• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Luckily these will be the last games against generation of McCaw, Carter, Conrad Smith, Nonu, Mealamu and others. I don't think the next AB generation will be so dominant like these blokes. At least I hope so.

That would seem likely, but we still have some guys who will be round a while yet.......

Nepo Laulala, 23 y/o
Brodie Retallick, 24 y/o
Sam Whitelock, 26 y/o
Patrick Tuipulotu, 22 y/o
Ardie Savea, 21 y/o
Sam Cane, 23 y/o
Akira Ioane, 20 y/o
Rieko Ioane, 18 y/o
Aaron Smith, 26 y/o
TJ Perenara, 23 y/o
Lima Sopoaga, 24 y/o
Damian Mckenzie, 20 y/o
Beadean Barrett, 24 y/o
Malakai Fekitoa, 23
George Moala, 24 y/o
Julian Savea, 24 y/o
Nehe Milner-Skudder, 24 y/o

Or, to put it another way, about 1/3 of the All Blacks picked this year are under 25 years old.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm thinking the AB backline will be

9. Smith
10. Carter

12. SBW
13. Smith

11. Savea
14. NMS
15. Smith

21. TJP
22. Barrett
23. Fekitoa

It's good to know that Hansen and co are still reading my emails :)

It's a good side with plenty of experience for when the Wallabies make their run. SBW is a key player in this side. If he can draw in the defenders then NMS and Savea will have something to work with.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
TOCC, yes. It's something that many have expected since the Beale saga started.

But to be fair, we have come far. If I had thought we might have reached this status by now (when the rot set in) I would have been relieved.

Allow a little hope and excitement. E are not going to win everything, but it's going to be one hell of a roller coaster!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
TOCC, yes. It's something that many have expected since the Beale saga started.

But to be fair, we have come far. If I had thought we might have reached this status by now (when the rot set in) I would have been relieved.

Allow a little hope and excitement. E are not going to win everything, but it's going to be one hell of a roller coaster!

What has the 'Beale saga' got to do with it??

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
That would seem likely, but we still have some guys who will be round a while yet...

Nepo Laulala, 23 y/o
Brodie Retallick, 24 y/o
Sam Whitelock, 26 y/o
Patrick Tuipulotu, 22 y/o
Ardie Savea, 21 y/o
Sam Cane, 23 y/o
Akira Ioane, 20 y/o
Rieko Ioane, 18 y/o
Aaron Smith, 26 y/o
TJ Perenara, 23 y/o
Lima Sopoaga, 24 y/o
Damian Mckenzie, 20 y/o
Beadean Barrett, 24 y/o
Malakai Fekitoa, 23
George Moala, 24 y/o
Julian Savea, 24 y/o
Nehe Milner-Skudder, 24 y/o

Or, to put it another way, about 1/3 of the All Blacks picked this year are under 25 years old.

Moala is average. The others are good but this generation is unbelievable. McCaw, Carter, Conrad, Nonu, Kaino and Mealamu are unbeatable. They are warriors who never give up.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well then (according to the article on the main page):

WALLABIES
1.Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. James Horwill
5. Dean Mumm
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. David Pocock
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Israel Folau
Reserves
16. Polota-Nau
17. Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Skelton
20. McCalman
21. White
22. To'omua
23. Beale

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So that being the case, the 23 is pretty much as expected but we are starting with the pack (4-8 at least) that everyone expected us to finish with.

T

Train Without a Station

I don't really think that's a great team. But a couple of injuries have forced Cheika's hand in areas.

I see the Mumm/Horwill 2nd row being a weak point. Horwill was good against SA and I'm confident of what he can bring being adequate, but not dominant (we just lack superior locks) but I've got huge reservations about Mumm at lock.

It's unfortunate Higgers didn't take his chance because the Fardy/Pocock/Hooper backrow doesn't thrill me as Hooper is the only strong ball runner.

I personally wasn't totally thrilled with Foley against Argentina (due to the quality of opposition) but don't really have too much of an issue with him starting. I think Giteau at 12 will limit his effectiveness though.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Moala is average. The others are good but this generation is unbelievable. McCaw, Carter, Conrad, Nonu, Kaino and Mealamu are unbeatable. They are warriors who never give up.

2015 Moala is very much in the mold of a 2005 Nonu; plenty of brute power, but little in the way of finesse. If he can develop a good passing game and passable kicking skills then I see no reason why he can't follow Nonu's path. I'm hopeful that Umaga can add those softer skills to his game. Otherwise, yes, he will be an average player, but an excellent battering ram at Super Rugby level.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think that is our best team, but I can't wait to see how it goes.

My issues are the lack of a big forward ballrunner and the lack of size and physicality in the inside backs.

But still I'm super excited coming into this weekend. Bring it on!!

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well then (according to the article on the main page):

WALLABIES
1.Scott Sio
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. James Horwill
5. Dean Mumm
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. David Pocock
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Giteau
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Israel Folau
Reserves
16. Polota-Nau
17. Slipper
18. Holmes
19. Skelton
20. McCalman
21. White
22. To'omua
23. Beale

It's just your imagination or some source?

2015 Moala is very much in the mold of a 2005 Nonu; plenty of brute power, but little in the way of finesse. If he can develop a good passing game and passable kicking skills then I see no reason why he can't follow Nonu's path. I'm hopeful that Umaga can add those softer skills to his game. Otherwise, yes, he will be an average player, but an excellent battering ram at Super Rugby level.

Yeah, at test level. Moala is a good winger for Tonga

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I like the team.
But a few possible weaknesses are glaring at me:
How will Horwill and Mumm's scrummaging go?
Actually how will Horwill and Mumm go at starting?

Most importantly, I hope Gits has his kicking boots on (both goal kicking and general play) because I hate to rely on Foley.

10-12 Channel looks like easy metres for SBW and the rest of them to exploit.

The POOPER is pretty bloody exciting. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.