• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aurélien Rougerie comments on the Owen Franks brouhaha:

"Un faible effort ! où étaient les rayures ? où était le sang ? où se trouvait le geste vers le visage? Il est pas apte à être mentionné dans la même conversation que moi , Richard Loe ou Troy Flavell"

Pardon my French :)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
That may be true, Kane, but there's no excuse for a player to have his hands, especially fingers, anywhere near an opponent's eyes. Didn't a player in England go for 10 weeks for something very similar to Franks' effort?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That may be true, Kane, but there's no excuse for a player to have his hands, especially fingers, anywhere near an opponent's eyes. Didn't a player in England go for 10 weeks for something very similar to Franks' effort?

Didn't a player from Argentina get six weeks for a facial on Brodie Retallick during RWC 2015?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I personally don't have any issues with the Captain referring to the ref by his own name, especially if the ref doesn't. Just referring to him as "sir" takes us back to dreadful days of my youth when anyone in a position of some authority, no matter how small, insisted on being called "sir". I hope we as a people have grown up a bit since then.

Reactions: mst

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn't want to ever call a teacher sir again when I moved from Scotland, so many didn't deserve it and it was the correct term, at a bloody government school. So glad it wasn't the done thing here. Then had a great male teacher that I couldn't help but refer to as Sir, he definitely deserved it. Changed my tack since then.

I like Sir as part of Rugby vernacular. Hope it stays. But as with most things, it should be culturally driven by role models, not mandated by some archaic code of conduct. If it dies a natural death, all well and good.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Didn't a player from Argentina get six weeks for a facial on Brodie Retallick during RWC 2015?

Yes as far as I can recall - and it was 9 weeks. A combination of player, physical and video evidence supported the allegation unlike the Franks V Kane which seems to rely on no physical evidence, no player claim but all on video and spectator evidence.

Report: http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/97598?lang=en

Personally I feel for Kane having to endure the ravings of people for something he is unsure is an issue and making him the reluctant poster boy of other peoples crusade. Pitch forks and tin hats a'plenty!

I don't know him (Kane) personally but I would find it hard to believe he, or the team for that matter, would be so naive or stupid to let an eye gouge go unreported.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wow, Read even gets away with calling the referee by his first name. Shouldn't it be "sir" at all times?

I think a lot of players call the ref by first name if the ref like Poite does calls them by name and not number, Poite called Moore and Read by their first names the whole test. I don't agree with Poite telling Moore to go away all the time, but he seemed to be able to talk to Hooper when he took over as captain, and also I think Slipper who was asking him about something at a lineout .

Status
Not open for further replies.