• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not going to start bashing the guy and this will be my last word on the subject but have a look at his performances against them.
They have his measure- others may not.
View attachment 5204

The results are the same for every Wallaby through that period though.

If you look at the game where he played 10 against the All Blacks and we got a draw, it probably reflects well on him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
But which Wallaby in recent years has a better record against the ABs?? And how does 1 player "suffer" from that statistic in a team that have a shocking record?
I am not overly confident in Beale at 10, but I am missing the point of that graphic, I think.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm not sure those stats would be markedly different for any player in that period..they aren't great stats, but the Wallabies overall aren't that flash in that period..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
But which Wallaby in recent years has a better record against the ABs?? And how does 1 player "suffer" from that statistic in a team that have a shocking record?
I am not overly confident in Beale at 10, but I am missing the point of that graphic, I think.

The real point is that he has no more recent experience at 10 against them than Foley - so that's no justification for picking over the incumbent. Defensively I recall the number Jayne or Dagg did on him at ANZ. Its a gamble when Im not sure we needed to gamble.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fingers crossed there is no crabbing from Beale. Also the pressure of being the chief play-maker is what really scares me.

Hope I can be proved wrong.

He's taken the ball to the line well this season. Hopefully he goes well on Saturday night.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes kicking duties seems to be an issue now too. White hopefully to step-up.
Also, looking at our wingers - whilst strong ball carriers and defenders aren't exactly the greatest finishers. Usually you'd bet all the wingers to be first try scorers but I'd put my money on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Falou, Beale before them. Not that we have any other options, but its a concern.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's a little simplistic surely. The same goes for anyone else who's played for the wallabies for the last 12 years

See my earlier post.
The stats don't tell the tale they just show he hasn't been there as much as we might imagine.
I hope my misgivings turn out to be misplaced.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
See my earlier post.
The stats don't tell the tale they just show he hasn't been there as much as we might imagine.
I hope my misgivings turn out to be misplaced.
I see where you're coming from, but form has to count for something and he caused the Crusaders a lot of problems in the Super Rugby Final.

T

Train Without a Station

IS it's a fair point to debunk claims that starting with Beale "will worry the All Blacks".

I'm quite open to the possibility that he may well be good enough to be integral in us beating them too though.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Someone (Gibson?, Grey?) seems to've cut the crabbing out of Kurtley's play this year, he's been playing very straight and looking to put others away rather than whizzing around like a loose balloon trying to find space himself. The other salient feature of the 2014 Beale is the combination he's formed with Folau. Let's hope we see some of this on Saturday.

If this selection doesn't work there's always Foley on the bench. Delighted to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) wearing 13, this year he's certainly earned the right to play in his best position.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aside from Beale at flyhalf, the other significant change is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) coming back into his preferred position at 13, and looking at our current wingers I think it's still very likely that Speight will be rushed into a starting spot upon eligibility...........

It would've been an easier decision to have continued playing Kuridrani at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing.........

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ahhh this is the first decision of Ewen's that I don't agree with. Kurtley at ten would be fine if our incumbent wasn't performing - but Foley is in fine form. Feel sorry for the guy. Though I think he has made the right decision with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Status
Not open for further replies.