• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian tour of SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Painful to watch. Starting to have some doubts. If these two are still in at lunch there will be some interesting conversations.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You aren't serious? There's 2 sessions to go and we need 1 wicket. All over with the new ball.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
One wicket is what's required to bust the game open. There are, I think, fifty-nine overs left so let's hope we get one right after lunch with the new ball and put an end to it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Faf will stay you'd think. Got to crack Duminy and then we are into the tail. Still, Phatlander and Steyn are no mugs

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saffers will struggle now. Not impossible to salvage the Test and series, but ABdV has been very classy this series and will be missed in this blockathon for the draw.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
You ripper was listening to it on the phone in bed once he got the 9th wicket jumped up out of bed ran to the tv just in time to see the last wicket lucky I got a late start tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ryan Harris. You fucking champion.

Left the run a bit late though. I was getting a bit worried. Nervous beers going down quickly.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
"Magnificent delivery from Ryan Harris. Australia win the series!" - Mark Nicholas

You beeeeeeeaauuttttty. 2-1 victory in South Africa.

That was bloody close. What a fitting end to the series, I wish there was another two matches to go but we'll take the win. We aren't far off #1 now and surely we are considered the best team in the world right now.

Aussies dominated the entire test but the Proteas showed enough resolve on the final day to deserve a draw. Philander was absolutely excellent, complimented well by AB, Faf and Dale. In the end, they weren't good enough.

Congratulations to Dave Warner on Man of the Match and Man of the Series. Despite the amount of crap he talks the bloke can bat and answered all his critics emphatically scoring 3 tons and averaging 91. He's showing maturity and scoring runs, that's all we can ask.

Farewell Graeme Smith, 108 games as captain and a winning record of 49.1% . One of the greatest captains of the modern era and an exceptional opening batsman. Enjoy retirement mate, it was a pleasure sending you out with a series loss!

But seriously, you're a champion of the game and I can't think of many other blokes who are in your league as a captain. South African cricket will forever be in debt to you, Sir.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Well done AUS and retain there position as the most hated team in test cricket.

Bad toss to loose although I recon with the depleted SA attack I doubt we would have won.
That is three test matches in a row we have lost a strike bowler in the first innings.
Good bye Biff good call though we need to sort out our opening three.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Well done AUS and retain there position as the most hated team in test cricket.

Really? Seems the Poms and Saffers love to lord it over everyone when on top but when the going gets tough you know where to find them. Poms arrived here full of themselves and were destroyed, glad your lot showed a bit more ticker. AB de Villiers and Ben Stokes would be the only players from those two teams to have enhanced or lived up to there expectations. Two captains totally demoralised.

Not sure what happened with Clarke/Steyn and seeing as though Clarke apologised then that seems in the right spirit. I seem to remember Philander getting to Warner so if you think it is all one way you are kidding yourself.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well done to Clarke and his crew. I'll bet Pup was having a few nervous moments about the timing of his declaration, if it had've been a draw a few boots up the bum might've been called for. But they won, in a fabulous, tough, enthralling test at that.

I reckon that's about as good as it's ever going to get for this lot. I'd wager we won't see Haddin, Harris, Rogers and Watson together again in the Australian cricket team. Haddin and Rogers will be marked severely if/when they suffer a drop in form, Harris will take some time to recover from his medical procedures and may never be the same bowler again while Watson, well, you all know my feelings about Shane: off to the Sheffield Shield for five matches with NO physical breakdowns before he's even looked at for future test selection.

My wife's an astute and fervent cricket follower, almost as fervent as me. She remarked the Saffers play cricket like us: hard and no quarter asked or given. Very true. Your remark, whatty, smacks of sour grapes when looked at in the total picture of this series. I don't think I've ever seen a bowler work over a batsman like Morkel did to Clarke in this test's first innings, possibly the Windies at their peak but they didn't concentrate on one batsman. Clarke had every right to respond to Morkel's physical attack, but didn't. Yet any "provocation" the Aussies directed to SAf causes offence leading us to a "position as the most hated team in test cricket". In my opinion that position's Pakistan's by default unless others prove more worthy of the title. Get a grip, whatty.

Status
Not open for further replies.