• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You asked for evidence for why I hold that view, and I gave it. You don't have to agree with my assessment, but you don't get to make up things that I said.

I don't want to go back-and-forth, so I'll leave it at this. You spoke in very absolute terms about Hooper's leadership:

Your captain simply must have respect and Hooper is *not* respected.

I'm not sure you have the evidence to back it up. When asked to do so, you put forward a lot of vague statements about how previous captains were better, but really didn't base it on anything much.

It's classic keyboard warrior stuff. You're fine to believe it all you want, though.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't want to go back-and-forth, so I'll leave it at this. You spoke in very absolute terms about Hooper's leadership:

I'm not sure you have the evidence to back it up. When asked to do so, you put forward a lot of vague statements about how previous captains were better, but really didn't base it on anything much.

It's classic keyboard warrior stuff. You're fine to believe it all you want, though.
Not vague - I gave specific examples.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That has to mean that their hearts are not in it. Beale has the size and technique to defend aggressively when he chooses to. Even Foley fronts up and shows no fear when tackling in just about every test. Genia is a bit lacklustre at times lately and just gives up.
Someone like JW would put in a very solid centre pairing and wings that can defend well.

I don't know if you can say their hearts weren't in it. I think those guys are putting in. They're at the end of a long season, things are going badly and their confidence is shot.

DHP had a mere of a game in defence which is unusual.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't know if you can say their hearts weren't in it. I think those guys are putting in. They're at the end of a long season, things are going badly and their confidence is shot.

I reckon, already being low, seeing Farrell get away with murder and stopping a certain try would do me in mentally. Pushing shit up a hill.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
and one man up and them minus their captain, flyhalf and goal kicker

Yep. It was a monumentally bad decision by Peyper. You would hope he gets his card marked badly for it. It wasn't even contentious and then to suggest that Rodda also dropped his shoulder is laughable.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
You do wonder how different things would have been in the second half if we score there and go into half time with a lead.

I wonder how things might have turned out if we hadn't gifted them an opportunity in the first 60 seconds.

Surely we will play another 100 tests and never see such a debarcle. That try was just a gift.

Take that try out and count back the 2 disallowed then we might have nearly won it.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

They may have a had a hard season but if all except Folau are dropping off tackles in a season defining game there must be other issues. DHP was hot and cold. The initial charge down was due to a small fumble by Genia at the base. He was very nervous or caught up in the excitement of his 100th test. Fair enough too but he had a very rough start. The tackle DHP fell off looked like he took a head knock and was out cold for a second. They never did give him an HIA and he played on. It was obvious that he was in some trouble.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They may have a had a hard season but if all except Folau are dropping off tackles in a season defining game there must be other issues.

Folau has missed tackles too, just not in this game.

It was more in reference to the suggestion that certain players would be unselectable if Jake White was coach because he has a defence first mindset.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder how things might have turned out if we hadn't gifted them an opportunity in the first 60 seconds.

Surely we will play another 100 tests and never see such a debarcle. That try was just a gift.

Take that try out and count back the 2 disallowed then we might have nearly won it.

Yep, it was a terrible play, firstly by Genia for continuing after he fumbled it and secondly for DHP not to change his option once he was passed the ball.

Genia needed to go himself or look for a shorter pass and another phase.

DHP needed to pass further to his left or try and step back inside.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
The Farrell no penalty try is one example where the captain can have a specific positive impact. Eg could a different captain (Pocock maybe) have been able to convince the referee to check the video?

This is also where the home crowd has too much influence. DHP's try at the start of the game was given as a try and then they only overturned it because it went on the big screen and the crowd booed.

I am certain if Farrell's tackle was an Aussie player and went up on the big screen with the crowd booing then that would have definitely gone to the video ref as well and been judged differently (correctly).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They may have a had a hard season but if all except Folau are dropping off tackles in a season defining game there must be other issues. DHP was hot and cold. The initial charge down was due to a small fumble by Genia at the base. He was very nervous or caught up in the excitement of his 100th test. Fair enough too but he had a very rough start. The tackle DHP fell off looked like he took a head knock and was out cold for a second. They never did give him an HIA and he played on. It was obvious that he was in some trouble.

Genia also threw that pass to no one into the in goal, and then appeared to give To'omua a spray for it........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thats OK. Defence wins tests matches.
There was a time not long ago when Beales defence improved immeasurably. He can do it if he wishes to.

Immeasurably seems to be over cooking it JB, although I concede he was coming off a very flat base, close to zero in technique and effort. He is now very close to being back at that base. IMO Beale's time is over and I wouldn't shed a tear if he never graces the Wallabies again. I previously held this opinion on attitude and behavioural grounds, now it is simply on the basis of continued very poor form.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Immeasurably seems to be over cooking it JB, although I concede he was coming off a very flat base, close to zero in technique and effort. He is now very close to being back at that base. IMO Beale's time is over and I wouldn't shed a tear if he never graces the Wallabies again. I previously held this opinion on attitude and behavioural grounds, now it is simply on the basis of continued very poor form.
Yeah but lets be honest, you wouldn't shed a tear if no Waratah ever wore a Gold jersey again.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep, yep yep yep yep....

I think we're just going to have to accept that he's going to spend first 2/3's of the Super Rugby season coasting it through but never lets down the Wallabies.

That has an element of truth Slim, but I really liked the way he put in the effort and actuall broke the defensive line and also showed good off loading ability in the last 5 or 6 games with the Brumbies this year. Looked like he had had the shackles removed and was given the go ahead to play it how he wanted. I am hoping for a lot more of the same next year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

DHP's defense has been very marginal at best, one on one, this year. He did get hold of the big England winger just short of the tryline though which was a very solid effort, for which I note Michael Hooper gets most of the kudos for getting under the ball, but it was DHP who brought the winger down.

Status
Not open for further replies.