• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1 - Saturday 18 August 2018 - ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would be a few around that would prefer Banks at 15 and Hodge on the bench, i suspect.

I don't see that at all D. I think Hodge at 13, where he has some experience and now a few test matches behind him, with Folau at 15 is a stronger combination than Folau at 13, where he has failed to shine at Super level, and Banks at 15 with no test match experience at all.

Really like to see Banks on the bench.

However, Cheika has a history of not playing his best players in their rightful spots, so anything could happen come Bledisloe 1.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't see that at all D. I think Hodge at 13, where he has some experience and now a few test matches behind him, with Folau at 15 is a stronger combination than Folau at 13, where he has failed to shine at Super level, and Banks at 15 with no test match experience at all.

Really like to see Banks on the bench.

However, Cheika has a history of not playing his best players in their rightful spots, so anything could happen come Bledisloe 1.
I really don't think Hodge's best spot is 13 though. He's got great versatility, true, but he rarely plays 13 and i can't recall a game where he both played 13 and played particularly well.

I have real concerns about playing him there in Bled 1. Folau, at least, can defend quite well in the channel even if some of his better attributes are nullified.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wasn’t he playing mostly 13 for the Rebels when he first got picked for his Test debut?

The bigger issue, for mine, is that he hasn’t played there much lately, but neither has Folau and I think it would upset structured more to move Folau.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Would be a few around that would prefer Banks at 15 and Hodge on the bench, i suspect.

It is all swings and roundabout, Banks looks pretty bloody good, but he isn't the messiah and he isn't today as good as Folau

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One interesting thing about selection options is of our first choice forward pack, Sio, TPN and Hooper are all very light on rugby in the last couple of months and/or are returning from injury.

All three will be in the 23 but do we start all three? Hooper will start but do we leave Sio and/or TPN on the bench to try and ensure we don't have a slow start with a player who is a bit light on for recent game time?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
One interesting thing about selection options is of our first choice forward pack, Sio, TPN and Hooper are all very light on rugby in the last couple of months and/or are returning from injury.

All three will be in the 23 but do we start all three? Hooper will start but do we leave Sio and/or TPN on the bench to try and ensure we don't have a slow start with a player who is a bit light on for recent game time?
Has TPN not been playing for Leicester?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ah that is a while.

Still, lack of footy wasn't an issue for Tui and Latu.

No, not at all. They both did very well.

It adds some sort of risk though so it depends whether you want to amplify that risk by starting 3 of them.

I tend to think Cheika probably will.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
tab.co.nz have opened at AB $1.19-$4.55 Wobs with a 12.5 start. Pretty good money for the "deserved favourites" I reckon.

EDIT: tab.com.au are $1.24-$4.10 & 10.5

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

And replace them with Robertson and Latu, BH? Some people goes to all ends to see their beloved Tahs make up the vast bulk of the Wallabies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And replace them with Robertson and Latu, BH? Some people goes to all ends to see their beloved Tahs make up the vast bulk of the Wallabies.

Robertson and Latu are the players I'd have in the 23.

I'm not sure what I'd do. I guess it would depend on how good they looked on the training paddock which obviously I'm not privy to.

I raised it because I think it is relevant.

I would obviously start Sio and TPN if I thought they were ready to go because they are our best players.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
as much as they seem to think Rieko is a future 13 I think it's obvious on the evidence of the last few Bloos games that he's nowhere near ready to be even a cover option therefore there's no room for Naholo on the bench.

What?

His last few Blues games he was playing 12, not 13.

It's quite clear Rieko is absolutely not a 12 - however he's looked promising at 13.

"Nowhere near ready to be even a cover option" He's covered 13 for the ABs mutliple times, he shifted there in the second half the 3rd French test and looked excellent.

Now I wouldn't start him at 13 yet, I'd start him on the left wing, but let's not go overboard and let's not get playing at 12 and 13 confused.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sio
Taf
Kepu
Coleman
Rodda
Tui
Hooper
Poey
Koriabeti
Foley