• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I just don't think it's a fair comment.

Taking 2016 as an example, who out of the #8 and #13 would you not have picked? I would've suggested they were two of the better performers on the day. Or at you taking the bench hooker for Australia Barbarians as your example?
I'm relying on about 10 years of watching this tournament in the flesh.
It's my opinion - just as being selected is the opinion of others.
have a look at the consternation regarding selections in prior years.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm relying on about 10 years of watching this tournament in the flesh.
It's my opinion - just as being selected is the opinion of others.
have a look at the consternation regarding selections in prior years.

I don't think "consternation" is reflective of "more vic boys than there should be in the 2 sides". Everyone's got a horse in the race, and pretty much all of those Vic boys have come good.

Leota, Uelese, Saaga, Tuimalealiifano are examples from prior years. All went on to start Aus 20s or better (and receive Super contracts).

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
No surprises there:
Crossover in coaching/selection between schools & u20s.
Have a look at how our super teams are going.

Is there a cross over in selectors? Nothing has ever given me that impression from talking to people involved in high up selection processes.

Obviously two well respected sets of selectors will arrive at reasonably similar conclusions, but still.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
its all in the public domain - indeed I think you'll find it commented upon in both u20s threads and schools threads in years gone by.

I have no doubt people have SAID the selectors are the same and been unhappy about it, but the two teams are run by seperate bodies (not just seperate arms of the same body).

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
We don't want the undecided Players either.

Only boys that are committed to rugby should be eligible for national selection.

Have to disagree on this one. I want the best players available playing in the best teams. If you take out the Mungos and undecided, those who stay will be playing along side players who are not the best.

As has been shown by the international tiers of rugby, only when teams play with and against the best do they develop.

It is very sad that guys take the honours without committing to Union, but it helps nobody if representative teams aren't made up of the best players available.

I understand the sentiment Honey Badger, but in practice it could diminish the game.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
My current rankings:

Aus
1. Angus Bell NSW 2
2. Lachlan Lonergan ACT
3. Zane Horan ACT
4. Wilson QLD 1
5. Trevor Hosea QLD 1
6. Luca Moretti NSW 1
7. Wyll Holland ACT
8. Charlie Rorke NSW 1
10. Ben Donaldson NSW 1
11. Tristan Reilly CS
13. Jordan Petaia QLD 1
14. Albert Hopoate NSW 1
15. Mike Pavlakis CS

Barbarians

1. Bo Abra NSW 1
3. Finn Wright NSW 2
4. Jack Kearns ACT
5. Nick Frost NSW 1
6. Liam Cornish NSW 2
7. Harry Turner CS
9. QLD 1 halfback - apologies I don't no know his nam
10. Campbell Parata QLD 1
11. Harry Kolio Ma'o VIC
13. Luke Kapane WA
14. Jangala Bennet QLD 1
15. Sione Tui VIC

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Passion for rugby union aside...attracting , enticing, recruiting ...whatever sales pitch works.. we need the best athletes to play our game. And lots of them.. so the fans get their money's worth at that top end professional level of entertainment .. where freaky steps and off loads are caught and results in spectacular tries..& fans wanna bring their mates to our game.. oh btw.. AB's have a very healthy pathway that is churning out top end players impacting the success of the AB's . Here we are .. stuck with very limited options because we don't have the best players providing competition. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sidelineview

Example of players Undecided.

Last year 2 Waverley students had gone through the Junior Roosters system but had also played junior club rugby. They were rapt playing for their school 1st XV as all players are and made Rep teams.

Jackson Mohi and Tyzac Jordan both played in the Nationals last year for NSW1 & NSW2 respectively but were still in 2 minds as to whether they would play RL or rugby.

Both were approached by Gen Blue guys as were other players and now both play Colts ( Mohi is injured) and are in the Gen Blue system.

Even though Mohi missed out on Aussie schoolboys last year he played a game or two for NSW U20s this season.

Rugby has to get in and compete to attract good young players.

Some Undecided players will be lost to RL but you never never know if you never never go.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

I don't see how 1/3 Aus Schools selectors being ARU employed creates a concrete case for smaller unions having too many players selected in the Schools team (and then the Under 20s).

With Victoria as your specific example, I know Victorians were often unhappy with Thompson's selections when he was Under 20s coach.

There's also no evidence I can find that Thompson is a 2017 U20 selector.

You're drawing a low bow.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't see how 1/3 Aus Schools selectors being ARU employed creates a concrete case for smaller unions having too many players selected in the Schools team (and then the Under 20s).

With Victoria as your specific example, I know Victorians were often unhappy with Thompson's selections when he was Under 20s coach.

There's also no evidence I can find that Thompson is a 2017 U20 selector.

You're drawing a low bow.
I am well aware of your conviction as to your view being right on every issue.
All I can tell you is be is on the aru website as "mentor" to cron and he sat with Gaffney and Cron at games I watched.

S

sidelineview

My current rankings:

1. Angus Bell NSW 2
2. Lachlan Lonergan ACT
3. Zane Horan ACT
4. Wilson QLD 1
5. Trevor Hosea QLD 1
6. Luca Moretti NSW 1
7. Wyll Holland ACT
8. Charlie Rorke NSW 1
10. Ben Donaldson NSW 1
11. Tristan Reilly CS
13. Jordan Petaia QLD 1
14. Albert Hopoate NSW 1
15. Mike Pavlakis CS

Harry Haywood from NSW2 is a handy 15 as well.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Example of players Undecided.

Last year 2 Waverley students had gone through the Junior Roosters system but had also played junior club rugby. They were rapt playing for their school 1st XV as all players are and made Rep teams.

Jackson Mohi and Tyzac Jordan both played in the Nationals last year for NSW1 & NSW2 respectively but were still in 2 minds as to whether they would play RL or rugby.

Both were approached by Gen Blue guys as were other players and now both play Colts ( Mohi is injured) and are in the Gen Blue system.

Even though Mohi missed out on Aussie schoolboys last year he played a game or two for NSW U20s this season.

Rugby has to get in and compete to attract good young players.

Some Undecided players will be lost to RL but you never never know if you never never go.
That's not the problem: the issue is that there's no money in union between 18 and 20. I gather Tyzac gor his dream job and so no doubt that removed that issue from equation.
Who are you going to offer the very limited money to? The requirements of the 2 codes are really quite different. Tyrone is with bunnies and he may flourish in league but give his well known aversion to the forwards it's hard to see him getting as far in union as league - but if you want to stop him going you'd have to pay him.
And so it goes: we keep tyzac because he's got a job in a career path we lose Tyrone because the bUnnies presumably pay him.

S

sidelineview

That's not the problem: the issue is that there's no money in union between 18 and 20. I gather Tyzac gor his dream job and so no doubt that removed that issue from equation.
Who are you going to offer the very limited money to? The requirements of the 2 codes are really quite different. Tyrone is with bunnies and he may flourish in league but give his well known aversion to the forwards it's hard to see him getting as far in union as league - but if you want to stop him going you'd have to pay him.
And so it goes: we keep tyzac because he's got a job in a career path we lose Tyrone because the bUnnies presumably pay him.

What job? You've got your wires crossed there.

Mohi and Jordan chose rugby because they enjoy it and believe they have a future in the game. The promise of rep honours etc .. Mohi has already played U20s NSW.

The ambition of playing for NSW U20s and Australian U20s is motivation enough for some players. And maybe being picked up by a Super rugby team.
Short term goals aren't what motivates some players.

Some players get educational opportunities and take it while playing a game they enjoy with their mates. And hope future rep honours eventuate.

And of course there's always the line of thought that if a player establishes himself in rugby or shows promise, he will be offered good cash further down the track to play RL. That can be a long term consideration.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
He's turning 17 this year.. save your $$ mate .. great player though. AH will feature somewhere in the National team.. hopefully he stays with Union as hel
Likely return to league ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He actually is only 16 this year. Played Harold matts for manly and that competition is limited to players who do not turn 17. He also made the under 16s NSW origin team.

Status
Not open for further replies.