• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So hard to know what to do after that debacle.

The reality is that we don't have the depth to make wholesale changes and injuries are going to force us to compromise on some changes we may have made as well.

I expect Kerevi and Cooper will both start next week but beyond that it's anyone's guess.

Foley, Kuridrani, DHP all had absolute clangers that cost us tries.

The forwards were a bunch of powder puffs and the total number of missed tackles were inexcusable (22 by the forwards and 18 by the backs).

That's the issue isn't it, Cooper & Kerevi given they perform solidly won't have much of an impact on the outcome of the game with the other 12 players on the field playing like powder puffs conceeding the breakdown and missing shit loads of tackles.

How to fix the forwards?

I think we at least need to get rid of the Pooper to strengthen the set-piece. At least that is one area we can have competency in. Then we just need to work on attitude around the park and at the breakdown.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The consistent mis-matches of NZ backs and AUS Forwards in the line was a real issue too. Which was probably a big contributor for so many missed tackles.

Not sure if that is poor tactics or poor work off the ball. Probably both.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So hard to know what to do after that debacle.

The reality is that we don't have the depth to make wholesale changes and injuries are going to force us to compromise on some changes we may have made as well.

I expect Kerevi and Cooper will both start next week but beyond that it's anyone's guess.

Foley, Kuridrani, DHP all had absolute clangers that cost us tries.

The forwards were a bunch of powder puffs and the total number of missed tackles were inexcusable (22 by the forwards and 18 by the backs).

and yet we continue to put up solutions that entail changing the backline; and the conversation prior to the games (and all season) is how the issue is the 9/10

and the pigs are essentially the same lot with no real changes being argued or options actually putting their hands up.

Cooper starting at Eden Park? OK no history of pain there ...........

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
and yet we continue to put up solutions that entail changing the backline; and the conversation prior to the games (and all season) is how the issue is the 9/10

and the pigs are essentially the same lot with no real changes being argued or options actually putting their hands up.

Cooper starting at Eden Park? OK no history of pain there .....

Agreed. All this talk about dropping Kuridrani, how poor Gits was, Foley's shocker.

My focus is on the forwards lack of effort and aggression.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How to fix the forwards?

I think we at least need to get rid of the Pooper to strengthen the set-piece. At least that is one area we can have competency in. Then we just need to work on attitude around the park and at the breakdown.

That's definitely a difficult question.

I'm less convinced that having a shorter backrow was the reason for the lineout disaster. Our throws were slow, low and entirely predictable. The movement in our lineout was pedestrian and it was so easy for the All Blacks to know where the throw was going and just get up in front of our jumper. Our throws were so low that it was too easy to get picked off.

I'd be more inclined to go back to Fardy, Pocock and Hooper.

Our lineout has to be much faster though.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Agreed. All this talk about dropping Kuridrani, how poor Gits was, Foley's shocker.

My focus is on the forwards lack of effort and aggression.

Yes, that's where we lost it initially, the backs just compounded the issue.

These same forwards had plenty of effort and aggression 10 months ago, so what's up with them? It's got to be a confidence issue, but where is that coming from? Maybe they spent the last week watching videos of themselves getting smashed at the breakdown in an attempt to fire them up and it backfired!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
How to fix the forwards?

I think we need to decide how we are going to play and pick the best units we have who will play that style. At the moment I think we a picking our best units and fitting them in.

That may mean breaking up the Pooper, but who starts to me becomes dependent on the style.

Do we want to attack the ball at the breakdown or do we fan out, wait for a dominant tackle and then counter ruck?

and then what back row compliments that style?

locks? that can win lineouts and cleanout

props? that will compete at scrum time and not be a total pot plant around the field.

hookers? who can be dynamic and hit their locks

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Cooper starting at Eden Park? OK no history of pain there .....

I can understand the hesitancy to pick Cooper, but at the same time it promotes accountability on a player. You don't turn up and put in a crap performance? Well, there's a guy who'll take your spot next week.

While I don't think Cooper would have fared any better on Saturday night, I'm just over players getting picked basically because there's no-one else.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can understand the hesitancy to pick Cooper, but at the same time it promotes accountability on a player. You don't turn up and put in a crap performance? Well, there's a guy who'll take your spot next week.

While I don't think Cooper would have fared any better on Saturday night, I'm just over players getting picked basically because there's no-one else.

Have you followed Aus rugby for long? Always has been the same

We have more "depth" now, but that depth isn't laden with test class units, just more middling super rugby standard units

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Turning up at Eden Park this Saturday night could be the best option for Australia.

It's hard to see us doing much better than a forfeit.

Why not just take the props, Genia, Pocock, Cooper and Folau?
Then we walk up to Shag before the warm-up and ask if we can borrow his back 5, hooker, centres and wings?
Just like club rugby, except that we actually have props

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Cooper is going to get the same treatment that he and Beale have previously received - they have limited opportunities, then get parachuted in to fix everything then get dropped after we get dominated in New Zealand, as if we have ever not been dominated in NZ in the last decade+.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality is Cheika will need to make some unforced changes after such a dismal defeat.

I'd guess that at least half the guys who weren't in the matchday 23 will probably play this weekend.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The reality is Cheika will need to make some unforced changes after such a dismal defeat.

I'd guess that at least half the guys who weren't in the matchday 23 will probably play this weekend.

Just out of interest who are those guys:

Toby Smith
Skelton
Coleman
McMahon
Timani
Cooper
Kerevi
Hodge
Mitchell

+ 3 to replace Giteau, To'omua and Horne. My guesses are Godwin, Horwitz and Naivalu. They may only bring 2 newbies in if To'omua is only out for one week, delete Horwitz in that case.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Horwitz was a very talented schoolboy rugby player but he's nowhere near a gold jumper ATM. In fact he's got his work cut out snagging a starting spot at the Tahs.

thats true but who would be next in the 12 queue in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.