• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Think McKenzie is looking for impact from the bench. Similar reason to why Skelton is picked over Horwill but to a less degree. McCalman is one of those players you know exactly what you are going to get, no more and no less. Higgers probably would be better at a short stint off the bench if he keeps his decision making, or lack their of, in order.

the fact that they named both on the extended bench rather than just Higginbotham outright implies to me that McCalman was unsound at the time..

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Nothing wrong with that All Blacks bench, it's quality. Barrett and Fekitoa could be dangerous late in the game. However, I'm not so sure it's better than our bench. We have some real impact players coming off the bench. The likes of Phipps and Foley are in white hot form and should be sharper than their opposite numbers. Gone are the days when we were really exposed late in the game due to poor depth.

If I can say one thing about the All Blacks side its that McCaw and Mealuma aren't the dominant players they once were. Still very good players no doubt, but not the world beaters they once were. Hooper is in career best form and I think he'll have the wood on McCaw. McCaw is still very proficient at the breakdown (if not dominant) but just doesn't have the running game he once did. I have no doubt he'll lift for the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday, but physically he's not quite as fast or as physical as he once was. I think either Moore or TPN would have outplayed Dan Cole so its a shame neither is available.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
the fact that they named both on the extended bench rather than just Higginbotham outright implies to me that McCalman was unsound at the time..

Apparently there is no injury issue with McCalman. Higgers has been preferred.

Hopefully Higginbotham's form is better than it has been this season. Based on what we've seen up until now I'd prefer McCalman every time. Far more impact both in defence and running the ball.

We're going to need plenty out of Higginbotham when he gets on. Presumably it will be for Palu somewhere between the 50 and 65 minute mark if everything goes to plan.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

I suppose its just speculation but if McCalman is Link's first choice subject to fitness, why name Higgers? Ordinarily the coach would name his team and just make the change at the last minute. There's no benefit to making it known that a player in the 23 is potentially carrying an injury.

Who knows, McKenzie might be considering a 6/2 split with Kuridrani or Foley dropping out. Given the amount of versatility in our backline, it's not out of the question.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
We're going to need plenty out of Higginbotham when he gets on. Presumably it will be for Palu somewhere between the 50 and 65 minute mark if everything goes to plan.

and hopefully not a brain snap penalty against us in front of the sticks when we are 2 points up with a minute to go..wouldn't the Crusaders players love that!
I like Higgers style of play, but McCalman has been great this season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I suppose its just speculation but if McCalman is Link's first choice subject to fitness, why name Higgers? Ordinarily the coach would name his team and just make the change at the last minute. There's no benefit to making it known that a player in the 23 is potentially carrying an injury.

Who knows, McKenzie might be considering a 6/2 split with Kuridrani or Foley dropping out. Given the amount of versatility in our backline, it's not out of the question.

It rained a fair bit in Sydney at the start of the week and there was more forecast but it's looking quite good now.

Maybe there was some thinking that if we got really heavy rain for a couple of days, Link would go with a 6:2 split.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
McCalman is a better Test player. Higgers doesn't deserve that spot after a back end to the season involving him being a fucking walking brain fart.

He can be a good player, if he doesn't over think it.

They have both been average at Test level, But I agree McCalman has shown loads more this season at super rugby.

Although McKenzie has a knack at getting the best out of his players, and if he can do that with Higgers a player he know well from the Reds then potentially Higgers could be a great Test player (potentially offers more then McCalman).

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The reality is that having higgers makes it easier for link to use Skelton without sacrificing the lineout. Swap Skelton and higgers for palu and either carter or Simmons and the line out is still about the same strength, stronger if it's carter who comes off. Without higgers in the side there's also no experienced backup lineout caller if Simmons is hurt.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The reality is that having higgers makes it easier for link to use Skelton without sacrificing the lineout. Swap Skelton and higgers for palu and either carter or Simmons and the line out is still about the same strength, stronger if it's carter who comes off. Without higgers in the side there's also no experienced backup lineout caller if Simmons is hurt.

This is an excellent point.

T

Train Without a Station

It is but remember, both Higgers and Skelton play quite loose (rarely inside the flyhalf) where as McCalman and Carter generally play a lot tighter.

Whilst the line out might improve, especially with Palu off who plays across the park where required well (generally tight but adding some better loose play in recently), we may lack anybody doing the work in tight when necessary.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It is but remember, both Higgers and Skelton play quite loose (rarely inside the flyhalf) where as McCalman and Carter generally play a lot tighter.

Whilst the line out might improve, especially with Palu off who plays across the park where required well (generally tight but adding some better loose play in recently), we may lack anybody doing the work in tight when necessary.

Potentially, but it should be easier to get skelton /higgers doing the work in tight where necessary then to turn McCalman into a top class lineout operator by Saturday. At least in theory...

T

Train Without a Station

It's not that players like Higginbotham just refuse to do anything but run out on the wing. Generally they play there because that's where they are most effective. You look at Higgers this year where he has tried to play a lot tighter and he's been a real disappointment.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's not that players like Higginbotham just refuse to do anything but run out on the wing. Generally they play there because that's where they are most effective. You look at Higgers this year where he has tried to play a lot tighter and he's been a real disappointment.

But the previous year before injury he was quite successful.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah its a fair point and it'll mean Link will need to manage the sub's well to keep the balance where it needs to be for the game. The other side of the coin of course is that Skelton and higgers can really blow a game open, coming on and running a bit wider against tiring defenders, particularly with their offload and distribution being so good.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Apparently there is no injury issue with McCalman. Higgers has been preferred.

Hopefully Higginbotham's form is better than it has been this season. Based on what we've seen up until now I'd prefer McCalman every time. Far more impact both in defence and running the ball.

At his best, Higgers is a lot better player than Ben McCalman. But his form in Super rugby this year hasn't been his best. Can only surmise he has been performing better at training to encourage Link to bring him in. If he can play anywhere near his best, that will be good enough.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
With only just over two days to go, I think most of us know the Wallabies have the physical and technical ability to win the match. We can only hope they have the mental (read emotional) ability to do so on the night.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's a bloody formidable AB team. Bags of experience and footy nous in that line up. Still, we can't go out there not thinking we can win, because I believe we can. I do wonder though what Hansen's plan B is or the longer term strategy. A lot of those blokes aren't getting any younger and while they're playing bloody well, I don't think they're going to get better than they are now. The Wallabies on the other hand are, IMHO, only going to improve. It'll be interesting to see where that crossover point happens, because happen it will just like every other sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.