• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Comparing Hooper to Pocock on form is a futile exercise. From a purely head fucking point of view though, Pocock is miles in front.
I reckon if you gave the AB's and Saffas the option to remove one name from the Wallabies team sheet and Pocock's would be first picked every day of the week and twice on game day.
As great a player as Hooper is (and that's pretty fantastic) I don't think he'll ever command the same respect from the oppo as Pocock did and hopefully will again.
Rubbish comment, not to say at best Pocock wasnt very very good but you should have stuck with your first line "futile exercise comparing'. Hooper has been laying guys out in defence for the last two years. I believe he easily commands and deserves the respect of pocock.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
KB (Kurtley Beale) is the most like for like replacement for Quade cooper, I think that his form has more then marginally improved in the later rounds of super rugby. It also pleases me from a indication on how we are going to play as he with Izzy are our best counter attack options in the country. Bravo link.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Rubbish comment, not to say at best Pocock wasnt very very good but you should have stuck with your first line "futile exercise comparing'. Hooper has been laying guys out in defence for the last two years. I believe he easily commands and deserves the respect of pocock.

Not at Test level. At Super Rugby he has been great but Pocock was starting to be touted as the best 7 in the game by even Bok and AB fans - he was that good. And that was 3 years ago when Richie was probably going a step better than he is right now. A small step. A very small step. LOL

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Not at Test level. The difference is Hooper smashes Habana but Pocock smashes Schaulk Burger and that's a big difference IMO.

Hooper still needs to be more physical and aggressive at Test level - which he has been this season at super level so hopefully he can transfer that against the AB's. But until then, don't expect the likes of the AB's or Boks to fear Hooper the way they fear Pocock.

agree with @Bullrush.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pocock is still being discussed here? Amazing. He basically doesn't even play anymore.

It's nerves. There is a big game on this Saturday, ... .... .... .... .... .... and after the Shute Shield Grand Final, there will be a game out at Homebush as well.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
More pointing to futile and a waste of time comparing the two. Im backing Hooper for a big series, being our best for a few seasons isnt obviously enough for some, but maybe winning a bledisoe might earn him some respect

T

Tip

Hooper to play out of his skin, as he has all fucking season. The guy is a machine, I truly think it's comical the amount of bullshit flying here that "pocock is clearly superior, Hooper doesn't scare anyone!". Pocock is injured, and his place has been taken by a different, but just as, if not more, brilliant and effective open side that has proven time and time again that he is one of the best players in international rugby at the moment.

I hate to flog a dead horse, but has Hooper been nominated for IRB player of the year?
Was Hooper the first choice Wallaby captain?

Whilst Hooper is a brilliant and effective PLAYER, he is a 6 masquerading as a 7. Hooper doesn't shift bodies at the breakdown, he isn't a breakdown pest and he doesn't have the strength over the ball at the ruck that Pocock has. All of the Core duties of a 7.

Hooper is a better ball runner(Core duty of a 6)

Just sayin', Hooper is far from perfect, and until he seagulls less and moves bodies and COMPETES more at the breakdown more (you know, what a 7 is meant to do) - the "bullshit" of "Pocock is clearly superior" will continue.
And rightly so.

P.S. If anyone replies to this post and says "it's all about balance, Fardy provides the fetching " - go uppercut yourself. A 6 should always be capable of pestering the breakdown. It does not mean the 7 can ignore his core duties.

P.P.S. I agree @Lewisr; Hooper will play out of his skin tomorrow night.

T

Train Without a Station

Tip you're off your head if you think a 6's job is to run in the wider channels and a 7's is to run in the tighter channels. Why do you reckon the bloke is the smallest forward in the pack?

You don't employ a 7 to outmuscle the bigger players, if you did they wouldn't all be the size of a centre. You employ them to beat the bigger players to the breakdown, be more mobile and therefore do it more frequently.

A 7 shouldn't be fucking around wasting their time in tight congested breakdowns. That's where tight forwards are supposed to be working funnily enough - in the tight.

I'd go as for as to argue that any 7 working inside the 10's shoulder in general play is bludging and being ineffective. He should be working his ass off covering the ground outside there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hate to flog a dead horse, but has Hooper been nominated for IRB player of the year?
Was Hooper the first choice Wallaby captain?

Whilst Hooper is a brilliant and effective PLAYER, he is a 6 masquerading as a 7. Hooper doesn't shift bodies at the breakdown, he isn't a breakdown pest and he doesn't have the strength over the ball at the ruck that Pocock has. All of the Core duties of a 7.

Hooper is a better ball runner in the wider channels. Core duties of a 6.

Just sayin', Hooper is far from perfect, and until he seagulls less and moves bodies and COMPETES more at the breakdown more (you know, what a 7 is meant to do) - the "bullshit" of "Pocock is clearly superior" will continue.
And rightly so.

Pocock wasn't first choice Wallaby captain either.

Hooper did top the pilfer/forced penalty count in test rugby last year.

This is becoming such a silly discussion.

Pocock was rightly nominated for the IRB player of the year in 2010 and 2011. It's probably worth noting that the IRB have reduced the number of nominated players by 2 and 1 in 2012 and 2013 compared to when Pocock was nominated.

If the Wallabies are to get close to winning the Bledisloe and/or Rugby Championship this year, we probably need Hooper to be one of the nominations at the end of 2014.

M

Moono75

My tip is Pocock will have fuck all impact on the outcome of the 2014 Rugby Championship. Hooper on the other hand will. Lets focus on the here and now. Next thing we will start debating the merits of which Wallabies to bring back if and when genetic cloning becomes the norm in the future o_O

.....actually can I start a new thread 'Which Australian Rugby Players Deserve Reincarnation In Vitro Experimentation'......ain't gonna happen.....so back to whats really going to have an effect on the outcome of this Saturday's game........GREEN & GOLD BLOODY DEVIL DOGS ripping into those AB's!

Go you Wallabies!

T

Tip

Tip you're off your head if you think a 6's job is to run in the wider channels and a 7's is to run in the tighter channels. Why do you reckon the bloke is the smallest forward in the pack?

You don't employ a 7 to outmuscle the bigger players, if you did they wouldn't all be the size of a centre. You employ them to beat the bigger players to the breakdown, be more mobile and therefore do it more frequently.

A 7 shouldn't be fucking around wasting their time in tight congested breakdowns. That's where tight forwards are supposed to be working funnily enough - in the tight.

I'd go as for as to argue that any 7 working inside the 10's shoulder in general play is bludging and being ineffective. He should be working his ass off covering the ground outside there.

Sorry, I should have stipulated. Hooper is a better ball runner in the wider channels, Pocock is a better ball runner in the around the ruck. What I meant was a 6's core duty is to be an effective ball runner.

Re: 7's working inside the 10's shoulder. Pocock was more often than not involved in the ruck. So he starts inside the 10. Is he ineffective? No.

Furthermore, saying a 7 shouldn't be wasting their time in tight congested breakdowns... I can't agree with you there. Pocock regularly injected himself into breakdowns that he had no chance of winning. He wanted to slow down the oppositions ball, which he did to aplomb. Hooper doesn't do this. Gill does! Which probably goes some way into deciphering why people vouch(/ed) for Gill over Hooper.

T

Tip

Fuck me thats a hedging of bets if Ive ever seen one.

Bag a bloke for four paragraphs and then throw in a line about him playing well to cover yourself. have the courage to stick by your word

It wasn't bagging, I was comparing Pocock to Hooper. I did say he was a brilliant and effective player didn't I?

I can dislike the way a player plays the game, but I can also think that Hooper will play well can't I.

I think Hooper will make a line break or two, make his tackles and secure lots of ball - he will play well.

However, he won't put outrageous amounts of pressure on the All Blacks ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.