• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Brumbies - Friday 8 July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
i always hated seeing Larkham line. up for the wallabies as he was so good at setting up the backs and pkaying great rugby, So now hes coach whats gone wrong? Is he a worse Australian version of Sir John Kirwan, in playing talent to lack of coaching ability?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
i always hated seeing Larkham line. up for the wallabies as he was so good at setting up the backs and pkaying great rugby, So now hes coach whats gone wrong? Is he a worse Australian version of Sir John Kirwan, in playing talent to lack of coaching ability?

Too much Jake White induced kickand clap (they are victims of ther own maul success), not enough balls to unleash a good set of backs

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That makes me think - Have they even changed the playbook from when Jake White was coaching?

Earlier in the season they tried to hit the edges, but when it got hard later in the season they reverted to their norm and kicked to the corner and mauled

That works against the lessor sides only

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
True, stats only tell part of a story. So when a 15 averages 0.68 tackles per game so far this season (yes, less than one tackle a game!), and with a tackle success rate of 46%....but at least he has missed more tackles than he has made!o_O
Those defensive stats are misleading in isolation for a fullback, who is the last line of defence, and thus has little control over how many tackles they make in a game. In a strong team defensive performance the fullback may make no tackles at all. That doesn't mean he defended badly. It just means the defensive line did its job.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Those defensive stats are misleading in isolation for a fullback, who is the last line of defence, and thus has little control over how many tackles they make in a game. In a strong team defensive performance the fullback may make no tackles at all. That doesn't mean he defended badly. It just means the defensive line did its job.

That's very true, but in the case of Toua he often puts himself in a poor position to make a tackle, and some of his efforts have been quite lame..........

At least Mogg, who was also a weak defender, would put in a bit more effort to try and make the tackle...........

I think Toua does have a serious issue with contact, which is highlighted by his frequent panicked attempts to get rid of the ball, and that makes him unfit for this level of rugby..........

He'd probably do well to go earn some yen.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Too much Jake White induced kickand clap (they are victims of ther own maul success), not enough balls to unleash a good set of backs

The Brumbies were actually a far better attacking team under White.........

Overall they were a much better team run by a better group of coaches with White, Fisher and Larkham............

The only two aspects of their game that have improved are scrums and mauls.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mayve there are some parallels between Larkham and Richard Graham

Both were fantastic Assistant Coaches at Super level but maybe not HC (certainly RG)

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

IIRC, two missed tackles early in the season let in try's (Izzy being one that blew past him) and neither caused the stats man to do work as he basically sidestepped the player and didn't attempt to even make (fake) a tackle.

I agree in isolation the stats could be misleading, but if you go back and consider the Brumbies losses, the last line of defence was non-existent at times. I noticed last night on 2 occasions where the Blues had numbers (overlap) he just didn't move to cover the gaps at all, yet he has the best vantage point to see it and is supposed to be the last-line of cover.

IMHO, Beale looks like a tackling monster in comparison to Toua's efforts.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
IIRC, two missed tackles early in the season let in try's (Izzy being one that blew past him) and neither caused the stats man to do work as he basically sidestepped the player and didn't attempt to even make (fake) a tackle.

I agree in isolation the stats could be misleading, but if you go back and consider the Brumbies losses, the last line of defence was non-existent at times. I noticed last night on 2 occasions where the Blues had numbers (overlap) he just didn't move to cover the gaps at all, yet he has the best vantage point to see it and is supposed to be the last-line of cover.

IMHO, Beale looks like a tackling monster in comparison to Toua's efforts.

I agree that if you start talking about facts then your argument makes sense. My point was only that a low tackle count by a fullback is usually a good thing.

Reactions: mst

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The Brumbies were actually a far better attacking team under White...

Overall they were a much better team run by a better group of coaches with White, Fisher and Larkham....

The only two aspects of their game that have improved are scrums and mauls.

Which is strange, because White didn't coach attack. Maybe it was a more productive structure.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Tried his hand at some club stuff IIRC, no high level gigs.

If your going to make statements how about some facts. He has held no HC position, in fact not even a formal assistant position. He was an attack consultant for the Sharks a few years back. So there is no basis for comparison.

I really do detest this sort of statement on people with no real facts to back it up, just because they have a certain love hate relationship with many fans.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Which is strange, because White didn't coach attack. Maybe it was a more productive structure.

The execution of basic skills was far better and in Mogg they had a 15 who could get them deep into the opposition half to play to those set piece strengths. Also, and it cannot be understated, with Mowen at 8 they had the competitions leading lineout turnover maker, which made them far more likely to be able to regain possession kicked out, or at least make the opposition's possession from that set piece that much more pressured. Also add in Kimlin and the Ponies had a much strong defensive lineout then what is on the park now.

That said, White's game plan was totally different to what one would think Larkham would bring to the side in terms of backline attack. We just have not seen it, and IMO the passing and kicking skills in the side, bearing in mind the personnel changes have declined.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If your going to make statements how about some facts. He has held no HC position, in fact not even a formal assistant position. He was an attack consultant for the Sharks a few years back. So there is no basis for comparison.

I really do detest this sort of statement on people with no real facts to back it up, just because they have a certain love hate relationship with many fans.

Kafe actually did. He was appointed Saracens HC in 2003 after Buck Shelford got sacked. He talked about it a few weeks ago on rugby 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.