• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Ouch!
No, I just don't think we'll be seeing a NSWelshman in the 10 shirt for Australia this year.
But surprised that you don't believe that Williams and Yassmin have had good tournaments.
Just having a bit of fun with the Scots connection there Wristy and no issue with Williams having had a big tournament. Yassmin is big, strong and fast which are unquestionably good attributes for a winger, and he looks great when the job is simply to pin the ears and go. But I think others offer more in all round game including decision making under pressure, passing and defence (eg Lloyd and both Q2 wingers today).

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I think far too much has been said about Smith (and Savala).

Let's not forget they could very well read this stuff and they are still 'kids'. Well young men really.

I spoke briefly to Billy today and he was putting on a brave face, but you could tell he was gutted to have not been able to take full part on this tournament.

IMO he would have to have been a very good chance of making the final 46. And now he won't be able to due injury.

Rich-e,

Agree completely, Billy Smith is a real talent, ok missed out at this tournament, but for a man of his talent there will be many more great days ahead.Also RICH_E let him know that this does NOT come from a GPS but almost the enemy, a CAS long time rugby observer.

Billy go forward you certainly have the talent!

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Savala was unable to play in CAS v GPS and was leapfrogged into the team anyway. Like Smith in ones, another lesson in why you should only select those that are fit enough to play the initial selection trial and appear fit enough to get through the next level.

CNP

Having fun at the scots connection u might think it's funny but Savala is still in hospital with a completely different injury to previous injury which occurred in the ACT game . Savala passed the NSW medical and started game on Monday.Wake up and think before u speak .Also check match report NSW2 against WA u might find he goes alright .

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
For Qld readers of G&G sake(in case you thought this was a NSW thread), here are my views of the Qld games against NSW's teams.

Qld 1 vs NSW2:

Qld 1 forwards absolutely dominated and destroyed N2. This was evidence with N2 being caught offside and were penalised a lot. Qld 1 were superior in the set pieces
Defense :
Qld 1 defense was rock solid. this was exemplified by their centre #13 Jordan Petala. I thought he destroyed all confidence in N2 penetration in the centres with his devastating tackles that resulted in 3 turnovers from knock ons, especially when N2 were hot on attack.
As is the cliche,
"Defense wins games".
2 of N2 tries were opportunistic Ind efforts. One from an intercept leading to an 80 mtr runaway.
Their defense provided the platform to launch their raids time and time again. N2 had no answer.
Qld 1 were relentless. The backs were brilliant and unlucky not to score more.
Overall, Qld 1 (led by captain and most skillful forward Harry Wilson) out-classed NSW with superior skills set.
Qld 2 vs NSW1 :
Again, Qld 2 exerted the same game plan and self belief (ACT showed against NSW2 and Qld 1)to deservedly beat NSW1 today. They had courage and willingness to put it all out there and got rewarded with a great win.
Its quite remarkable when "team' work is given by all 15 players on the field regardless of the opposition 'name or no-name' amongst the discussions of whose who.
Again my pick for Qld 2 has to be the #8 Lachlan Connors (great ball carried and great work rate) with a very influential effort by the #11 Viliami lea & #14 (playing at outside centre) Mila Tuilagi.
Young (16 yr old) Carter Gordon may have played himself into a development role with Baa Baas. This kid will go places. Reminded me so much of a young Stephen Larhkam. He is fearless in defense with no regard for his health taking on the big poppas of N1 giants. . .remained calm under pressure.
Overall every Individual in the Qld 1&2 played their role and gave 100% to the teams overall mandate.
NSW will no doubt bounce back. It makes for some thrilling games of rugby on Saturday. I think Qld 1 vs NSW 1 will be a classic. Cant wait to watch this one. In particular Nick Frost the incumbent Barbarians lock from last year up against Rebel bound Trevor Hosea's aggression in defense and skillful off loads in contact.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Let's not forget they could very well read this stuff and they are still 'kids'. Well young men really.

I spoke briefly to Billy today and he was putting on a brave face, but you could tell he was gutted to have not been able to take full part on this tournament.

IMO he would have to have been a very good chance of making the final 46. And now he won't be able to due injury.
Based on past years he still could.
They usually leave a couple of spots TBA'd plus there are injuries between now and then and he has been "on the radar" for years so he's a fairly well known quantity.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Based on past years he still could.
They usually leave a couple of spots TBA'd plus there are injuries between now and then and he has been "on the radar" for years so he's a fairly well known quantity.

True. "It ain't over yet". He definitely has some talent. I was really looking forward to watching Hardeker and Smith play together as 12 and 13 and sadly that didn't eventuate.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
For Qld readers of G&G sake(in case you thought this was a NSW thread), here are my views of the Qld games against NSW's teams.

Qld 1 vs NSW2:

Qld 1 forwards absolutely dominated and destroyed N2. This was evidence with N2 being caught offside and were penalised a lot. Qld 1 were superior in the set pieces
Defense :
Qld 1 defense was rock solid. this was exemplified by their centre #13 Jordan Petala. I thought he destroyed all confidence in N2 penetration in the centres with his devastating tackles that resulted in 3 turnovers from knock ons, especially when N2 were hot on attack.
As is the cliche,
"Defense wins games".
2 of N2 tries were opportunistic Ind efforts. One from an intercept leading to an 80 mtr runaway.
Their defense provided the platform to launch their raids time and time again. N2 had no answer.
Qld 1 were relentless. The backs were brilliant and unlucky not to score more.
Overall, Qld 1 (led by captain and most skillful forward Harry Wilson) out-classed NSW with superior skills set.
Qld 2 vs NSW1 :
Again, Qld 2 exerted the same game plan and self belief (ACT showed against NSW2 and Qld 1)to deservedly beat NSW1 today. They had courage and willingness to put it all out there and got rewarded with a great win.
Its quite remarkable when "team' work is given by all 15 players on the field regardless of the opposition 'name or no-name' amongst the discussions of whose who.
Again my pick for Qld 2 has to be the #8 Lachlan Connors (great ball carried and great work rate) with a very influential effort by the #11 Viliami lea & #14 (playing at outside centre) Mila Tuilagi.
Young (16 yr old) Carter Gordon may have played himself into a development role with Baa Baas. This kid will go places. Reminded me so much of a young Stephen Larhkam. He is fearless in defense with no regard for his health taking on the big poppas of N1 giants.remained calm under pressure.
Overall every Individual in the Qld 1&2 played their role and gave 100% to the teams overall mandate.
NSW will no doubt bounce back. It makes for some thrilling games of rugby on Saturday. I think Qld 1 vs NSW 1 will be a classic. Cant wait to watch this one. In particular Nick Frost the incumbent Barbarians lock from last year up against Rebel bound Trevor Hosea's aggression in defense and skillful off loads in contact.

It was only 1 day ago when some/many of the QLD supporters were disgusted by their 1 and 2 teams efforts, and they did certainly bounce back today.
IMO the NSW1 team was picked well to do a great but was never in a position to do it's best. Politics/in other words/connections in places that can count are clearly to many different schoolpeople.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
It was only 1 day ago when some/many of the QLD supporters were disgusted by their 1 and 2 teams efforts, and they did certainly bounce back today.
IMO the NSW1 team was picked well to do a great but was never in a position to do it's best. Politics/in other words/connections in places that can count are clearly to many different schoolpeople.

Excuses , excuses excuses is all I hear about NSW 1 they were overconfident thought they would just turn up win and be in the final ,which was clearly evident from the chat in the morning from some players but instead they played a really good team today who defensively put nsw under pressure and was a great game to watch . Bring on Saturday , I'm sure NSW 1 will be up for this game after all the talk today.

S

sidelineview

Hardaker had a miserable tournament. His passing was woeful today and majority of the time did not find the player and went to ground . A couple of times today Albert Hopoate was in open space if the ball found its mark. But yes I suggest he did nothing to date (this tournament) to warrant selection in either two Aussie teams.

Agree with William88.
Hardaker's confidence was shot by today's game.
In and out of his favoured positon of IC and instructed to play a different style of game that he obviously couldnt manage.

Extremely disappointing.

S

sidelineview

Went out to watch the games today.
A few observations.
A great afternoon for Queensland and a dismal showing from NSW.
NSW 2 were competitive but the QLD 1 win was a very fair reflection of the game. Qld 1 more urgent and just that bit better in every facet of the game.
And the NSW 1 loss to QLD 2 was equally a fair reflection of performance on the day.
We were well beaten at the breakdown and our backs rarely look threatening.
The backline problems started at fly half, we seemed to spend the whole match shuffling sideways or kicking possession away to little benefit.
There was rarely an aggressive line run.
Plenty of Queenslanders performed but for NSW across the 2 teams - Angus Bell, Moretti (before his injury) , Jeremy Williams and Yassmin were my picks. Frost was flawless at the line outs but was largely invisible beyond that.
Yassmin my pick of the day, looked the most dangerous back out there today.
Scored 2 tries against Qld 1 from a minimal number of touches.

The rugby.com.au NSW1 match report doesnt agree with you.
Donaldson at fly half got a big wrap.

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
Rachet,

What I have seen this year in particular, and last year, was perhaps the most brilliant attacking IC I have seen for decades.

Brooklyn H. is truly unbelievable but was butchered in this tournament.
He and Ben Donaldson at Waverley have put away most of the Sydney GPS teams this year by 50+. Clearly with an unbelievable forward pack, but their brilliance is what what makes school boy rugby, the best.

He has had no real time at this tournament and therefore no connection to his team mate at no 10 .

I have just read Sidelines comments above and SLV is completely spot on.

I now can't wait for the rest of our comp to resume, SLV, I think you know where I am coming from.

I have been really impressed with Waverley this year, in particular Morreti, Cornish, Donaldson and Hardaker - but can we not forget that they did lose to Kings and Riverview!

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ouch!
No, I just don't think we'll be seeing a NSWelshman in the 10 shirt for Australia this year.
But surprised that you don't believe that Williams and Yassmin have had good tournaments.

They will pick 2 X 10's and the squad will be named Alphabetically, so you wont know the first pick. Last year was Lucas and Doueihi. Given Doueihi got the start and 10 jumper in the match against NZ, I assume he was the first pick. Not Mine, I thought Lucas was sensational, nearly won the game for AUS when he came on in the second half.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Are they not holding back 6 positions (3 for each squad) to announce later? Think he will be a red hot prospect for 1 of those if he regains his fitness

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Any updates on who were the best in Qld 1 yesterday
How are the 7,8 and 6 going.
I heard 7 put some hits on .was that Small or Kibble?

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Any updates on who were the best in Qld 1 yesterday
How are the 7,8 and 6 going.
I heard 7 put some hits on .was that Small or Kibble?

"I heard 7 put some hits" "how are 7, 8 and 6 going " why don't you watch the video yourself and answer your own question !!

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
CNP

Having fun at the scots connection u might think it's funny but Savala is still in hospital with a completely different injury to previous injury which occurred in the ACT game . Savala passed the NSW medical and started game on Monday.Wake up and think before u speak .Also check match report NSW2 against WA u might find he goes alright .
What am I to wake up to champ? Nowhere did I criticise Savala, wish him ill or disparage his skill. I hope he recovers fully and quickly. My point was and remains that if selectors pick players who are fit enough to trial - Savala wasn't - and then appear fit enough to continue to next level, they stand a better chance of those selected playing out the tournament and not needing to be replaced at the last minute, with all the angst this always generates (see peppered through the last 20 pages).

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
!!!! Why dont the NSW commentarian's take their discussion of Ind players to the nsw's gps thread and argue your points on the poor kids there????

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I unfortunately missed the NSW 1's game as father in law was taken to hospital and I decided that I did want to stay married after all so spent match time at RNSH. A lot can happen in 24 hours in schoolboy rugby but to save me reading through the last few pages can someone outline in a few succinct sentences what went wrong. I had thought (obviously wrongly) that the game would be a walk in the park - this would have to be the strongest NSW team I had seen in a while. ??

S

sidelineview

I unfortunately missed the NSW 1's game as father in law was taken to hospital and I decided that I did want to stay married after all so spent match time at RNSH. A lot can happen in 24 hours in schoolboy rugby but to save me reading through the last few pages can someone outline in a few succinct sentences what went wrong. I had thought (obviously wrongly) that the game would be a walk in the park - this would have to be the strongest NSW team I had seen in a while. ??

QLD were too good, too enthusiastic and NSW disappointed.

NSW missed some tackles they shouldnt have. QLD scored a try from one kick off and from a scrum that looked too easy.
The full replay of the game isnt up on Youtube yet, so it will be interesting to watch it.

There are sub plots and disgruntled people from the NSW camp re coaching etc. Players down on confidence etc. They're genuine complaints given the noise made about it but no excuses for NSW1.

It was very close but NSW weren't good enough on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.