• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia Vs Argentina, September 13, Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
(via PumaBoot) Argentina starting XV confirmed:

1- Marcos Ayerza (51 caps – 5 points)
2- Agustín Creevy (capitán) (31 caps)
3- Ramiro Herrera (5 caps)
4- Mariano Galarza (21 caps)
5- Matías Alemanno (8 caps – 5 points)
6- Juan Manuel Leguizamón (58 caps – 50 points)
7- Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (59 caps – 25 points)
8- Leonardo Senatore (23 caps – 10 points)

9- Martín Landajo (34 caps – 10 points)
10- Nicolás Sánchez (24 caps – 183 points)
11- Manuel Montero ( 15 caps – 65 points)
12- Juan Martín Hernández (46 caps – 117 points)
13- Marcelo Bosch (28 caps – 40 points)
14- Juan Imhoff (21 caps – 60 points)
15- Joaquín Tuculet (14 caps – 25 points)

Replacements:

16- Matías Cortese (9 caps)
17- Bruno Postiglioni (14 caps – 5 points)
18- Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro (10 caps – 5 points)
19- Benjamin Macome (18 caps – 10 points)
20- Rodrigo Báez (12 caps – 10 points)
21- Tomás Cubelli (28 caps – 30 points)
22- Jerónimo De la Fuente (6 caps – 5 points)
23- Lucas González Amorosino (36 caps – 30 points)

Head Coach: Daniel Hourcade.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
(via PumaBoot) Argentina starting XV confirmed:

1- Marcos Ayerza (51 caps – 5 points)
2- Agustín Creevy (capitán) (31 caps)
3- Ramiro Herrera (5 caps)
4- Mariano Galarza (21 caps)
5- Matías Alemanno (8 caps – 5 points)
6- Juan Manuel Leguizamón (58 caps – 50 points)
7- Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (59 caps – 25 points)
8- Leonardo Senatore (23 caps – 10 points)

9- Martín Landajo (34 caps – 10 points)
10- Nicolás Sánchez (24 caps – 183 points)
11- Manuel Montero ( 15 caps – 65 points)
12- Juan Martín Hernández (46 caps – 117 points)
13- Marcelo Bosch (28 caps – 40 points)
14- Juan Imhoff (21 caps – 60 points)
15- Joaquín Tuculet (14 caps – 25 points)

Head Coach: Daniel Hourcade.

Two bonafide finishers with gas to burn on the wings.

I really hope there is no complacency in the Wallabies camp and they've been working on the set piece and kicking.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So been thinking about the second row a fair bit, and I wonder who would call the lineout if Simmons got injured ? Would you bring in Horwill or would it be Higgers, I guess who would have called it when Skelton was on the bench and not Horwill. Looking forward to next world cup we need to get some caps into some of the second rows, Carter, Jones, Skelton, Neville even... I'm hoping Horwill comes back into his best form and he gets a lock spot.. but kinda feel not taking him on the end of season tour so he can get a proper pre-season would be best for him.

Im hoping at some point we see a second row without Simmons in it so we know what to do if he is injured.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You do know that Sio was selected in the Wallaby squad as a THP? Not that I disagree with your premise, just I don't think successive wallaby coaches have agreed.

I think Sio was into the squad as a LHP - they were trying to change him into a THP but got injured

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We HAVE to come to play from the getgo. Smother the Agies and play with great intensity. Parity, at least at set piece and blow the buggers off the park out wide.

Wallabies to stay on track and win by 15

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
little if any rain forecast so a dry fast track expected..I think we'll struggle in the tight for the first 20 then we'll gain an ascendancy and run away with a la Salta last year

Wobs by 35

T

Train Without a Station

So been thinking about the second row a fair bit, and I wonder who would call the lineout if Simmons got injured ?

Whilst the effectiveness has been zero right now, it's not just about calling. It's a guy that can run a line out in the same way a 10 runs a backline and takes correct options, but also reads the opposition well to steal ball.

The players stealing ball at Super Rugby level are probably the ones to look at. Horwill is one, probably picked off more this season than Simmons. Higginbotham leads the Rebels line out at times but does he steal any ball? (can't remember either way).

The problem is it's not just a matter of "training somebody up". Players need to be focusing on this as part of their game. It's not going to get us what we need if for example, Caydern Neville works on it heavily in the Wallaby camp and then when they go back to the Rebels, Tony McGahan says, "nah Higgers is better we'll let him run it" and he then regresses back to being part of the furniture in the line out. We need to get these players mastering it at Super level in order to have an impact at test level. We've seen how much Simmons is struggling and he is one of our best at it.

The reason it's a problem is because these players need to quickly develop into their teams best option to have the opportunity to work heavily on it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Whilst the effectiveness has been zero right now, it's not just about calling. It's a guy that can run a line out in the same way a 10 runs a backline and takes correct options, but also reads the opposition well to steal ball.

o_O

So why is Simmons starting? From my hazy memory, Horwill leads the "steal" count with 1.

T

Train Without a Station

Because Link clearly is incorrect and doesn't share your correct view. If only the nincompoop would see reality and go with the best locking duo of Skelton and Chapman.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

The players stealing ball at Super Rugby level are probably the ones to look at. Horwill is one, probably picked off more this season than Simmons. Higginbotham leads the Rebels line out at times but does he steal any ball? (can't remember either way).

The problem is it's not just a matter of "training somebody up". Players need to be focusing on this as part of their game. It's not going to get us what we need if for example, Caydern Neville works on it heavily in the Wallaby camp and then when they go back to the Rebels, Tony McGahan says, "nah Higgers is better we'll let him run it" and he then regresses back to being part of the furniture in the line out. We need to get these players mastering it at Super level in order to have an impact at test level. We've seen how much Simmons is struggling and he is one of our best at it.

The reason it's a problem is because these players need to quickly develop into their teams best option to have the opportunity to work heavily on it.

I said run a lineout but meant what you did... Be interesting who does it at the Brumbies next year with no Mowen.. We could go from good to average quickly..

T

Train Without a Station

Or somebody could show their capability very well. Here's hoping it's a lock. It hasn't been good for the Wallabies that the line out leader in 3 teams is a loosie, a position with the most depth, and not a player who has been able to cement a starting position in our first choice team.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Qantas fly Wallaby players for free as part of the sponsorship deal.

you'd think so, well i mean I assumed as much, but it's six of one and half a dozen really. Fly em' free (at nominal normal rates, even tho it is cheaper for you) and less up front sponsorship money, charge them as you would anyone else yet pay more for the sponsorship.

They probably win doing it this was (if they 'charge' at the nominal rates) as they pocket the difference.

Anyway, not that I know fuck all of anything about any of that, what I AM curious about is these guys would have to fly at least business class wouldn't they???? It's bloody hard enough flying across oceans and be expected to then play games within a few days, surely you could not expect them to do after flying cattle?

If true, geez, ever enquired how much extra it costs to upgrade to business from the sardine brigade? Astronomical difference.

That's the national teams, which in the case of the wallabies at least is ''''free'''', I'd be really curious what the airfare bills are for the super teams.

Does anyone know, would they fly business class for the sort of reasoning just given??

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

So some stats, believe them if you will, show that Fardy has the only steal in the first three tests this RC. Looks like a new role in the making for Scott.:)

T

Train Without a Station

FFS work on it with one of your full time locks! For the sake of the Wallabies!

Status
Not open for further replies.