• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Brumbies - Friday 8 July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The Brumbies played to the standard they have all year apart from their first outing against the Canes. The Brumbies backline with two Wallaby 10s and 13 in 10,12 and 13 and the current Wallaby attack coach couldn't offer less. The forwards not much better.

Really Larkham has been shown up as not being ready for this level let alone test assistant. This was the peak year for the Brumbies since White left and next year will be very trying for Brumbies fans.

At the start of the year I was predicting the Brumbies to easily win the conference on the back of the total lack of threat from the Reds and Force, the consistent inconsistency of the Rebels and a first year coach at the Tahs with some very obvious weaknesses in the squad. What an absolute underperformance the 2016 season has been.

Larkham certainly has a lot to learn. Definitely not a good coach, but I don't think a poor one either. Certainly not on Grahams level who took a finals contending Reds team to a cellar dwellars in one year.

Larkham at least maintained / slightly dropped performance since White's departure.

But I really don't think he should call himself "attack coach" cos he definitely doesn't lead the team to be attack focused.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Brumbores, jesus, wft was that, myopic 2-yard flops and plops ad infinitum then just boot the fucker out and hope to bluster their way a whole 8 yards to the tryline with yet another highly motherfucking questionable truck and trailer maul.

Just give the ball BACK to the team that wants to have some FUN with the fucken thing.

Sorry to spoil the party, guys.

AGAIN.

cheerl.gif

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Brumbores, jesus, wft was that, myopic 2-yard flops and plops ad infinitum then just boot the fucker out and hope to bluster their way a whole 8 yards to the tryline with yet another highly motherfucking questionable truck and trailer maul.

Just give the ball BACK to the team that wants to have some FUN with the fucken thing.

Sorry to spoil the party, guys.

No, I think your description is very accurate. I get so frustrated with the interminable scrummaging to try to get a penalty. The Blues scrum was almost as strong as the Brumbies, and stronger on occasions, but they seemed intent on getting the ball out quickly and using it through the hands to actually accomplish some ground gained, often to the extent of scoring a try.

And it's not as though the Brumbies have a successful kicking strategy. Too many kicks have ineffective chasers so that there is no contest for the ball, and the opposition invariably comes away with possession.

Still, I expect they will have a good win next week against the Force, but I am very worried that the gulf between the NZ and Aus sides at Super level will just be reflected at the test level as well.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I do wonder if you're referring to me and my criticism about Toua... but it's completely justified.

Not that the loss in any way can be pinned on him, but repeatedly (and poorly) kicking the ball back to the opposition with every touch sure doesn't help.

He's not a Super Rugby starter, unless you're playing the Sunwolves....

Happy to put my hand up for naming names after patiently losing my optimism after continuing poor performances.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes, you are one of the posters that I was referencing. It' not worth trying to have rational debate on a forum with anonymous posters who won't be swayed, so i'll respect your right to express an opinion, have my say, and move on and support the positive aspects of rugby,

On Toua,, sure he has had some forgettable moments but he leads the Brumbies in metres gained and is the only Brumby in the comps top 10, he has the most try assists for the team, and is the leading Brumby for carries, ahead of Kuridrani, with both players in the comps top 10.

Stats aren't everything but these are hardly the numbers of someone as dire as you suggest.

Moving on now..

True, stats only tell part of a story. So when a 15 averages 0.68 tackles per game so far this season (yes, less than one tackle a game!), and with a tackle success rate of 46%............but at least he has missed more tackles than he has made!o_O

As for attack, let compare him to DHP in the dysfunctional Force attack (DHP with one less game) we see Toua has less metres, breaks, carries, 25 turnovers, 50% less defenders beaten, less offloads but he does like to pass the ball; about 40%+ more which added to the defenders beaten, clearly indicates he does not like to take on defenders, and avoids contact with passes and kicks.

Should we be surprised? No. He was signed as a fullback in France and lasted less than a dozen games before he was replaced and the game time he got was on the wing when not on the bench.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm pretty sure he also leads the comp for kicking the ball into the feet of the opposition to avoid taking the ball into contact, and throwing passes to nobody...........

Tonight he had a season topping 3 or 4 kicks into his opposite defender.

Reactions: mst

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
clearly indicates he does not like to take on defenders, and avoids contact with passes and kicks.

Yep......... he really does not like contact, and so often this year he's thrown wayward passes that have gone to grown or over the touch line, or as we saw tonight he would just kick the ball away............

Granted, the few times he has taken the ball into contact he's been absolutely monster...............

Also, in defence he's had some questionable attempts to make a tackle.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Also, in defence he's had some questionable attempts to make a tackle.

When he has got close to being in the right field position! The stats also don't tell the story of how many he didn't attempt (i can think of a few) or was in the wrong (field) position to make.

Should we mention the poor kicking to touch?

Toua's "good stats" in attack highlight how poor the Brumbies backline has been this season.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Happy to put my hand up for naming names after patiently losing my optimism after continuing poor performances.

As I've implied to your other mate, there is little point in trying to have a rational conversation with an anonymous poster who has strong opinion.

i'll respect your right to express an opinion, and remain disappointed with your pointed negativity.

Did you see any upside in the game?

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
As for attack, let compare him to DHP in the dysfunctional Force attack (DHP with one less game) we see Toua has less metres, breaks, carries, 25 turnovers, 50% less defenders beaten, less offloads but he does like to pass the ball; about 40%+ more which added to the defenders beaten, clearly indicates he does not like to take on defenders, and avoids contact with passes and kicks.
DHP has had a bumper breakout season and should be applauded for it. The fact that he leads all fullbacks in most stat areas is testimony to that and a clear indication of his dominance in a team that has struggled this season.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Back to the game...the Brumbies were not only outplayed, they were well and truly outsmarted. Good tactics from Umanga that unsettled a Brums outfit that were too slow to adjust and struggled to play catch up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
DHP has had a bumper breakout season and should be applauded for it. The fact that he leads all fullbacks in most stat areas is testimony to that and a clear indication of his dominance in a team that has struggled this season.

Kellaway hasn't been shabby @15 either

Reactions: mst

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Back to the game.the Brumbies were not only outplayed, they were well and truly outsmarted. Good tactics from Umanga that unsettled a Brums outfit that were too slow to adjust and struggled to play catch up.

If any of the ponies coaching staff watched a Blues match video they knew what was coming, so I don't know how the ponies were outsmarted

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There is some delicious irony in folk on here with an avatar complaining about others hiding behind anonymous avatars.

Clearly there is a connection between @glass half full and Toua, either from club, school, friend or family. Good on them for sticking up for the player or players they like or have an association with. The forum is full of such folk.

I don't know of any rugby player who goes onto the field with deliberate intention of playing a poor game. Some from FiveKick apparently do, but that is between them and their bookies.

I am sure that Toua genuinely tries to do his best for his team, both on the training paddock, and at game time. Whether that is up to the "Super Rugby standard" or not is a moot point, but if it is not then his continued selection is an indication of failings by the Ponies recruiters , coaches and selectors, or the lack of depth in Australian rugby, where "not quite up to standard" may be the best we have available.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well, that was the (supposedly) worst Kiwi side playing the (supposedly) best Oz one. Ouch.

Yer bastards, Brumbies, you didn't even have the decency to soften the Blues up for us next weekend. Weak as piss. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom