• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Italy, Suncorp Stadium, 24th June 2017 @ 3:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You'd think that the 'powers that be' might be keeping a finger on the pulse of this. But hey, that's probably too much to expect.

In the mean time, if you are serious, I know you are not, it would be perfectly cognitavely reasonable to think that we can find a domestic coach grouping, on a one-off that could give a boost. On a one off basis.

Or we could bring in a decent strategist. I can think of a couple, but what is Chook Fowler up to at the moment?

Cheika, Larkham, and Grey - SHOULD be under stress. Long term. And right now, in the run up to every single test. Every single fucking test.

This is as good a place for that as any.

It looks like they should start with fitness coaches at Super Rugby level. One at each franchise responsible for making sure all of the players, particularly the Wallabies, are in tip top shape at all times.

It is a much more plausible explanation that our core skills go missing when we are fatigued rather than the core skills not being there at all and that we are getting fatigued much earlier than our opposition.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It looks like they should start with fitness coaches at Super Rugby level. One at each franchise responsible for making sure all of the players, particularly the Wallabies, are in tip top shape at all times.

It is a much more plausible explanation that our core skills go missing when we are fatigued rather than the core skills not being there at all and that we are getting fatigued much earlier than our opposition.

Hey Joe. There are S&C staff in the coaching teams at every franchise. Rather than these coaching summits they could hold an S&C workshop. Often the teams are impacted by what seems unnecessarily high injury rates.

Fitness wont however answer the baffling game strategies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It is an interesting conundrum, the Kiwis have buy in from all the provinces and the play and train essentially the same way.

We have this drive for "independence" of the provinces, different styles being played, different scrummaging approaches, fitness etc etc

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hey Joe. There are S&C staff in the coaching teams at every franchise. Rather than these coaching summits they could hold an S&C workshop. Often the teams are impacted by what seems unnecessarily high injury rates.

Fitness wont however answer the baffling game strategies.

No, but it will mean that we play at a higher speed for longer and more effectively. All sides are impacted by injury and a good level of fitness helps in that regard as well.
Why does Cheika have to flog them to try and bring them up to a decent level of fitness every time they get together?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is an interesting conundrum, the Kiwis have buy in from all the provinces and the play and train essentially the same way.

We have this drive for "independence" of the provinces, different styles being played, different scrummaging approaches, fitness etc etc

Cheika has certainly been trying to bring the Australian teams closer together in terms of having Wallaby coaching staff (aside from Grey and Larkham) attend each team during the year and then bringing the coaches together.

Hopefully that increases next year once none of the Wallaby coaches are involved with a Super Rugby team.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cheika has certainly been trying to bring the Australian teams closer together in terms of having Wallaby coaching staff (aside from Grey and Larkham) attend each team during the year and then bringing the coaches together.

Hopefully that increases next year once none of the Wallaby coaches are involved with a Super Rugby team.

Except for Larkham apparently keeping his office in Canberra and being a "de facto" assistant coach there next year, or so it has been reported. Which would make all the talk of having the sole focus of all Wallaby coaches in one place a bit of a joke. I'm not sure this bit of info has been 100% verified though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hey we can't even get agreement here on how the Wobs should be playing, let alone the Super rugby teams with actual skin in the game.

Do we want to play a ball in hand up tempo game?
Do we want to play a more structured set piece focus?
Do we attack the breakdown or do we fan out committing few?
Do we defend like the Stormers or with a fast line speed?

Because they ain't easily interchangeable

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Maybe we should focus on figuring out how we actually can play.....

For example, we clearly lack the set-piece ability to play a set piece oriented game. Shit we can't score from a rolling maul and that's basically cheat-mode for every other rugby team.

Probably not fit enough to play either a hard push defense, or a high tempo ball in hand game.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
No, but it will mean that we play at a higher speed for longer and more effectively. All sides are impacted by injury and a good level of fitness helps in that regard as well.
Why does Cheika have to flog them to try and bring them up to a decent level of fitness every time they get together?

In a recent post, I suggested that our players might be "unfit".
A couple of days ago I was speaking to a knowledgeable Wallabies supporter who suggested that Chiekia was, (as Joe Blows says), flogging them during the week, thereby leaving them deficient on match-day.
Does that mean that when our players don the gold jerseys, they are unfit AND tired?!!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well, how we play is solely up to one bloke, Michael Cheika.

To date the overall results of HIS (and our) team has been shithouse and less than acceptable to the Australian rugby public. Some posters still are in denial re Chek as they are firmly in that corner for reasons only known to themselves.

Chek picks the team, Chek determines the game plan, Chek deserves either the accolades or the criticisms upon the success or failures.

Success of beating minnows mean nothing (and fucking one of those beat us last weekend). Wins against the Saffas, AB's and England are the real measure of success. Others on here may be happy with our national team wallowing as a second tier side but I am not. I hate samd in my ears BH

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
As previously stated, I do like having a couple of selectors that are removed from the running of the side. It just makes a lot of sense to have some input from outside of the group but that of course is within line with what the coach is trying to achieve.
Fresh ideas and direction from within is also good. If it is not forthcoming then maybe changes need to be made from time to time to keep the systems current.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As previously stated, I do like having a couple of selectors that are removed from the running of the side. It just makes a lot of sense to have some input from outside of the group but that of course is within line with what the coach is trying to achieve.
Fresh ideas and direction from within is also good. If it is not forthcoming then maybe changes need to be made from time to time to keep the systems current.

I agree for the squad as a whole, but does it help or hinder for the matchday 23 unless those selectors are also attending every training session?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Which changes do you think he should make to the team and the game plan for this weekend?

Scrubber might or might not respond, but really the changes are not just about this weekend. There has been a pattern at least since the RWC and probably beforehand of very worrying selections and non-selections by Cheika. His propensity to play two No 7s leading to a fairly undersized pack in most games, the continual selection of players with little aggression or impact, the refusal to change an under-performing defensive structure, the selection poor defensive players and shuffling them around to try to hide them - all are ongoing issues that most posters here have been raising for more than the last year or so. It is just trying to minimise the issues to ask, or suggest, they can be fixed between last week's test and this week's. They are long term issues that should have been addressed by Cheika a long time ago.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm ganna take a stab at the team based on pics and reports.

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Alphabet
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Timani

9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Naivalu
12. Horne
13. Tevita
14. Hodge
15. Folau

God I hope I'm wrong

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Scrubber might or might not respond, but really the changes are not just about this weekend. There has been a pattern at least since the RWC and probably beforehand of very worrying selections and non-selections by Cheika. His propensity to play two No 7s leading to a fairly undersized pack in most games, the continual selection of players with little aggression or impact, the refusal to change an under-performing defensive structure, the selection poor defensive players and shuffling them around to try to hide them - all are ongoing issues that most posters here have been raising for more than the last year or so. It is just trying to minimise the issues to ask, or suggest, they can be fixed between last week's test and this week's. They are long term issues that should have been addressed by Cheika a long time ago.

Hence why I have been suggesting that the better place for those discussions is in a thread that has a lifespan of greater than two weeks.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm ganna take a stab at the team based on pics and reports.

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Alphabet
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Timani

9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Naivalu
12. Horne
13. Tevita
14. Hodge
15. Folau

God I hope I'm wrong

Forward pack is alright tho. Taaf has really failed to grab hold of the starting position sadly. Be good to at least see Timani get on the field.

Horne at 12 would not be ideal though. Is Hunt injured? Wouldn't even have Hodge on the bench either.

Status
Not open for further replies.