• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Too many Kiwis and Kiwi-lovers on this site, for me. NZ is just a group of guys dressed in black who do a quaint dance before the match. Not having Foxtel, I don't get to see SBW, so only have the last RWC performances to judge him on. He was so ordinary, that the ABs officials (reluctantly) picked him on the bench in the games that he did contest, and (from memory), his performances supported their lack of confidence in him!
Worth remembering in the months ahead:The All Blacks have never won a RWC away from NZ! Wallabies by 10.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I back Cheika in his selections as overall his rotations and selections has unearthed some interesting finds and we only see the plAyers in matches whilst Cheika has seen the players combinations in countless training sessions

Time to back the team selected for ab's

Go the wallabies - do us proud on Saturday

That's fighting talk. The Internet will not be denied!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'd hate to be on Luke Jone's tackle bag practise early next year. The guy must be going mental seeing Mumm slot into the squad.

Cheika obviously thinks Mumm is better, and has reaffirmed that by selecting him to start. Whether he or the Internet is right is yet to be determined.

The advantage the Internet has is that (like in quantum superposition) it picks every player in every position, and can therefore always claim to have been right.

T

TOCC

I'd hate to be on Luke Jone's tackle bag practise early next year. The guy must be going mental seeing Mumm slot into the squad.

Yep I thought he was one of the form locks of the seasons and had claims to start int he second row ahead of Simmons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Is JOC (James O'Connor) in the squad at all?

I don't know what his form was like in Super Rugby or where they had him playing at the Reds but he was/is a great finisher and is the kind of guy who can score tries from out of nothing.

Like Speight in Super Rugby but as yet un-seen in his admittedly short Test Career so far.
He had a few short breaks due to injury which didn't help him settle into his footy and he was also shuffled around a little playing wing and fullback with maybe a game or two at 10.
He had some semi regular flashes of his trademark brilliance running the ball where he would stroll through the oppo's defence and carve off 30-40m but more regularly he looked like he did at the Rebels. A player who thought he had to do everything and too often over played his hand.
He is actually one guy that I would've at least had in the squad regardless of this season's form as I think in the Wallabies squad he would've excelled much like some of the other Reds have once they got away from RG.
He's been playing prem grade and will be working hard in the NRC as it will only take an injury for him to be back in the mix and he would know that.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Not the team I would have selected but there is not a standout difference between each of the alternatives and so I am really happy with it. Cheika is certainly mixing and matching to find his best combination. While we expected to see Horwill and Skelton starting, Cheika seems to see Simmons and Mumm as his two lineout locks and Horwill and Skelton as his grunt locks and is picking one of each.

I reckon that barring injuries we might see a finishing team of Slipper, TPN, Holmes, Skelton, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, McCalman, White, Giteau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), To'omua, Kuridrani, Beale, Folau. That in itself looks to be a real starting team so that we have at least two formations that can allow us to start Hooper and Pocock together, with Simmons and Palu to add further variations. It may not be up to NZ class yet but its certainly well on the way.

Options aplenty, hope is rising.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Not the team I would have selected but there is not a standout difference between each of the alternatives and so I am really happy with it. Cheika is certainly mixing and matching to find his best combination. While we expected to see Horwill and Skelton starting, Cheika seems to see Simmons and Mumm as his two lineout locks and Horwill and Skelton as his grunt locks and is picking one of each.

I reckon that barring injuries we might see a finishing team of Slipper, TPN, Holmes, Skelton, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock, McCalman, White, Giteau, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), To'omua, Kuridrani, Beale, Folau. That in itself looks to be a real starting team so that we have at least two formations that can allow us to start Hooper and Pocock together, with Simmons and Palu to add further variations. It may not be up to NZ class yet but its certainly well on the way.

I think Kepu and To'omua would be in a real starting team but your point's a good one.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't mind the Wallabies lineup. I think the balance of the pack looks a lot better. Mumm, Horwill and Fardy plus one of the hobbits should provide good lineout options. There's potentially more grunt at ruck time too.

The big issue is 12/13 and whether that combination can click and provide the space and go forward to open it up for others.

Lots of experience in there with Gits, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Drew, Horwill, Moore etc. As I've said previously, these tests are usually very close encounters. It's what happens in the last quarter that matters.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Didn't he have at least one kick in the SA test which came up short?

True. But when he's not half injured and out of breathe he's probably the best kicker. So he can kick for the first 60mins (if his body lasts that long) then someone will have to take over... damn we need a good kicker :(

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Yet to be convinced about Giteau being in the 23, but assuming your picks I'd much rather To'omua at 10 and then Giteau (if he proves to be worthy) in 12.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Subs will be interesting.........

You wouldn't take off either of the Pooper, but you also don't want to have Skelton and McCalman on together for too long as then you're left with only one good lineout jumper.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yet to be convinced about Giteau being in the 23, but assuming your picks I'd much rather To'omua at 10 and then Giteau (if he proves to be worthy) in 12.

Not impossible. But if I understand Cheika correctly, he thinks that Foley and Cooper are 10's and To'omua and Giteau are 12's. So any variation on that is going to be because of injury enforced change.

Status
Not open for further replies.