• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Ireland, Sat 9th June @ 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Foriii because Pillock. No, we have many cattle. I would dispute your proposition that Kerevi has no defence, and I think it is more that people have very rote ideas about what any player in a certain position must do, and they don't always gel with others' opinions.

Of course, Kerevi can defend, and has been noticeably better in recent games with his one on one tackling.What concerns me is that he played 13 v the Tahs and the backline defensive structure virtually disappeared on occasions as the Tahs attacked wide. I think he can handle 12 adequately, but hasn't yet shown that he is any better than average at 13.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Never doubted Kerevi’s technical tackling ability (see the Foley tackle), he clearly knows how, but a 13 also needs to know when and where, which has never been Kerevi’s strength. I get wanting to try someone other than Kuridrani with his current Super form, but surely it should have been Rona; we’ve seen the Kerevi show before, and I hope this isn’t a rerun.

Right on the money Roffy. The Reds' defensive structure was very poor against the Tahs. How much that might have been attributable to Kerevi at 13, it didn't look good.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think any of those are really surprises, except playing Timu at 8 instead of Po, maybe Koroibete playing at 14 instead of 11 otherwise Latu's selection is curious but with no Rangi in the squad he was the only available option (IIRC).
Maybe not picking Robinson is a little surprising but only because of the 'Cheika's favourites' but AAA should be up to it. Not sure on Simmons but he's been good this season, maybe Tui could replace him entirely next game if he plays well.

Should be Arnold in the next two tests, to go with Coleman and Rodda.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Initial thoughts.............

Squad largely as anticipated.

A few things I’m not keen on.........

- AAA as LH reserve prop - so much time (successfully) converting to TH over the last few years, and I can’t recall if he ever has packed down on the other side at test level?

- 6/2 bench splits - it only takes an early injury to a back line player to screw everything up, and with the Wobs history of that happening..........

- Kerevi at outside centre - possible last chance ala Higgers? So far his test form has been highlighted more by his inability to defend than his attacking prowess.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Test rugby is a different beast and a big step up from Super Rugby. Latu will be fine as long as he does not need to come on in the first 10 minutes. That finishing front row is pretty solid, tight 5 really.
Kerevi, we will see on Saturday I guess. Two years ago against the Poms and last year in Bled1. Hope it’s not the same old story.
We look very strong up front.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
- Kerevi at outside centre - possible last chance ala Higgers? So far his test form has been highlighted more by his inability to defend than his attacking prowess.
The same thought occurred to me. If Kerevi is found wanting again he will potentially have his cards marked and be up against it to get another shot.

The upside is he has his future in his own hands and you can’t ask for more than that, but he needs to grasp the chance with both hands.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The same thought occurred to me. If Kerevi is found wanting again he will potentially have his cards marked and be up against it to get another shot.

The upside is he has his future in his own hands and you can’t ask for more than that, but he needs to grasp the chance with both hands.

I'm not sure Kerevi is the terrible defender everyone makes him out to be! He's not outstanding and has his deficiencies but he's a better defender than Foley, Beale, or perhaps Folau. We hide Foley, Beale all the time yet Kerevi isn't an awesome defender and everyone shits all over him. And the worst part is the game everyone holds out as an example for his terrible defence -- none of those incidents are actually entirely Kerevi's fault.
Like I said he's got his defensive issues, but 3 others out of our 7 backs are worse.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm not sure Kerevi is the terrible defender everyone makes him out to be! He's not outstanding and has his deficiencies but he's a better defender than Foley, Beale, or perhaps Folau. We hide Foley, Beale all the time yet Kerevi isn't an awesome defender and everyone shits all over him. And the worst part is the game everyone holds out as an example for his terrible defence -- none of those incidents are actually entirely Kerevi's fault.
Like I said he's got his defensive issues, but 3 others out of our 7 backs are worse.
13 is such an important defensive position, particularly in test rugby. Cheika seems to pick his teams as if they are going to play a Super rugby game. I hope Kerevi comes to the party but I have my doubts. He gets away with the defensive lapses at the Reds but will be ruthlessly exposed by Ireland and then the ABs.
There is nowhere for a test 13 to “hide”.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree with you, and I think that's going to be a massive problem for the Wallabies in this series. You won't have anywhere to hide with the Irish centers.

Flankers already have to cover Murray, than you have a couple of fly half's that mix attacking flat and looping around on attack.

I'll call first try to be Stockdale intercepting a Beale pass.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I agree with you, and I think that's going to be a massive problem for the Wallabies in this series. You won't have anywhere to hide with the Irish centers.

Has Bundee Aki improved since he got into the Irish setup? I seem to recall him struggling to make the Chief's side (albeit a very good one).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Indeed it is.

As I think I’ve said elsewhere, re Kerevi Test 1, in relation to Chek’s assessment of Ireland’s overall talents, and particularly their excellent defensive strengths, it may be worth considering that as HC he’s got a sound rationale for choosing a proven line breaker at 13 vs a more ‘secure’ defender in only middling attacking form.

FWIW, I think his risk-reward calculus re Kerevi is right.

We will not beat Ireland through our best defensive players. If that’s our priority, we most likely lower our loss PD, but lose nonetheless. We have to create ‘the better chaos’ in their defensive patterns, driving through their line with fast, accurate, offloads in long attacking phases to see them need spontaneity more than known patterns.

Ireland are a lesser team when their strong, structured play is dissembled and, ironically, they have to ‘play what’s in front of them’.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Gee I hope he takes that chance and locks down the 13 jersey for the foreseeable future. A backline with Kerevi, Koroibete, Folau, and Beale is one hell of a prospect.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Gee I hope he takes that chance and locks down the 13 jersey for the foreseeable future. A backline with Kerevi, Koroibete, Folau, and Beale is one hell of a prospect.
It is. And I think Foley can be very good with these guys too. The best parts of his game is he flattens the attack, is direct and is quick to capitalise if the defence overreads it and drifts off him too early.

Please God I hope Grey has ditched the deck chair shuffle defence system.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Please God I hope Grey has ditched the deck chair shuffle defence system.

Hopefully only having a week to prepare means he's just had to shelve any complicated ideas. Seemed to work last year with the one week turnaround from Sydney to Dunedin.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Has Bundee Aki improved since he got into the Irish setup? I seem to recall him struggling to make the Chief's side (albeit a very good one).
He has, I still prefer a Henshaw/Ringrose center combo for playing Bundee against Beale/Foley defense is a good move.

Henderson, Stander, Murray will need close attention so expect Bundee to find some room.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Just thought i'd come on to give my thoughts on the team. Overall I really like the team. The forward pack looks like a nice mix. a fair bit of pressure on BPA at hooker, cause i think the lineout could be a weakness if he doesnt throw perfectly...but otherwise im hopeful we can compete well in the forwards. I'm happy to see Simmons isnt in the starting side and i dont hate his selection on the bench. The kerevi selection is a the biggest gamble imo. I would have gone TK. Ireland will undoubtedly target him but to be fair he's definitely been working hard on improving his defence this year. whether he's improved enough im not so sure we'll find out pretty quickly.

Ireland look a settled side so I think they'll control the game. But there's enough talent in the side to steal a close win if we're lucky. The backline is pretty lethal and if pocock plays well he could get a few well timed penalties when we are on the back foot.

I'm going to the game and I've bought tickets for 6 of my mates to join me so im pumped. looks to be a near sell out! game on!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just thought i'd come on to give my thoughts on the team. Overall I really like the team. The forward pack looks like a nice mix. a fair bit of pressure on BPA at hooker, cause i think the lineout could be a weakness if he doesnt throw perfectly.but otherwise im hopeful we can compete well in the forwards. I'm happy to see Simmons isnt in the starting side and i dont hate his selection on the bench. The kerevi selection is a the biggest gamble imo. I would have gone TK. Ireland will undoubtedly target him but to be fair he's definitely been working hard on improving his defence this year. whether he's improved enough im not so sure we'll find out pretty quickly.

Ireland look a settled side so I think they'll control the game. But there's enough talent in the side to steal a close win if we're lucky. The backline is pretty lethal and if pocock plays well he could get a few well timed penalties when we are on the back foot.

I'm going to the game and I've bought tickets for 6 of my mates to join me so im pumped. looks to be a near sell out! game on!
Or at least gone a 5-3 split, left Tui out (not sure where he fits in anyway, given Samu's presence on the bench) and had TK there if that back-line ends up being the sieve we suspect.

But, at least this way there is no doubt in Kerevi's mind that Cheika is backing him 100%. Maybe it's a psychological move.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
yeah, Kerevi and Beale defending in the midfield.....
Maybe Kerevi will up his D with more experienced backs like Foley and Folau yelling at him. Lots of inexperienced young backs at the Reds who are probably more focused on doing their own jobs. An excellent example of a back providing defensive leadership is Byron Kelleher of New Zealand. Wouldn't want defensive issues to cause Kerevi's career to meander down the brambled path of disrepair in the manner of, say, a player like Isaia Toeava of De La Salle High School in Auckland, NZ.
ps foriii is the latin plural of forus which of course derives from the greek word "foyer". Happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.