmer stocked with 4'n'20 pies at burn your mouth temperature. Not much else to endear this place gastronomically.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Dandenong - Vic. AKA the Nong. Makes Auburn look like the jewel in the crown. No rugby to speak of in the Nong.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
GOONELLABAH - NSW.

Way up in the north of the state on the road into Lismore. Lots and lots of good young Rugby Players are coming from this area. Must be something in the water, or some passionate teachers that have shown these lads the righteous path. Unfortunately they don't have a decent pie to munch on in the town, only a < insert brand> generic pizza joint. Blurgh.
Suncoast Takeaway does an ok sanga, but Zest eatery is good on the burger, but it is more the cafe than your greasy spoon.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Heddon Greta - suburb of Newcastle. Has a drive-in which is its local claim to fame. Not sure of pie shops though.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Antigua, just south of Maryborough in central Queensland. On the Mary River, cute spot. Dunno 'bout the pies, not too far from Kenilworth to hoe into some decent cheese.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Geez Lindo, you don't make it easy for us...another 'a' ending!

Dug into the deep recesses of my mind and came up with this: Allambie Heights, in Sydney, NSW, itself...growing up in Lower North Shore, it was a suburb that I can't ever remember venturing into despite its proximity and spending alot of time on the upper Northern Beaches.

I heard on the grapevine a junior rugby club was recently formed thereabouts in that area to cater for the increasing number overflowing from Freshwater and Manly clubs.

If it had a pie shop worthy of note, I'd have heard about it by now!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stanwell Tops, NSW. Hang gliders love this this town on the escarpment overlooking the 'Gong. Badly hit by 2001 Chrismas Day bushfire. Food - Nil. Wine - Nil. Rugby - Nil.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Seal Rocks, NSW. Good surfing and fishing near here. Named after the rocks near Sugarloaf Point Lighthouse and the fur seals that congregate on them, and nothing to do with this bloke, and what his fans say he does.

Seal Henry Olusegun Olumide Adeola Samuel

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Seal Rocks, NSW. Good surfing and fishing near here. Named after the rocks near Sugarloaf Point Lighthouse and the fur seals that congregate on them, and nothing to do with this bloke, and what his fans say he does.

Seal Henry Olusegun Olumide Adeola Samuel

Perhaps he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.