• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Ireland, Sat 9th June @ 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
otherwise Latu's selection is curious but with no Rangi in the squad he was the only available option (IIRC).

It's entirely down to the fact he doesn't want to play two debutantes at hooker. Drafting Rangi into the squad would have left him with three debutantes to pick from.

I also don't think Rangi has been that great this season. I certainly don't think he has a big Wallaby future ahead of him. He's 29 and if anything I think will move down the pecking order in the future, not up it.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It's entirely down to the fact he doesn't want to play two debutantes at hooker. Drafting Rangi into the squad would have left him with three debutantes to pick from.

I also don't think Rangi has been that great this season. I certainly don't think he has a big Wallaby future ahead of him. He's 29 and if anything I think will move down the pecking order in the future, not up it.

Yeah, like I've said else where it concerns me that Cheika is picking two guys who haven't played much Super Rugby, but specifically hasn't shown that ability to dominate at test level like Tui showed glimpses of last year. I would have liked to see some guys be rewarded for form.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ireland named:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Joey Carbery
9. Conor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
2. Rob Herring
3. John Ryan
4. Iain Henderson
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O’Mahony (captain)
7. Jordi Murphy
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:
16. Sean Cronin
17. Cian Healy
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Quinn Roux
20. Jack Conan
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Johnny Sexton
23. Jordan Larmour

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I expect this joint to be in tears next week and changes for the following tests
Maybe. But I’m struggling to think of a better tight 5 and bench of tight forwards we’ve had for a long time. That’s enough to make me pretty excited for the game.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes and the irish will be licking their lips at the prospect of targeting the channel so I suspect Cheika has a plan for that which obviously isn't going to be the barn dance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, like I've said else where it concerns me that Cheika is picking two guys who haven't played much Super Rugby, but specifically hasn't shown that ability to dominate at test level like Tui showed glimpses of last year. I would have liked to see some guys be rewarded for form.

There are two uncapped hookers in the squad already. You're complaining that there aren't three and Cheika should somehow be forced to add Rangi to his squad and field two debutantes because of fairness or something?!?

Tui had a very good stint off the bench against the All Blacks last year but I don't remember his other cameos being anything special.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Maybe. But I’m struggling to think of a better tight 5 and bench of tight forwards we’ve had for a long time. That’s enough to make me pretty excited for the game.

Short turnaround and a really good Irish side, if TPN was about I would be happier with the tight 5

Latu on the bench highlights the issue

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ireland named:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Joey Carbery
9. Conor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
2. Rob Herring
3. John Ryan
4. Iain Henderson
5. James Ryan
6. Peter O’Mahony (captain)
7. Jordi Murphy
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:
16. Sean Cronin
17. Cian Healy
18. Tadhg Furlong
19. Quinn Roux
20. Jack Conan
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Johnny Sexton
23. Jordan Larmour

A second string Team smart selection
Most people here wouldn't be familiar with the structure of European club season and how many additional games over super rugby, if he went first choice with fatigued players and loose you have to go again with them further fatigued 2nd test
You win this and you are in a strong position for the series you loose you have freshers up front liners coming back in
If you went first choice and lost you are looking at those guys going to the well test for 2 & 3
Australia will win this test by 15 points
You blood a new 10 for the rwc and target 2 & 3 for the series
But you have handed momentum to an oz team that thrive on momentum

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Short turnaround and a really good Irish side, if TPN was about I would be happier with the tight 5

Latu on the bench highlights the issue
Yeah - fair call. Although to be honest Cheika was between a rock and a hard place with hooker.

Like some mug poster said yesterday - you’d be very brave to go in with two rookie hookers.

Overall though I feel our tight 5 stocks are the best they’ve been in possibly 15 years.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah - fair call. Although to be honest Cheika was between a rock and a hard place with hooker.

Like some mug poster said yesterday - you’d be very brave to go in with two rookie hookers.

Overall though I feel our tight 5 stocks are the best they’ve been in possibly 15 years.

Is it that much worse than going in with a no form 4 cap veteran?
I'm sorry but to think 4 caps are anything significant is a bit silly, he's had 1 start, played a grand total of 81 minuets. I get the concern around having both hookers being uncapped, but if that is Cheika's concern he really should have addressed that last year, instead he played both Moore and TPN.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
but if that is Cheika's concern he really should have addressed that last year, instead he played both Moore and TPN.

There was the other guy selected who would have started this test but he did his ACL last weekend.

4 caps are not significant but it's 4 more caps than a debutant and a fair bit of time spent in Wallaby training environments and some more familiarity with the players and systems.

The alternative is two guys who have never set foot in a Wallaby camp before having to be up to speed with everything within a couple of training sessions to play a big test match on Saturday.

You seem to be suggesting that Cheika should be forced to make a selection decision he doesn't want to make just because you don't like him adding someone to his squad that hasn't played much this season.

The way this goes he has Latu coming off the bench with Simmons as the reserve lineout caller who calls at his Super Rugby team so at least there is some familiarity there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I have to admit i agree regarding Moore being played last year.

But equally, you have no similar issues with Tui? Latu is our best optiion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is it that much worse than going in with a no form 4 cap veteran?
I'm sorry but to think 4 caps are anything significant is a bit silly, he's had 1 start, played a grand total of 81 minuets. I get the concern around having both hookers being uncapped, but if that is Cheika's concern he really should have addressed that last year, instead he played both Moore and TPN.
He also has more super rugby caps and is older and, hopefully, more mature. And he will come into the field the same time as Tupou is a rookie too.

Yes - Cheika should’ve done things differently last year, but he didn’t and this is where we are. I wouldn’t have minded if he rolled the dice with Faianga’a but I think Latu was the safer strategy.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I have to admit i agree regarding Moore being played last year.

But equally, you have no similar issues with Tui? Latu is our best optiion.

I do have the same issues with the Tui, except his potential is quite apparent he's a very young player with lots of development.

and @TSR, you mean older like Rangi... I agree I would have preferred to see Faianga'a or Roach. It's just crazy that we are brining in a guy who is in such questionable form (and again Tui is no different).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I do have the same issues with the Tui, except his potential is quite apparent he's a very young player with lots of development.

and @TSR, you mean older like Rangi. I agree I would have preferred to see Faianga'a or Roach. It's just crazy that we are brining in a guy who is in such questionable form (and again Tui is no different).
Da fuq? When you post stuff like this it just confirms my theory that you don't actually think about what you post, or are kind of trolling every time you post.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
and @TSR, you mean older like Rangi. I agree I would have preferred to see Faianga'a or Roach. It's just crazy that we are brining in a guy who is in such questionable form (and again Tui is no different).

Latu has far more Super Rugby experience than Rangi or Fainga'a.

Latu's form has resulted in him replacing Roach on the Tahs bench. Selecting Roach for the Wallabies would make zero sense.

If he wanted to pick a guy who is very experienced he could have picked Fitzpatrick but he is a bit of a lightweight and could get munched in the scrums.

I think Latu is easily the safest option Cheika had to go with.

I think Latu's form has been good since coming back into the Tahs 23. His recent form is what counts. It doesn't help the Wallabies if someone was in good form in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.