• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Heres a reflective sunday read (from the Nationals last week)for the rugby followers :
Australian Schoolboys Rugby Championships draws International Interest.

The cream of Australian schoolboys rugby union players were on display this past week in Sydney.The National championships brings together the very best of the current crop from around the country to compete against each other.It is the arena to showcase their wares for a special chance at representing their country. This is the pinnacle of schoolboys rugby. It is also, traditionally where the first “rugby auction” for agents, scouts and who's who of professional rugby come to potentially bid for the next ‘best thing’ that will help bring $uccess to their respective franchises.
Two of the more enigmatic International coaches surprisingly made grandeur appearances this week at the tournament.
Eddie Jones the 'Oz' England coach who has transformed the men in white, was not at all shy taking centre stage on the sidelines keeping a keen eye on the first day of competition. Not to be outdone, Michael Cheika the Wallaby coach, also made sure his appearance the following day of competition was ‘noticed’. A political statement or genuine rugby interest? Food for thought .
The National schoolboys rugby is always an exciting spectacle and sometimes it is about the rugby played.
The passion showcased by the State and Territory teams are no match for the boisterous and biased fans (usually the parents, families and friends of the players), who are also armed and self taught experts on all things rugby. As to be expected, their one eyed opinion heavily favours ‘their’ team and of course their son.
The rugby spectacle is just the tip of the iceberg. You maybe forgiven for assuming the rugby on the field was the main show. The fact of the matter is, if you tapped into your sixth sense and look below the surface, you would be very surprised to see that there were extra terrestrials mingling amongst the crowd for most of the week.
This is my second year at the Nationals. The amount of ‘activities’ going on at the St Ignatius school grounds was unfortunately never about the spectacular River-view towards the city skyscrapers, but the negotiations between stakeholders.Judging from the crowd, everyone had an agenda
There is the caffeine line at the coffee van, the bright fluorescent dressed army of selectors and tournament administrators armed with folders and clipboards keeping an eye on proceedings.
There were men with the friendliest smiles tapping parents ( who live the dream and the once in a lifetime hope that their son may be the next Israel Folau or a David Pocock) on the shoulder to do their sales pitch. The promise of a super rugby franchise contract is always the dangling carrot that wins over their vulnerable and ill informed trust and so they sign their sons away to an unknown god.
Unfortunately, just as the euphoria and ecstasy created by the mysterious bidder at an auction is all but done and dusted at the fall of the auctioneers hammer, so it is with the return to reality for most of the hopefuls who must accept the verdict.It's one of the sad stories that is heard often at this annual event. The other (always intriguing and filled with passion and highly charged emotions), is the selection of the Australian Schoolboys and Australian Barbarians teams.
Just tap into one of the many social media outlets minutes after the teams are announced. The critics would rival any of the human rights violation cases with their vented anger and absolute disgust at the incompetency of the selectors “paid” to pick MJ and EJ (Eddie Jones) blah blah blah because of. . . and so their conspiracy theory fills the airwaves and eventually dissipates to just hot air that is blown out to sea...within days.
Let's hope that the unthinkable ( that our sons for the return home to the motherland possibility) will NEVER occur. In keeping up with the Jones man, let's hope Cheika keeps him in ‘check -a mate’ for life.

Rugby God

Bob McCowan (2)
Not telling who?
What players are in line?
Billy Smith, Will Harrison. Who else?
My understanding is the selectors spoke about size against NZ and that they will need to bring in a fullback with size and another lock from outside.

Reilly from Combined States will be looked at and Pat Langtry will be looking at the boys who missed out including those in the Brumbies that didn't get a start.

Reilly is a real weapon and was unlucky to not be included in the NSW team. He is every bit a rugby player and will see further honours if the Waratahs invest in him. I just don't know if the selectors would be too happy with him playing at the League Schoolboys and if they will invest in league players.

S

sidelineview

My understanding is the selectors spoke about size against NZ and that they will need to bring in a fullback with size and another lock from outside.

Reilly from Combined States will be looked at and Pat Langtry will be looking at the boys who missed out including those in the Brumbies that didn't get a start.

Reilly is a real weapon and was unlucky to not be included in the NSW team. He is every bit a rugby player and will see further honours if the Waratahs invest in him. I just don't know if the selectors would be too happy with him playing at the League Schoolboys and if they will invest in league players.

Ok. The other bloke inferred a fly half will come into the team. We'll see.
Triston Reilly is a good footballer. I thought he was a chance for a spot in one of the teams but as you say, plays league as well. Who knows if someone from NSW rugby has spoken to him.

Smith and Harrison are good footballers as well.

We'll see what happens.

Rugby God

Bob McCowan (2)
Pat Langtry will be selecting the team who he believes will be able to play his structured game. It's that simple. Those that was in the Schoolboys last year will understand how detailed & structured he is. Pat Langtry would have learnt from last year and that's why this years final team will be a much bigger team than last year.

We can talk on here as much as we like, the teams have already been penciled in, they just have to watch a few extra players who didn't play in the carnival due to injury and being unfit at that time. Harrison is one of those players.

S

sidelineview

That all makes sense. It wouldn't surprise to see Harrison named.

He was unlucky with the timing of his injury and did make the Barbarians team last year. Hes a very good player.

However, neither him nor Reilly have too much size about them.

Rugby God

Bob McCowan (2)
https://rugbynews.net.au/nsw-schools-schoolboy-hunter-ward-scores-5-tries-first-grade-debut/

Well, Hunter from Stannies (ISA) may get a spot yet.
Mixing it with the big boys!
I thought he was very unlucky to miss out. I had him in front of the ACT lock who got picked. Hunter has great size and skill. I was very surprised when his name wasn't called out.

Surely the Brumbies and the ACT have locks? Watching them play they took a team of backrowers. Would be interesting to know who played played Gold Cup an who's in their Academy. Obviously the Brumbies are doing some goods things down there given the small number of students there. But then again Pat Langtry would have had a say in the make up of the ACT Team one would think.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
NSW players overall are very fortunate they made schoolboys and baa baas recently announced. Qld gps has just started their season proper and 3 of the remaining spots for schoolboys will be from Qld based on the rnd one I just saw. ACT will fill the other 2.

Breaks_Away

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSW players overall are very fortunate they made schoolboys and baa baas recently announced. Qld gps has just started their season proper and 3 of the remaining spots for schoolboys will be from Qld based on the rnd one I just saw. ACT will fill the other 2.

I wouldn't count on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Neither would I.
NSW people thought Qld players were fortunate last year.

Arguing whats fair has nothing to do with it.

S-L-V pull your head in mate. WHo said anything about being fair? This is rugby, it is always filled with controversy and politics. It is what it is.
All I was saying is, I was down at the Nationals and I witness players performances. I still believe Qld has a greater chance of filling the remainding 3 for schoolboys because they showed far more potential given they have not started their season at the time of Nationals. And in MO, 10 for ACT will move up into main squad and fullback will come in to Baa baas(ACT).

S

sidelineview

S-L-V pull your head in mate. WHo said anything about being fair? This is rugby, it is always filled with controversy and politics. It is what it is.
All I was saying is, I was down at the Nationals and I witness players performances. I still believe Qld has a greater chance of filling the remainding 3 for schoolboys because they showed far more potential given they have not started their season at the time of Nationals. And in MO, 10 for ACT will move up into main squad and fullback will come in to Baa baas(ACT).

Thanks for the insight.
You're entitled to your opinion but the fortunate ones are the ones who get selected.
Last season Qld players were fortunate.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
The way Australia is going with selections is the reason why NZ are so far ahead! The tournament for a start does not suit certain states.Qld have 1 week to prepare 2 sides.. Others are not far behind. That tells me the team has already been picked, or a majority have been. Qld are clearly handicapped. If they had 3-4 weeks together, they would've easily taken ACT. I personally think the trials should be at least in late July to make all teams prepare fairly. Selections would be on player performance only, not from past performances. Some players play well for their school but cannot make the next step.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
The way Australia is going with selections is the reason why NZ are so far ahead! The tournament for a start does not suit certain states.Qld have 1 week to prepare 2 sides.. Others are not far behind. That tells me the team has already been picked, or a majority have been. Qld are clearly handicapped. If they had 3-4 weeks together, they would've easily taken ACT. I personally think the trials should be at least in late July to make all teams prepare fairly. Selections would be on player performance only, not from past performances. Some players play well for their school but cannot make the next step.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You obviously don't have a boy at school. The championships are across the school holidays. Late July just misses the school holidays and is the time at which HSC trial exams take place in NSW.
Most of these boys are in Year 12 and already scrambling to catch up on their studies with the tournament where it is in early July.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)

I thought Reilly did plenty to press for selection and when you read the game reports for the first 3 days from ASRU and G&G websites supports that. I like how he runs square to the line and no sideways movement, all balanced running. It would be a shame if Riley does not make one of these last remaining aus schoolboys spots. Sitting out the majority of trial games due to injury hindered his chances for NSW selection re match fitness and ball in the hand but he made that up playing for CS. If Riley gets the opportunity to play outside some good inside players we will see the best of him. He is currently Aus 7's u18 squad member too.

Day.JPG

Day 2.2.JPG

Rugby God

Bob McCowan (2)
I thought Reilly did plenty to press for selection and when you read the game reports for the first 3 days from ASRU and G&G websites supports that. I like how he runs square to the line and no sideways movement, all balanced running. It would be a shame if Riley does not make one of these last remaining aus schoolboys spots. Sitting out the majority of trial games due to injury hindered his chances for NSW selection re match fitness and ball in the hand but he made that up playing for CS. If Riley gets the opportunity to play outside some good inside players we will see the best of him. He is currently Aus 7's u18 squad member too.

View attachment 9530

View attachment 9531
With Respect,

I also thought he played well and believe he would add value to any team. Not sure if you meant it but it sounds like you are putting other players down in the Combined States team. Don't think they deserved that.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
With Respect,

I also thought he played well and believe he would add value to any team. Not sure if you meant it but it sounds like you are putting other players down in the Combined States team. Don't think they deserved that.

Steady on old mate how you interpret I am putting down players in Combined States ? Combined States dropped one game and were a good unified team. I am suggesting that being outside players of the calibre of aus rep players will bring out another level to his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.