• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinetree

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree with the comments. I to think it's time for a change regarding coaches and definitely selection policies.
Frost was outstanding. Strong carries, strong in the line outs, and fantastic work ethic.
Kibble was unbelievable. The centres were disappointing. I think Jordan would have been better at fullback. Look at his season with Brisbane State.
Hopa needed more ball. Still can't believe he's 16. Ben played well at nationals as a 10, but didn't fit for the 15 role.
I think the better 9's were in the Barbarian's. I feel sorry Hunt who had an outstanding nationals and school season and led Nudgee College to a premiership. But confused why he was overlooked. I liked the enthusiasm Dylan bought and agree with the comments.
Parata can't tackle. He hides in defence. Fantastic boot, but that's about it.
The question I have is why do coaches sit behind the goal line and still make decisions for the boys. Let them think and make decisions for themselves. That's why you pick them. I think that's why NZ are far better. They let the boys play and express themselves. They make a mistake they move on and try again. That was the notable difference. There not scared to take risks. To much politics and in order to beat the Kiwis we need change. Maybe a super rugby assistant coach or something that has to ties to schools rugby. This is just my opinions.

Great post ! Agree selection policies have to change, selection timelines need to change I believe team is selected way too early. Our schoolboys look way too structured its alomost as if they have no idea how to play and thats a major issues in how we play our 1st XV rugby

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks Hoggie, you reported this a few months back, no one was really concerned then and wish him all the best overseas if that is his choice.There are plenty of young blokes dedicated to Australia who will fill his place more than admirably.

The ARU cannot claim Oz Schoolboys to part of the the pathway to Wallaby gold if top players like Frost and Rourke play then depart.

LowestManAlwaysWins

Bob McCowan (2)
Oz Schoolboys is only A pathway not the ONLY pathway
Many boys who were not selected will go on to wear the Green and Gold
as will some who were selected. Some will even go to league
Good luck to all of them Its their lives, their dreams and their choices

LowestManAlwaysWins

Bob McCowan (2)
Correct me if I'm wrong but there will be no U20 State competition for 2018? If that's the case what does that mean for Australian U20 selections.

Rumour has it that there will be an U19s NRC style comp next year 2018 Whilst that doesnt address the U20s comp being shelved, it may be that they are going to stick with individual traditional Colts programs at clubs around the country as the feeder into Australian U20s

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Correct me if I'm wrong but there will be no U20 State competition for 2018? If that's the case what does that mean for Australian U20 selections.

Players will be nominated by their provincial unions and someone or some people - unknown unnamed at this point (was supposed to be Brad Thorn as coach) - will pick players to attend a number of camps. Brumbies u20s played Rebels U20s in Albury a few weeks ago.

keenas

Stan Wickham (3)
Im very curious as to what all the hype around 10 Will Harrison is. I was at the game on the weekend and he seemed to offer nothing, his kicks were often pointless and only travelled 30-40m in defence he certainly wasn't a force to be reckoned with, in attack he didn't set up anything (as seen by the lack of metres made by the backs of set play). Not to knock the kid but if it is true he was selected by playing a good game for randwick thirds colt against west harbour i'd be very angry if i was one of the boys who missed out. Compared to last years flyhalves (doueihi and lucas) who were both electric Harrison seemed out of place on the field. I would've preferred Jimenze at 15 and donaldson at 10.
My thoughts also

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
Australian Rugby Sevens u18's schoolboys Squad for 2017 World School Sevens to be held in Auckland, New Zealand, in December.

Angus BELL - St Ignatius College, Riverview, NSW
Charlie SAVALA - The Scots College, Bellevue Hill, NSW
Haloti FONUA - Victoria University Secondary College, VIC
Hamiso TABUAI - Brisbane Grammar, Spring Hill, QLD
Hunter WARD - St Stanislaus College, Bathurst, NSW
Jackson PUGH - Aranmore College, Leederville, WA
Jakob STYLES - The Scots College, Bellevue Hill, NSW
Jordan WILLIAMS - The Kings School, Parramatta, NSW
Tiko TWIST - St Peters- Lutheran, Indooroopilly, QLD
Triston REILLY - St Joseph’s College, Hunters Hill, NSW
Will HARRIS - The Scots College, Bellevue Hill, NSW
Will HARRISON - Marcellin College, Randwick, NSW