• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In terms of the 10/12 channel, like others have said, I think Foley will go to a wing, with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) defending at 12 and Giteau at 10. I imagine they would then be relying on Hooper to protect the 10 channel from having to make too many one on one tackles with his shooting defense, and Pocock lurking behind to clean up any he misses/make some pilfers.

As for the general issue with hiding two sub par defenders, the Tahs have been doing it with Beale and Foley (and Giteau is a better defender than Beale). I know it's Test level and it's different, but at least we're not going in completely blind.

Foley's misses by the Argies were not "normal" for him, the ones I noticed were all him being stepped around while going for a "around the legs" tackle.

He bends his back, puts his body on the line and has a go

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
At first glance it looks like there are no powerful crashball runners in the forwards but I think Sio can that job probably better than Palu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U'm looking forward to Sio demolishing the AB front row, with assistance from Keps/

It will be interesting to see their effort across the park.

My biffest concern is SBW on Gits. Hooper or Poey or both will want to cover that 12 channel to stop the offloads

Go the Wallabies

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Horwill and Mumm. What the Cheika?

It's like that movie where the dude wakes up and it's 1960.

Someone needs to smash the rucks. No not everyone does it equally well. Who is the main man? The Brodie Retalick antidote? The AB locks are meaner. That's just fact.

Horwill used to be the go to guy but seemed to go soft over the last 2 years. Mumm's a bit lightweight. Bit more bodies into the contact with that pack I would guess. Fardy needs to be in a bad mood but not give away so many penalties.

Anyway it's an interesting experiment and I look forward to it.

I called a 21 all draw in my local gym's raffle. I get a bottle, protein powder, protein bars and a towel if I win. I'm not sure I want to win, but I'll eat the bars anyway.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Biggest single difference and a crucial one is Foley for Beale. Foley adds alot to those outside him.

More critical is Phipps over White. Beale was playing deep to run onto the ball last year, and White was pegging it straight at him instead of in front to accelerate through.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah, at test level. Moala is a good winger for Tonga

Moala is probably as good as Tomane and Speight and if he continues to improve, will be a far better winger at Test level than either Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
[quote="jollyswagman, post: 772201, member: 5363"

Australia B + Rehab
Slipper
TPN
Holmes
Skelton
Simmons
McMahon
Higgers
Palu
Genia
Cooper
To'omua
Horne
Speight
Tomane
Beale

Does anyone else think the line-up above could beat this week's team?[/quote]

No. Really don't like Higgers at 7 or To'omua at 11 or Beale at 15.;)

But seriously, no. Some improvements can still be made to Cheika's selected team imo, but generally it is stronger than the B team listed above.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Is JOC (James O'Connor) in the squad at all?

I don't know what his form was like in Super Rugby or where they had him playing at the Reds but he was/is a great finisher and is the kind of guy who can score tries from out of nothing.

Like Speight in Super Rugby but as yet un-seen in his admittedly short Test Career so far.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
JOC (James O'Connor) was mostly playing fullback for the Reds............

His form was fairly poor, and would have to be way down the pecking order with the wing talent available.

M

Moono75

Is JOC (James O'Connor) in the squad at all?

I don't know what his form was like in Super Rugby or where they had him playing at the Reds but he was/is a great finisher and is the kind of guy who can score tries from out of nothing.

Like Speight in Super Rugby but as yet un-seen in his admittedly short Test Career so far.

JOC (James O'Connor) mostly played with himself in rehap during the Super Rugby season for the Reds.

G

galumay

Certainly some intriguing selections from Cheika for this game, I guess if we manage to win they will be inspired selections and if not then like usual we can blame the coach!

I like what Cheika is doing in terms of rotating his squad and trying different combinations, it certainly looks like the real goal is developing a WC playing group that can go the distance. I suspect its more important how some of those combinations workout than whether we win or lose individual games in the lead up.

Its a very strong looking AB's side on paper, (when isnt it?), and the Wobblies would have to lift their intensity, be much more accurate, and play like that for 80 minutes to be a chance if the AB's turn up for the game.

If we do everything better than the previous 2 games and the AB's are a little off song then I reckon we are a chance. My heart wants a Wobblies win, my head says if the AB's beat us by any less than 10 we will have done well.

Status
Not open for further replies.