• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I've got a good feeling about this game, I don't think this particular ABs XV is as strong as everyone seems to believe. Their tight five is pretty average outside of Retallick, and I expect our front row to put some pressure on theirs in the scrum. Pooper + Fardy is a pretty good counter against Kaino/Read/McCaw (which is still the premier combination of backrowers in world rugby). If Mumm & Horwill can show some proper mongrel and our backrow hits top gear, I can see us winning a forwards battle.

Undoubtedly their backline has some firepower. Savea is always dangerous and our kicking to the back will have to be wary of giving too much space to Ben Smith or Milner-Skudder. I'm surprised they've picked NMS for this game - hopefully we can exploit some of his inexperience. Kuridrani + Giteau should be a good enough defensive combination against SBW & Smith. Obviously Aaron Smith and DC are a level above Phipps/Foley, but if we can get a serviceable kicking game out of Foley and Giteau reverses his Brisbane form, I'm excited about what Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau & Mitchell can do.

If we can get the ball in Izzy's hands, create some go forward, Foley has a better night with the boot and we shut down their midfield I think the Wallabies have a great chance of winning this game.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Teams at training today. Assumed run on team
Sio
Moore
Kepu
Mumm
Horwill
Fardy
Hooper
Poey
Phipps
Foley
Gits
K
Mitchell
Two dads
Folau

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Official Team Announcement:

1. Scott Sio (Brumbies - 7 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore, C (Brumbies - 94 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (Waratahs - 54 Tests)
4. Dean Mumm (Waratahs - 34 Tests)
5. James Horwill (Reds - 59 Tests)
6. Scott Fardy (Brumbies - 21 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper, VC (Waratahs - 43 Tests)
8. David Pocock (Brumbies - 48 Tests)
9. Nick Phipps (Waratahs - 30 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (Waratahs - 19 Tests)
11. Drew Mitchell (Toulon - 64 Tests)
12. Matt Giteau (Toulon - 93 Tests)
13. Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies - 22 Tests)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper, VC (Waratahs - 106 Tests)
15. Israel Folau (Waratahs - 31 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs - 51 Tests)
17. James Slipper (Reds - 65 Tests)
18. Greg Holmes (Reds - 15 Tests)
19. Will Skelton (Waratahs - 10 Tests)
20. Ben McCalman (Force - 39 Tests)
21. Nic White (Brumbies - 20 Tests)
22. Matt To'omua (Brumbies - 23 Tests)
23. Kurtley Beale (Waratahs- 50 Tests)

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...ew-Zealand-in-Rugby-Championship-decider.aspx

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I was very optimistic last year, in fact I think we could have won the first Bledisloe game if we had a true #10 (Not Beale, thanks Link).

Then came the disaster of Eden Park, where we were crushed unmitigated and I lost ALL faith to win the Bledisloe again.

In the last game we were the better team but they regained up the pace in the last minutes and they won the game. I lost all faith since. I prefer to be negative and amaze me with a victory to be positive and be struck again.

Luckily these will be the last games against generation of McCaw, Carter, Conrad Smith, Nonu, Mealamu and others. I don't think the next AB generation will be so dominant like these blokes. At least I hope so.

Tongan Thor and Samoan Wolverine will bring the Bledisloe to Australia again :p

The big question is... will those players perform as well as they did when they were younger. For example, McCaw is still good, but a younger McCaw would probably run rings around him.
The only player I've seen recently who is performing probably better than before is Nonu, and I think he is out with an injury.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'll add to my earlier post the changes in the team from last years Bled to this year's.

There are many commentators that feel that Australia had a realistic chance of winning the Bledisloe last year and I agree.

The All Blacks team from last year is largely the same as it is this year. The starting XV for the TRC Bled games, the AB's have retained 9 players in the same position.
For the Wallabies, the same comparison yields 4 players that have been retained in their same position.

So tell me this: given that we were close last year, have the 11 additions to the Wallabies improved them more than the 6 additions to the All Blacks?

Bled 2014.JPG

Bled 2015.JPG

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
What is telling for mine is who didn't make the run-on side. Call it "Australia B + Rehab" but as nice as it is to see us with some depth across the park, I can't help but feeling Cheik has over-thought this one. I am generally a pretty optimistic Wallaby supported and was feeling confident until I saw the team lineup. Is that really Australia's best back line?

Pihipps, Foley, Giteau, TK, Mitchell, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & Folau??? Really?

I think the Kiwi's will be licking their lips at this line-up.

Australia B + Rehab
Slipper
TPN
Holmes
Skelton
Simmons
McMahon
Higgers
Palu
Genia
Cooper
To'omua
Horne
Speight
Tomane
Beale

Does anyone else think the line-up above could beat this week's team?

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I'll add to my earlier post the changes in the team from last years Bled to this year's.

There are many commentators that feel that Australia had a realistic chance of winning the Bledisloe last year and I agree.

The All Blacks team from last year is largely the same as it is this year. The starting XV for the TRC Bled games, the AB's have retained 9 players in the same position.
For the Wallabies, the same comparison yields 4 players that have been retained in their same position.

So tell me this: given that we were close last year, have the 11 additions to the Wallabies improved them more than the 6 additions to the All Blacks?

View attachment 6738

View attachment 6739

Biggest single difference and a crucial one is Foley for Beale. Foley adds alot to those outside him.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I probably would have gone for To'omua in front of Gits and Speight in front of Mitchell but his been out of the system to this week so not a bad selection.

I would have gone for Lilo over Gits too. Hope I can be proved wrong.

Although I'm guessing Gits is the best (currently) goal-kicker in the squad.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I've got a good feeling about this game, I don't think this particular ABs XV is as strong as everyone seems to believe. Their tight five is pretty average outside of Retallick, and I expect our front row to put some pressure on theirs in the scrum. Pooper + Fardy is a pretty good counter against Kaino/Read/McCaw (which is still the premier combination of backrowers in world rugby). If Mumm & Horwill can show some proper mongrel and our backrow hits top gear, I can see us winning a forwards battle.

Undoubtedly their backline has some firepower. Savea is always dangerous and our kicking to the back will have to be wary of giving too much space to Ben Smith or Milner-Skudder. I'm surprised they've picked NMS for this game - hopefully we can exploit some of his inexperience. Kuridrani + Giteau should be a good enough defensive combination against SBW & Smith. Obviously Aaron Smith and DC are a level above Phipps/Foley, but if we can get a serviceable kicking game out of Foley and Giteau reverses his Brisbane form, I'm excited about what Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau & Mitchell can do.

If we can get the ball in Izzy's hands, create some go forward, Foley has a better night with the boot and we shut down their midfield I think the Wallabies have a great chance of winning this game.

Gotta love your optimism. Good luck.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
US
Mitchell/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) > McCabe/Horne (2014 model)
Foley > Beale
Phipps > White
Moore > Charles

THEM
NMS > Jane
SBW < Nonu
Carter/Cruden ???
Woodcock > Crockett

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was a pooper advocate and I'm pretty excited about seeing it! Taking the kids down for the game and can't wait!

A lot of it may have come down to 'who are the 80 minute players?'. Both of those blokes are as is Fardy. Possibly none of the locks are so I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish with something like:

4. Skelton
5. Fardy
6. Pocock
7. Hooper
8. Mccalman

Status
Not open for further replies.