• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
do you know why bunny didn't follow rabbit to Nudgee? , greater percieved chance of a GPS premiership maybe

Also did the reds not bother to try and recruit JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua or even Tomane before they left school

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Without prejuduce:
Qld have only taken one schoolboy into the academy this year - that being Mick Bermingham. They did however take about 6 from club rugby in a show of compliance with the ARU's desire to leave schoolboys in club for a year or so before being inducted into academies.
Around Australia I only know of scant schoolboys being brought into academies for next year - Apo, Seague maybe a couple more (Killingworth probably) in NSW, Roach and Crook (the only one this year to receive professional status) for the Brumbies and as far as I know only bunny O'Connor from TSS plus Neugebauer to the Force.
There may and probably are more to add but that is the extent of this persons knowledge.

Is he the person that QLD replaced PAE with?? are you kidding?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Also did the reds not bother to try and recruit JOC (James O'Connor) or To'omua or even Tomane before they left school

They probably bothered to try a lot: a whole lot.

Even Tomane? He was the star turn of the 2007 Oz Schools tournament in Canberra and made his Qld team mate on the other wing, Luke Morahan, look like an average player by comparison, but from speaking during the week to Queensland parents I knew they knew he was going to the Storm.

No doubt the leaguies got to him very early; as they do.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I checked with my TSS person and he thinks Taps may have played in 1st XV over 3 years but wasn't a regular in grade 10. That picture from 2005 is against Downlands and TSS generally play the 2nd XV in that game as it is a bye so he would have been in the 16a's and that is evidenced by subsequent pics where it shows him wearing No22 so he would have been a replacement in that game, not a regulare 1stXV player. He would however have had run ons from the bench.

If I'm not mistaken year 10 would have been the first year (maybe the 2nd) that Taps had been at TSS. He was in Victoria before that.

To get him up their they either gave him a scholarship or at least enticed him with rugby prospects and it would make sense to blood him with some 1st XV gametime to make sure the investment payed off.

R

Rothschild

If I'm not mistaken year 10 would have been the first year (maybe the 2nd) that Taps had been at TSS. He was in Victoria before that.
To get him up their they either gave him a scholarship or at least enticed him with rugby prospects and it would make sense to blood him with some 1st XV gametime to make sure the investment payed off.

I can't answer if Taps (jnr) was ever on any contract however I do know that he voluntarily went to TSS to follow in the footsteps of his elder brother. I don't think TSS went out to get him -

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
"Even Tomane? He was the star turn of the 2007 Oz Schools tournament in Canberra and made his Qld team mate on the other wing, Luke Morahan, look like an average player by comparison, but from speaking during the week to Queensland parents I knew they knew he was going to the Storm. "

I knew he was the star of the Oz schools tournament, he scored 8 or 9 tries or something close to that total. To'omua was a quality ten and JOC (James O'Connor) was an exciting 12 so they probably should have snapped them up.

Tomane played 15 for Nudgee that year (atleast I'm pretty sure he did) but from the 15 man rugby reports he didn't make get as many mentions as JOC (James O'Connor) and hunt did. They probably should have played him at 13 but Bonny F was playing there. Hopefully if he gets bored with league he may come back to union.

From what I remember about Morahan was that he was a good finisher with a fascination for the chip and chase,

Cant believe they missed on pocock aswell.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He's was the Qld I Schools THP this year and made the Oz A team to play Fiji, but did not get selected in the group that toured.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I can't answer if Taps (jnr) was ever on any contract however I do know that he voluntarily went to TSS to follow in the footsteps of his elder brother. I don't think TSS went out to get him -

Haha it would have obviously been voluntary and either way really would be the opportunity of a lifetime, Vic elite development pathways are still reliant on Qld and NSW. Hopefully this will change is the near future.

TSS must have gone out to get his brother then because I just don't understand how someone from Box Hill, Melbourne ends up at the TSS school.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
dobduff11

Sorry - sometimes I don't think enough about what people know and don't know - and sometimes I do know and I add stuff for others to read. This post is a bit like that.

When you say they probably should have snapped them up that's because they are Queensland boys I suppose, but I can tell you that there are heaps of reasons why any Super outfit can't keep their ace school stars. 'Snapping up' is easy to type but often it's not easy for the recruiters.

Some like to stay in their home town so they can save on renting in another city and save up for a car and such, but there are others that want the excitement of moving to the other side of the country. Maybe mum is a good cook and it's part of the stay equation - or it could be vice-versa.

Sometimes they see, rightly or wrongly, a quicker pathway to starting in Super rugby in another place especially if there aren't that many young rivals for their position there compared to at home. Lindsay Crook will be in the Brumbies stable in 2011 mainly because of this reason. Qld schools rugby has been strong in the last 5 years and I started writing a couple of years ago (at least) that some of their young guns would have to leave town.

I was disappointed that NSW lost Luke Jones, a star of last year's school side and someone who I think has a big future, but the Force offered him a rookie contract and there's nothing we could have done to stop him if that's what he wanted. Ditto for Qld in 2011 regarding PAE who was in the same Oz Schools team as Jones.

Sometimes the moves of schools stars to another place make no sense at all but there is no reason to suppose that a Super team didn't try their darndest to keep them home.

On Pocock: I can't remember if he was in the category of being offered a rookie Super14 contract straight out of school. If he wasn't, I've no clue on why he went west. Maybe it was because he thought Qld rugby sucked and/or, not being a native Qlder, didn't think it was a horrible thing to leave the state and wanted to see Perth, or maybe there were some friends from Zim there.

I rabbit on about not putting young schools players into pro rugby too early and especially not the year after leaving school, and especially not forwards, nor backs who have to defend in high traffic areas. But I have also added that there have been a few exceptions and Pocock was one (and TPN another).

These lads were man boys and school opponents were scared of them. I remember a Japanese lad sidestepping Pocock at Scots but it was Pocock who had the ball not he. Bam-Bam was one who could have been elevated to a S14 contract at 17 and I wouldn't have said boo about his not being physically prepared.

Maybe Qld should have offered him the same as what the Force did. Maybe they did; I forget.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds told Pocock he had to serve an apprenticeship under Croft. The Force told him he'd be playing sooner rather than later.

T

tranquility

Haha it would have obviously been voluntary and either way really would be the opportunity of a lifetime, Vic elite development pathways are still reliant on Qld and NSW. Hopefully this will change is the near future.

TSS must have gone out to get his brother then because I just don't understand how someone from Box Hill, Melbourne ends up at the TSS school.

I have no doubt that their was some sort of arrangement or scout down there because they also picked up Lloydy Johansson, who was one of the most dominating schoolboy players in recent memory up here in god's country.

R

Rothschild

I have no doubt that their was some sort of arrangement or scout down there because they also picked up Lloydy Johansson, who was one of the most dominating schoolboy players in recent memory up here in god's country.

Well when your brother was picked up by the coach back in 2001 I think (another story altogether) and went on to Nat schoolboys, I would think if the younger was any good he would follow, as he did. As I said, I do not think he came to TSS on a scholarship but whether or not he eventually got one he sure as heck deserved it.
TSS is very guarded about their scholarships so in reality it's anyone's guess and pure speculation.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks lee and reg,

Pocock was an absolute tank at school, from watching the churchie video he was anyway.

I'm glad the force lure some of the queensland youngsters across, otherwise they would hardly ever play. Benny Tapuai has only made three appearances for the Reds yet was the queensland schols captain (i think anyway), whereas JOC (James O'Connor) has made 20 odd appearances for the force.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Thanks lee and reg,

Pocock was an absolute tank at school, from watching the churchie video he was anyway.

I'm glad the force lure some of the queensland youngsters across, otherwise they would hardly ever play. Benny Tapuai has only made three appearances for the Reds yet was the queensland schols captain (i think anyway), whereas JOC (James O'Connor) has made 20 odd appearances for the force.

Schools form =/= senior rugby form. Perhaps Taps is taking longer to mature as a player?

R

Rothschild

Apart from a select few individuals, I do not believe that schools form equates to senior form. If it did we would be turning over the wallabies every year.
If you analyse the Aust schools teams I think - if my memory is correct that on average 4 of every year actually get to wear the Wallaby colours and another 4 get to represent at super level. It's been a few years since I did the calcs but it's about that ration.
There are some that make it by default when all the logic says they are not good enough (Spooner, SKN etc) where injuries make it possible and some make it just because they are damned good enough in their own right.
Personally I think Johannson was lucky to be there - he was a very good schoolboy, much like Apo is this year but at senior level those schoolboy talents of simply bashing your way through a defence fail in the face of more sophisticated opposition. Lloyd was never that dominant in a talent sense, to me simply an unsubtle wrecking ball but a swathe of injuries left gaps all over the wallaby back line waiting for his inclusion and somehow I feel that Taps is another that unless there are some injuries ahead of him, there is little chance he will represent the Reds too many further times. Size is another factor against taps - he ain't that big but he has talent.
I am sure those at QRU HQ are just sweating on F'Sautia to leave school and you will see a very rapid escalation of his playing roster to the detriment of players like Taps.

Status
Not open for further replies.