• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v New Zealand - Sydney 16 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
What worries me more is the selections Link had little control over - in the forwards, thats where the game will be won or lost and to be honest they dont exactly fill me with confidence.

Exactly. I like the look of our backrow, however it is in the tight five, specifically the front row that where I am a bit worried. Nathan Charles is certainly stepping into a baptism of fire, and I hope the occasion (and ABs) don't get the better of him.

Where the ABs might run away with it is when our reserve piggies start coming on. Front row stocks are pretty thin on the ground at the moment.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is anyone else confused as to why Higginbotham got a bench position ahead of McCalman?

someone about 10 pages ago made the very good point that Higginbotham works much better with Skelton as far as lineouts go..presumably it is link's intention to have them both on at the same time..

tekay

Peter Burge (5)
Its hardly "indefensible", its the coaches role surely, to pick the team he thinks has the best chance on the day, for the team they are playing. I wouldnt be so presumtious as to sit on my lounge on my laptop and assume I know better than the coach of our national team.

You can of course argue you dont like the selection, or admit you dont understand the reasoning, but to call it indefensible is just silly. Especially given the amount of time that Beale has played at 10 for the Tahs this season (even if wearing 12).

We should be thankful we have the depth in our backs to have the luxury of Foley or Beale on the bench - and the options that gives us deep in the game to bring either on as an impact.

What worries me more is the selections Link had little control over - in the forwards, thats where the game will be won or lost and to be honest they dont exactly fill me with confidence.

Well anyone can try and defend a decision - but I'm not buying any of the reasons offered up as why he made this one.

I agree totally with the forwards comment – all the more reason to have the right people in the right positions in the backs to make use of hard won ball.

I really like the way Beale plays, and at No. 12 he's good. He's not as natural as either Foley or To'omua at 10 (and let's hope like hell he doesn't attempt any low percentage chip kick bullshit tonight).

I stick by what I was saying before – simply pick the best at the position at the current time. Don't over think it.

Of course, all this is just my 'not always' humble opinion. Oh and just because I criticise the the coach's decisions and would prefer Cheika or Larkham as coach doesn't mean I'm bashing queenslanders. I need far lesser reasons than that (joke).

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Higgin has got a real determination about the way he plays - he would have been first choice 6 last year without injury and Fardy got his chance...

I rate Higgin a lot and think he brings a dimension to the game more than just crash baller, medium sized, loosey that mccalman really is - granted he had a great season but I think Link is onto it here...

starkz

Frank Nicholson (4)
someone about 10 pages ago made the very good point that Higginbotham works much better with Skelton as far as lineouts go..presumably it is link's intention to have them both on at the same time..

Ahh OK. I'll look out for Higginbotham in the lineouts when he comes on.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well anyone can try and defend a decision - but I'm not buying any of the reasons offered up as why he made this one.

I agree totally with the forwards comment – all the more reason to have the right people in the right positions in the backs to make use of hard won ball.

I really like the way Beale plays, and at No. 12 he's good. He's not as natural as either Foley or To'omua at 10 (and let's hope like hell he doesn't attempt any low percentage chip kick bullshit tonight).

I stick by what I was saying before – simply pick the best at the position at the current time. Don't over think it.

Of course, all this is just my 'not always' humble opinion. Oh and just because I criticise the the coach's decisions and would prefer Cheika or Larkham as coach doesn't mean I'm bashing queenslanders. I need far lesser reasons than that (joke).

Links, Larkham and Cheika all play 2 play makers and not a 10 and 12.

To'omua is a great defender a cool head and plays everything hard, that allows you to play a more attacking creative 10/12 and the best at the moment is Beale with Cooper out. Foley and To'omua while both great 10s probably don't have the attacking creativity as Beale and Cooper or dare I say Leo.

Picking a combination together they probably balance better.. Just like at the Tahs Foley balances Beale.

tekay

Peter Burge (5)
Links, Larkham and Cheika all play 2 play makers and not a 10 and 12.

To'omua is a great defender a cool head and plays everything hard, that allows you to play a more attacking creative 10/12 and the best at the moment is Beale with Cooper out. Foley and To'omua while both great 10s probably don't have the attacking creativity as Beale and Cooper or dare I say Leo.

Picking a combination together they probably balance better.. Just like at the Tahs Foley balances Beale.

I don't agree at all. Both Beale and Cooper too often try tricky low percentage stuff and waste ball, particularly Cooper who to be honest I'm glad is out (not withstanding injury).

Foley and To'omua have better vision and with the 'cool head' factor you mention - I think To'omua is the best 10 we have in this country at present.

Pick your best 10 (and Beale is not currently our best 10) and then work out the best complementing players from there. In my opinion.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't agree at all. Both Beale and Cooper too often try tricky low percentage stuff and waste ball, particularly Cooper who to be honest I'm glad is out (not withstanding injury).

Foley and To'omua have better vision and with the 'cool head' factor you mention - I think To'omua is the best 10 we have in this country at present.

Pick your best 10 (and Beale is not currently our best 10) and then work out the best complementing players from there. In my opinion.
I'll agree but then pick your best 12 which will be Beale ATM. Earlier I'm the season I'd have said McCabe but recent form it's Beale.. Back to my point the 10 and 12 in these teams interchange as 2 playmakers.

M

Moono75

Time to let the Green and Gold Devil Dogs loose. Good hunting boys. Go Wallabies!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You start to lose credibility when you use the Comms as expert witnesses. Most of them use terms like "double-movement", "downward pressure" and so on, and show pretty poor knowledge of the laws. Of course, there are occasional exceptions.

So the NZ ref in charge of the Lions/Waikato game today is not an expert. Ruled a double movement to deny a try to a Lions prop (I think). Both TMO and ref, as well as the NZ commentary team, referred to a double movement. I know the laws don't make any mention, but it seems to be becoming an accepted term for a player not releasing and unlawfully advancing the ball over the tryline.

Status
Not open for further replies.